Do I buy a new phone or get a contract ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If you had a good ipone 11 or 12 for trade in, I would have bought it from you. Heavily considered a refurbished one for John but difficult to vet the sellers and what you might get and it’s origins. I have an 11 which is daughter’s old one and absolutely fine.
Have just bought John a new 12 so for once he is one up on me!
We will be selling 2 iphone 12's if we take out the contract. 😉

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
When I needed a new phone a couple of years ago I looked around at contracts and outright purchase. Best I could find then was with Sky mobile. I went with lowest sim plan as they didn’t work for me, never fitted the Sky SIM and continued using the one I had from 3.

Not looked at deals since so don’t know if this is still a viable option but worth a look. Prior to that I would never even though of Sky for a phone👍

Edit, the deal was for an iPhone 13 Pro Max which was the top iPhone at that time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Or just hang on for the next model!

new 20.jpg

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We prefer Iphones and thinking of upgrading to the iphone 15pro.
Just got one, and a fantastic camera. Only issue I have that it does get hot but this is a known issue and Apple are working on a fix.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am unfortunately a slave to iphones I’m embarrassed to say. I blame my daughter. When she did her Erasmus year in Madrid and Porto in 2010/2011 there was no whatsap , you only had imessage and that was so novel and I got sucked into buying iphone 3’s for us as my baby was very isolated working in an engineering company(my excuse and I’m sticking to it)!

Until recently I’d always bought my iphones plus a sim only deal. In the Summer Martin Lewis advertised a iphone14 with a 2 year contract from O2 , 60gb, for the cost of the phone. Even taking into account the fact that O2 are the worst for the annual price increases it was too good a deal to miss. I’ve diarised the 23 months to give 30 days notice to cancel.

As he says iphones are never money saving but if you want one then find the cheapest way to get one.

Nick has an android phone plus Lebara. He’s happy. It’s my little weakness.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Just updated my iPhone SE to a 15. Got £90 trade in and paying the rest at £29 per month for 2 years. Generally keep a phone for 4 years (or until I lose it!)

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
last year I replaced both the company phones with new contract deals. Previouly I had seprately bought the phones and sim deals but this time the deal through Vodafone was cheaper than separately. I even factored in a 15% mid-term price increase (CPI + 3.9%) for this year and also 10% for next year and it was till cheaper. So occassionaly they do happen. Mind you they were both on unlimited everything with EU roaming (25GB roaming data limit though). So expensive sim deals anyway.

I noticed the deals were withdrawn not long afterwards as I think they had made a mistake. Oh dear never mind..... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I would rather cover my "Thingy" in treacle, wrap it in barbed wire and shove it into the front entrance of an ant's nest than have anything sold by Apple.

I buy my (Samsung) phone(s) outright and have sim only deal with Vodafone and Nos...

JJ :cool:
Are we to take it you are not keen on Apple products for reasons you wish to keep confidential ?

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I always buy my phone separately and use that leverage to get a better deal with a provider. I also keep it until I regard a new spec as being worthwhile buying a new phone for, really can’t see the point of having the ‘latest’ just for the sake of it.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Pristine refurbished. My phone retailed at £1100 at the time, got it without a mark on it and a 12 month warranty for £760.
Good Lord! £760 ? That's more that I paid for my first camper.
I've had a £30 text and calls only PAYG Doro for 15 years which does everything I need except enabling me to use pay-by-phone parking so I don't go to those places - and I don't miss them.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Good Lord! £760 ? That's more that I paid for my first camper.
I've had a £30 text and calls only PAYG Doro for 15 years which does everything I need except enabling me to use pay-by-phone parking so I don't go to those places - and I don't miss them.
You spends your money you make your choice.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Pristine refurbished. My phone retailed at £1100 at the time, got it without a mark on it and a 12 month warranty for £760. Had it nearly 2 years and in another couple of years when I replace I'll do the same.
herald_400rl and iandsm Can I ask where you go for a good quality refurbished iPhone

