Do we wave at caravans???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RogeTeri, May 6, 2013.

1. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

I know that the motorhome community on the whole wave at each other as they pass. I love this and enjoy waving and receiving waves too. So far I've not waved at a caravan! It seems to me that they always are looking the other way or are otherwise gainfully occupied. So what's the score? Do we wave or ignore? Do they look down on us or do we them? It may be that tuggers are just another species altogether. I've read posts from one time tuggers who have converted to motorhomes but so far have not heard of the reverse but I guess it must happen. Be interested to hear others experiences

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Good grief.....no. Travelling back today from Somerset, today if we had waved at tuggers as well as Motorhomes I would have developed repetitive strain in my arms. :Laughing:

Aside from that, my I pad auto corrects tuggers to thuggery :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You wave at tuggers if you want....but dont expect a response. :Doh:

purely a motorhome (wave) and motorbike (nod and/or wave to other bikers not M/H'rs :RollEyes:) thing.

could be wrong but i think it originated with the VW camper drivers of yesteryear.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

We always wave back at a tugger or caravan if they wave first.

Who knows, they may be one of our funsters.

We did start waving at caravans but no one waved back hence we now wait for them to wave first.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chipspie

chipspie Funster

nah i dont wave at caravaners as i feel they are different. i used to be a caravaner but i feel i only found my freedom once i started motorhoming. it really is great being able to think lets go somewhere fill up with water and lpg and go. am sure thats why most motorhomers wave its like saying yes we can go anywhere we want as well. its a bug motorhoming once youve done it. be intreasted to hear how many go back to caravans. after motorhoming

• Like Like x 4
  6. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Nooooooooo :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Elaine sits there and wave like a demented old bat at anything that waves at us

• Like Like x 3
  8. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

45% of Caravan Club Members are Motor Homes

Soon we'll outnumber them :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

They're too busy looking backwards to see if their home is still there:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you have now.. see my profile , under avatar

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Oh yes. There is a special wave. Because they tow an A frame we acknowledge this raising our hands and making an A shape with our first two fingers. Wave vigorously and they usually respond.

• Like Like x 3
  12. belboy

belboy Read Only Funster

Hi jim....I would be very interested to hear your reasons for switching to the caravan also your views on the pros & cons of both vehicles.

Cheers
    Tony

13. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Hi Tony
    I'm a tugger and have been since the late 60s. When we retired we got a motorhome cos we'd always fancied trying one. SWMBO suggested we keep the caravan in case we didn't like the motorhome :cry:. Several years on an we've still got both cos the holidays are so different. If we're going to one place and looking round we take the caravan - more space and more comfort especially if we erect the awning and we then have a vehicle for exploring and being a 4x4 Landy we can explore anywhere.

If we want to tour we take the motorhome - easy to up and move on and faciliities always ready to use but once on site have to rely on push bikes for getting about or struggle to find parking in towns. Also swmbo forgets we aren't in 4x4 and has even got us onto the beach in the motorhome.

I have no preference for travelling - I do about the same speed towing as in the motorhome but I suppose I could do 70 in the motorhome if I wasn't too botherd about fuel consumption .

At the end of the day it's personal choice they both do the same job but both have advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose one or the other I'd go caravan but it'd be a hard choice so for now we do both:thumb:.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bradplus6

Bradplus6 Deleted User

I used to find it really funny when people started waving at us because we were in a motorhome - but we did quickly realise it was a motorhome thing. I did used to wave at caravans too but they didn't wave back often. Now I find it hard to resist waving at motorhomes when I'm in the car - every time I see one I'm pointing them out way before anyone else spots them. So if you see a woman in a black jeep waving crazily you'll know it's me.

Dot

• Like Like x 2
  15. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

I didn't realise that John, it explains why the VW '.ers are always the first to wave, it hadn't clicked until I read your post,thanks :thumb:

16. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Our tikes got VW engine and loud exhausts so everbody looks and waves at us sometimes I don't think there all happy waves but he ho kids love it when we go past so my beloved demented one puts her big daft grin on and gives them the royal wave
    Make it big and loud

17. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

We often wave at caravanners. Just because they haven't quite fully evolved yet, doesn't mean we shouldn't be friendly :Wink:

Actually, we also tend to wave at horseboxes, refrigerated vans, in fact any one of the many vehicles that resemble a motorhome at a distance :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  18. JJ

JJ Funster

I wave at folk towing speed boats but only if the boat has twin outboards and isn't red...

JJ:Cool:

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Finally, the ultimate solution.

20. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Funny didn't a certain German chancellor use that phrase