Do I really need a spare wheel? (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I have a long story to tell, so will bullet point it here to simplify it.

1) Motorhome on a campsite and discovered I had a flat tyre. I did not have a spare on board but had a Fix n Go kit.
2) Called Camper Assist who said as it was not a warranty item, they would not assist
3) Called Camper Assist again after checking T's and C's of policy. Agent was deployed (RAC)
4) RAC arrived and advised they could not assist! (They sent a huge breakdown lorry and offered to recover me to a garage)
5) RAC man said "I know a man who can" and will arrange him to come here.
6) Tyre firm turned up. Jack supplied with the motorhome not man enough for the job so a bottle jack was used. [HI]He took the tyre away, repaired it and brought it back[/HI]

The above took several hours to resolve.

Also, a Fix n Go kit is as much use as a pound of tripe in the event of a blowout. Think - blowout, middle of nowhere, poor signal on mobile etc.

I now have a tyre and a Fix n Go kit.

Russell

if you'd had puncture safe in the tyres then you would not have had a problem, no puncture :hardhat::imoutahere:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
puncture safe is an absolute waste of time if you run over debris on the motorway. anything bigger than a 4mm nail and the goo cant seal it.

dont go saying "oh I would see the debris and avoid it" as that's nowhere near the reality of the situation. a big puncture doesn't lead to a catastrophic blowout every time. I know because Ive been there done it and got T shirt

fast moving traffic on the motorway, moving at 70 in the middle lane with average separation between vehicles so a typical journey for most. out of the blue, the front drivers side tyre deflates and starts vibrating. thank god for an observant and courteous HGV driver behind me in inside lane. he moved out blocked the lane and gave me space to steer to hard shoulder. RAC attended towed me off then removed wheel to fit spare. looking at the tyre it had a V shaped cut with a piece of metal embedded in it. not a chance that could be repaired, let alone glued using puncture safe goo or emergency inflator and glue.

for me it was in the UK, but what if abroad and not carrying a spare???? I personally will never risk not carrying a serviceable and legal spare:thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The only worse thing than not having a spare is the stupid emergency mini wheels that a lot of manufacturers fit as standard now. :Eeek:

Human nature dictates a lot of people are going to treat them like normal tyres and drive about for ages on them........like the recent survey that said a fair percentage of people simply ignore strange noises coming from their car, like worn metal brake pads wearing away at the disks.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
It takes more than a can of gink to fix a blow out like this:
Happened to us on a motorway in Spain. I had checked tyre pressures before setting off an hour earlier.
Our MH wasn't fitted with a spare but I'm glad I decided to get one!

tyre.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back