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I bought a new iPhone 15 from John Lewis. Had £250 in JL vouchers so was a bargain. I also got back £65 for the 5yo iPhone 8 Plus I traded in.
We use a Tesco SIM which suits at the moment with Home from Home extended again. I’m past the contract date but happy with deal.
New phone is great - much faster and camera better. I also love the clock when I wireless charge it at night. Just tap screen to see it and it doesn’t keep you awake.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought a Samsung A54 5G earlier this year. It's brand new and an Asian import but you wouldn't know, even the language was in English when I first switched it on. Was on ebay for £320 256GB dual sim.
It's £499 on samsung website 😎

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I really cannot understand why the scammers are allowed the "3,9%"
What is it for except to increase profits?
Yep and it’s is in many areas. Broadband as well as phone packages etc. been like not for a good few years now.
Think Tesco club card deals are fixed for contract term though.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Used to have contract one's years ago but buy outright outright now. The flexibility to chop and change sim provider is great. GiffGaff will be getting binned soon due to their dreadful pricing for use in EU. I've always stuck with iPhone, currently have and SE, which has much more potential than I need. I vowed to go re-furbished last time I bought a phone but I had some Apple vouchers........I'm a bit wary of Android as their control over app security is questionable.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Used to have contract one's years ago but buy outright outright now. The flexibility to chop and change sim provider is great. GiffGaff will be getting binned soon due to their dreadful pricing for use in EU. I've always stuck with iPhone, currently have and SE, which has much more potential than I need. I vowed to go re-furbished last time I bought a phone but I had some Apple vouchers........I'm a bit wary of Android as their control over app security is questionable.
Giffgaff OK up to 5gb 👍 shite for streaming I suppose 🤔

Screenshot_20231122_213942_Opera.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Back Market for refurb phones I see a lot come up on Google, might give them a try next time.
Having read up on The I Phone 15, even though it has a 48 mega pixel camera, the new Titanium case is not as hard wearing as the previous SS casing, so after it has settled down initially from doing its software indexing, updating to latest IOS Fix software, and you have turned down the brightness, and disabled a few apps from running all the time, like maps/GPS etc, then the advice is to buy a case to protect it, as if dropped its not as hardy as the previous models with glass screens front and back.
It also has an OLED screen, which if left with an image on full time it can burn the screen, you can use the battery health checker via settings menu, if after a full charge it shows anything less than 10 hours or 80% left, its got a defective battery which can be exchanged in any Apple Store we are told.
Have I done enough to have sold this model to you yet?:LOL:;)
If not see below link on advice to fix it before the next model release outdates it.:giggler:
LES

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Giffgaff OK up to 5gb 👍 shite for streaming I suppose 🤔

View attachment 836629
I normally have a 10gb rolling contract but switch to the 5gb when we go to EU, so I can't go over 5gb and would just start the next months early. They have now change some of the plans so the minimum you can get is 6gb. So if you had started a new plan the day you went into EU and went beyond 5gb and used the whole 6gb, that final 1gb would cost £100. Complete rippoff. I don't use them for streaming only for phone use. I've got the plan where I can switch to a 5gb though.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
bigtree

Just seen these deals on Topcashback - basically a Three sim free for a year!

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you do the maths, it's rare that a contract gives you a discount on the phone. In most cases, it's just spreading the cost of the phone. Often locking you into much longer contracts.

I prefer to buy SIM only contracts and buy my phones outright when I need one.
So do I,and the same advise from Martin Lewis

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Went for a new iPhone 14 last year from Vodaphone shop as they had a good deal, must say that I find their reception crap in a lot of places I go and was better off with my previous EE account☹️
I just go with a 2 year contract now with a new phone as I’m not working much before when I was working the phone would only last a year 🤔🤔
Will be going for another new phone in a years time when this one runs out.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Is it I phone 12 plus ? Would like a bigger screen on my next phone👍

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Is it I phone 12 plus ? Would like a bigger screen on my next phone👍
They changed away from using the plus designation after the 8 I think. On 11 onwards you have normal phone, pro and pro max. Think they now have cut down se as well on some 👍

Pro max is biggest screen

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
They changed away from using the plus designation after the 8 I think. On 11 onwards you have normal phone, pro and pro max. Think they now have cut down se as well on some 👍

Pro max is biggest screen
Daughter has the 12 pro max but has got RSI from excessively extending her texting thumb. I don’t get that way of using one handed, I can only hold in one hand and tap with my index finger of the other hand , or use the speech to text.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back