Do I Need a VISA to Travel to USA?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StitchUp, Jul 22, 2013.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Hi guys

Angie and I are going the Philadelphia in September and I just wondered if we require VISAs? We're going for 5 days on a business trip.

If we do require VISAs, what is the best way to get them?

Cheers

John

2. billkce

billkce Funster

Hi

Yes you do. You can do it on line & that's the preferred method.

US Customs are not the most helpful & co-operative of organisations - so I would advise that you are sorted well before you go.

Regards

3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Check HERE. You may not need one if you qualify under the Visa Waver Program(me). :Smile:

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I believe its led to the type of passport you have. I understand that the newer editions do not require a visa,but I wait to be corrected,may be best to contact the Foreign office
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

"The US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) allows most British Citizen passport holders to visit the US for up to 90 days without a visa. If you’re arriving by air or sea, you must get an authorisation via the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) before you travel."

5. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We go to USA quite a lot. A couple of things to add to the above.

If you are a British Citizen you do not need a visa but you do need to register and pay for an ESTA online. Make sure that you go direct to the correct website as agents operate and charge you for it. There is a fee and I think from memory either USD 14 or 15 and the ESTA is valid for 2 years.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You must put the address of the first place you stay each time you go, so have this handy. Payment is online and very easy. Make a note of the very long authorisation number when you get it. Usually takes only seconds for approval

You must have a machine readable passport - look at the strip of numbers and >>>>>>>>>>> at the bottom. If you have that then ok.

USA border protection has zero sense of humour. Don't joke with them.

There is no landing card to complete because the ESTA is exactly that, but you will have a customs form, one for each family. Make sure that you put your allowed duty free on this or you risk confiscation.

The whole process is much easier now than before. Have a good trip

• Like Like x 3
  7. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Thanks all, mission accomplished :BigGrin:

I used the link provided by Rob and Val https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ being careful not to end up using one of those expensive agencies!

8. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

The customs official we encountered in Seattle in June on our way to Fairbanks was the most miserable person I've ever seen, I think that they have to ungergo a personality removal before they can qualify, miserable grumpy sod! :swear:
    In comparison the same official in Fairbanks was helpful, cheerful and wished us a good vacation, he made our day.!! :thumb: