Dog Passport and protection from nasties

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Armytwowheels, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Well after forking out a small fortune to get the dogs passport today. The vet then said I need to get a special collar for her to protect her against sand flys. I said that we were only going to Brittany did we really need one? Yes she said and that will be another £26 please! :Sad:

What do the other travelling dogs do on here, special sand fly collar or not?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'd suggest you return it and get your money back! The charge is extortionate to put it mildly:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-scalibor-dog-collar-c-3_658/scalibor-collars-for-dogs-p-4746

We've been going abroad for years, and never used one. Whilst I understand sand flies can be a problem in some areas, we've never had an issue with them at all, it might be worth doing some Googling to get the up to date recommendations for Brittany but I suspect that area is one of the least 'risky' areas, as I believe the problem tends to be more persistent in the South of France/mediterranean areas but note that not ALL sand flies are infected with and/or transmit Leishmania

• Like Like x 2
  3. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3
  4. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

I don't think it is required for the pet passport, but you should get one anyway if going anywhere near the Med. Not sure about Brittany, though. It might not be south enough to require it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

how do vets get away with their extortionate pricing.

cos we pay it :Doh:

our dog was put on a special diet for pancreatitus.

£72 for a 12kg bag at the vets.

after carefully studying the composition and ingredients we found a similar food at pets at home for £38 per 15kg.

main differences were charcoal content....around 1% more than the vets and slightly less fats...6% against 8% from the vet......fats being the main concern.

the other item was eye drops for the other dog.

£30 from the vet......until i removed the vets label to read...."remove contact lens before use"
    now we go to boots and pay around £6

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Cheaper to get the dog put down and buy another one when you get back home:Eek!:
    Really am joking, I am a dog lover, had 4 wonderful dogs over the years ( one after each holiday):RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Hi
    We travel a lot and always have our little doggy with us.

We never use collars, we use drops

ADVANTIX protects against many things including sand flies

Paul and Ineke

• Like Like x 3
  8. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Totally agree with Paul and Ineke. Our dog had leishmania - we always used to use Frontline on him but this doesn't protect against sand flies. I now use Advantix drops on our other dog. If you read the reviews on Amazon regarding the collars you will see many owners posting to say that their dog/cat had a bad reaction. I really would advise you to use the Advantix drops.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ukbill

ukbill Funster

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Been going for 20+ years, and not once have I got Nikki a collar, Been to the med and all over France and still the sand flys wont touch her. :wooo:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Never bothered with collars either, and as to vets charging silly prices, I have to agree. My Brother in Law is a retired vet. Retired at 45 and absolutely loaded
    None of it comes my way though.......
    Allan

12. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Paul:Laughing:

You rotter:Laughing::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. Armytwowheels

I hope you are in trouble now, or will be when Nikki reads that! Naughty man:Eeek:

As for the collar, I haven't bought it yet as the vet was ordering it in for collection later today. After looking at the reviews on Amazon, where nearly half of them say their dogs had terrible reactions to the collars I will be ringing them at 9am to say I am not buying it. Plus as some have said they are nowhere near the price the vet is asking for.

Thanks for your input folks. Will do a bit of research on advantix. But I am really not sure even this is necessary for Brittany and Normandy.

14. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

If anyone owns a pet they must expect big vets bills, it goes with the territory.

The simple answer is don't take your pet with you abroad or remain in the UK for holidays.

Vets even charge for putting your pet down, cars and Lorries do it free.

15. Armytwowheels

This looks like a good alternative. Do you get yours from the vets? I can only find sellers online that need a prescription.

16. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you get on with your vet - you can ask for a prescription for the product you want then VetsUK will provide the product at a vastly reduced price t what the vet wanted for it.

The charge for a written prescription from the vet is around £7 to £10 but that might vary from area to area I suppose

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  17. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

A – you've been robbed.

B - change to a different Vet.

C - you may need to see this map before you come back to the UK - http://goo.gl/maps/JWjz2

:france::france::france:

18. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Thing is Paul you wouldnt know if they had or hadnt 'touched' her for a number of years, its a diesese that doesnt show till its doing its worst as it starts from the inside and by the time the dog takes a mangy look with hair falling off and bald patches to the joints etc - then its too late to do anything

• Like Like x 1
  19. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Not having a pet of any sort I was wondering if these sand flies everyone is talking about will survive in the UK?.

Just a query

20. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Just one more thing I can add as I was a little worried when we took our Dog to the Dordogne last year. Try to keep your Dog inside at Dawn & Dusk this is when Sandflies are most active & likely to bite, I think the risk is much higher the further South you go especially the Med. Hope the link helps.http://www.lost-in-france.com/living-in-france/pets/807-leishmaniasis

• Like Like x 1