Does anybody bother with car insurance?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Swift, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Swift

Swift

2. sedge

sedge Funster

Yup, 2/3rds of drivers LOL

Who all pay a percentage on top of the premium it should really cost to their insurance co to pay for the fund that pays out should an innocent driver be the victim of an unisnsured one and be injured ..... it doesn't pay for the damage to Mr Innocents vehicle; his ins co have to settle that, and he loses X percent of his NCD.

Makes I mad ....... but unfortunately it's been a fact of life since before I had a driving licence .....

• Like Like x 1
  3. laneside

laneside Funster

Mr Plod has all the power in the World to take em off the road and even crush them in certain instances-----another example of inefficiecy

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Until recently the problem has being identifying uninsured vehicles. Hopefully with ANPR and the new(ish) database facilities it will be easier and will happen much more often.

• Like Like x 2
  5. artona

artona

All drivers should of course be insured but the insurance companies need regulating. My insurance company tried to put my insurance up this year. Last year it was £450 including breakdown cover. This year they wrote to me two months before renewal to tell me that to make it "easier for me" they would bill me seperately for the breakdown at £7 a month.

Then the renewal came through at £600. They phoned to ask for payment and pretended to be shocked when I said no. They apologised for the increase of £150. I pointed out to them it had gone up by almost £250 as the breakdown was on top. Two days before the renewal they lopped £250 to get the business! I went with the AA on the breakdown.

Then we have young drivers being asked £3000 and more. Although if they buy a classic car then they can get insurance for a few hundred as age is not taken in to account.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

This year I had my renewal from Admiral for the 4x4 it had gone up by £20, I rang, complained, I am now paying less than last year..

They love customers who dont switch or complain. Easy money...

Every Year I get my Household Insurance renewal from NU (Aviva), every year I complain, the keep it the same and I manage to get £50 M&S vouchers out of them....

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The uninsured drivers have always been on the road ... and probably always will be , the real criminals are the ambulance chasers who pay fat referral fees for personal details which has lead to the claim culture .. this is soon to be banned but whether the savings made by the insurance companies will be passed on to the motorist is another question..

another case of greed by the fat cat lawyers and we are paying for it :Angry:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/brakes-put-on-car-insurers-trade-in-crash-victim-details-2351713.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/simon-read-referral-fees-ban-will-curb-the-compensation-culture-2352164.html

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yesterday I finaly insured young JJ, £2690. :cry:

Had to pay it in one lump, the monthly option would make a loan shark too embarassed to quote.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Makes me shake my head when insurance companies complain about ambulance chasing lawyers on one hand yet sell data to them on the other.

The main problem with the insurance companies (just like banks) is that they think they have a right to a given amount of profit/bonus each year no matter what they have to pay out.

Seems to me that there is a great deal to be said for third party insurance to be funded by a levy on fuel leaving insurance companies to cover just those of us who choose fully comp.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

glad you got there in the end:thumb:
    it's a lot of money,but as you said when i spoke to you yesterday it's his age,another 12 months older and it will start to fall sharply.:thumb:
    bet you aint seen jj since:Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Good point Graham. It doesn't sit well with me that something you are obliged to have by law is provided by a profit making company. They fix prices, maybe not illegally, but these days its just too easy to monitor your competition and keep prices and profits high.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

I guess we all do (Funsters I mean) its the others that don't and cause mayhem:Angry:

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Funnily enough he's just vollunteered to run Katie to School in the car. The village school Is about 600m away:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The levy on fuel is a proven system as well. A cousin in South Africa told me about it - if they can make it work there we surely can over here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

In 1976 I had a Lotus Europa Twin Cam and I was insured with Cloverleaf Insurance at that time and they wanted £188 per quarter...

At that time I was earning £150 a month...

16. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

I wish that were true. Several months back, 2CV, limited mileage, 20 yo male £990. Last time I got a quote for a classic car was about a year ago: 5.0/5.6l Merc £173, add my 19 yo daughter, £5700. A lot of "classic" policies will only be for drivers >21 or >25.

17. lorger

lorger Funster

So when did this become law and do i need it for the motorhome too

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

in the 1970's an increase in fuel duty was supposed to do away with road tax, well it did they now call it road fund licence, same would happen to any increase in duty for insurance, comprehensive insurance would stay the same price, we would just pay more for fuel.

19. Swift

Swift

Why do cyclists not pay 'road fund licence' as well then, they use the road and should fund some of it?

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Chickens too, they are always crossing the road.

• Like Like x 2