Do you own yours or is it on loan?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Talking metaphorically, rather than literally...we were thinking about fitting a wallclock in our Starburst, that we've had for nearly a year, but decided against if it would mean drilling a hole in the wall to mount it. Set me thinking [always a dangerous condition] about the nature of our relationship with it.

I realised that at the back of our minds on almost every decision made had been 'how will this affect the eventual sale to another owner'? Things like putting mats down to protect the carpets, a reluctance to use the shower in case it gets too scruffy and above all a veto on any wall-drilling! This suggests that we don't really see the van as 'ours' despite being exceptionally pleased with it and feeling extremely smug at having chosen so well for a first van. Do you share this feeling? And does it ever subside?

2. Vic

Vic Funster

I have just changed my van. On getting a valuation for the px, NO dealer even looked at my van and gave me a price while sat in their office or in the van we were looking at. It could have been scrubbed within an inch of its life or a complete shed it did not appear to affect the price. The same applied to mileage and extras. Do the mods you want and make the van yours.:thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

This is a term I often use when talking to motorcycle owners..

Do you own it or have you just rented it from Honda ?

I am DEFINITELY an owner !! ... Everything I have I 'get at' !

It never concerns me about drilling holes and stuff.. We want the van as we want it, not as someone esoteric possible owner in a future realm wants it ! :Wink:

Mind you, it should be mentioned that back in 1971ish I bought an almost new mk II cortina 1600GT

On the way home I decided it was far too boxy, so went straight to my garage detrimmed it, cut the roof off and welded it back on 3" lower ( tilted and raked the windscreen pillars so the oem screen fitted, dumped the rear door windows and rear screen and fitted steel plates with port hole type windows in ! )

There followed several more highly modified vehicles such at 4.5 ltr Vauxhall Victor with the 10" raise on the back and the mk IIII Zodiac rear lights, the 1.6 tranny that grew into a 3 ltr V6 with twin brake circuits etc, the mini with a 2.2 Jag interior, the.. well you get the idea

Sooo perhaps I am not the ideal person to listen to when it comes to 'should I drill a hole or not' !!

• Like Like x 6
  4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

we bought our 1st van in July (after many years thinking about it) and are doing everything we can to make it OUR van, fitting things to walls, extra shelfs etc etc. Some may add to re-sale value some may not but want to make living in van feel like home on wheels.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I started off with a scruffy, elderly van as I've got two dogs and I couldn't be doing with anything 'precious'.

When she eventually falls to bits, I'll buy another pre-loved van :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have seen many German vans advertised with the words, toilet never used, shower never used, cooker never used. We use everything and treat it as home. Am afraid I could not live the way some do. My sister has a three piece in her lounge and for 5 years its never been sat on :Doh:. Come to think of it I don't think the cooker has been used that much either :Rofl1:.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just a thought...
    Re the OP

If you was looking at a replacement van, would you go for one that has a wall clock already fitted or one that you will have to fit one in ?

For me, the more extras fitted the more I am getting for my dosh !

• Like Like x 1
  8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

We use ours as was intended.
    When we buy our RVs, it begins with a complete scrub down inside and out. That way it's amazing what is found, and needs re-newing or altering to suit.
    Then it's a complete service, and put right anything that's wrong or worn.
    We use the shower, toilet, sinks, cooker, microwave, electric and gas water heaters, and all other amenities. That's what we bought it for, the layout and functionality.
    Using the facilities keeps them working, and any faults can be rectified as we go along.
    Use everything and you will be sure that all's well when it comes to sell. Not using things is not a good idea.
    We keep it as clean as possible, and everything is kept in good working order, and maintained properly.
    Anything that is added, has to be needed, and is fixed appropriately. If it is not suitable, removal is easy, and little, or no witness marks will be left.
    I saw a few years ago in a magazine, someone had literally sawn the top off the dinette seats to, 'aid through vision' :Doh: Can you imagine that?

Enjoy your MH/RV and use it for what it's worth.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  9. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

If you need a hook, get a hook, if you need a shelf, get a shelf etc etc I wouldn't not make any modification/addition without considering the effect on resale but small mods like these don't IMHO make much of a difference:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. maz

maz Funster

It is very much my van and everything in it gets used. I'm not trundling off to some communal shower block when I have a great little shower room all to myself with plenty of hot water. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We got our van in March - bought brand new - we bought it to use and love! We have added a few bits, mainly extra hooks in the bathroom etc. We make use of everything in the van - can't see the point of paying for it not to use it. In one of our carvavans we removed the removable carpets and of course handed over brand new carpets for someone else to enjoy when we traded in :Doh: - never done it again.

12. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Its your van so use it, if you want a dump take one, if your dirty take a shower, if your hungry cook. As for adding things on I woudnt just drill holes for the sake of it but if you need something putting up to make your life easier then do it, as if like us your going to have the van for many many years theres no point in struggling.

Case in point for us was the tv bracket, the van does have a tv cupboard but trying to get the tv to a point that you could comfortably see it was impossible, so I affixed a tv bracket to a more convient point, although it was one of those brackets that you can remove the articulated assembly so you only see the wall clamp.

As for making things look scruffy because you have used them, then you would obvoiusly repair and look after it, after all you look after your home and put wall clocks up and I reckon you havnt thought about reselling value when you did that.

So just go for it, after all its yours.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The only thing we don't use in our van is the oven, as we have a double skillet. We also very rarely use the TV aerial as we hardly ever watch telly. Otherwise, it's there to be used and is used to the full :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I hope Slobberdobabob doesnt see this thread.

He likes his 'extras':BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ours is like a Swiss cheese I've drilled so many holes in it to route wires.

The really scary ones are over 50mm through the outside. Finger trembling on drill trigger.

You really get to know a van when you do this and I can't fault Burstner, all top quality construction.

• Like Like x 1
  16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

But even he does not know, when it is the time to sell...

"should the stay or should they go" :Wink::Wink:

17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If it is there, use it! I agree that drilling holes for horse brasses or pictures of your dog or inlaws are something that will effect the value greatly due to it being a personal thing. I have seen many with these left in on part exchange - so they can't mean that much to the person who owned it.

Clocks, I see no problem with as the next owner will find them 'useful', which I think the the key - fit useful things!

People may no want to personalise their motorhome for fear of resale value, due to it being a large expenditure item, which they want to minimise depreciation and protect their 'savings' as it were. Those that part exchange do not worry about depreciation anyway, as they are willing to part with it for pocket money.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tofo

tofo Funster

bought ours dealer was going to fit
    a rear hatch but didnt

so i cut it out myself
    had to to fit it down the drive
    cant get out the doors otherwise

which also ment the fitted heater
    had to go or move

replaced that with a propex heater
    fitted in a bottom draw space

had it reupholstered last year

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I use and fit what suits me and the only thing that has affected the value on all the caravans we had was the carpet which we have always left down and used, it did affect the PX value:cry: but then we do mostly grass camping at dog shows and we do have 6 / 7 dogs with us !!

The previous owner of our van gave us a brand new set of fitted mats but as we were having a lounge carpet fitted at the time I got the carpet shop to make me a duplicate set and he had exactly the same non slip carpet in stock, brilliant.:thumb:

Dave

20. rangitira

rangitira Funster

3M manufactures a device similar to Velcro, you can get different "strengths"

We have a mirror, 3mm glass 300x300mm hanging on one in the M/H No need to drill and easily removed when you need to.
    Sold in Homebase and B&Q, even seen them in Aldi