Disadvantages of a chassis mounted gas tank

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by FM02MZO, Jan 10, 2014.

1. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

I am thinking of having a gas tank fitted in the chassis of our 2013 Bessacarr 584, but our dealer says they are more trouble than they are worth, and wants me to have a bottle fitted instead.

What are your views on them ?

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

First I've heard of that...... I'm getting one fitted on Thursday.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a bit of a faff around to turn off actually at the tank, and have heard stories of badly fitted tanks and the straps corroding but apart from that I can't see any disadvantages.

3. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Thats an amazing statement, I have an underslung tank and the only down side as far as I am concerned is the fact you cannot easily remove it when you sell, it gave me a big locker back , mines a 55litre with the interior gas guage I can just call in and fill up anywhere, would I have another underslung in preference to refillable bottles, yes as long as I was keeping the vehicle for a reasonable time

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Your dealer is looking at a quick fix quick profit thing.

Personally, knowing that, I would NEVER use them for ANYTHING ever again

• Like Like x 3
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Mine was fitted with an underslung tank from new, I think most of the Autosleeper Coachbuilt models now have them fitted as standard.
    Seems to me that it could be more trouble than its worth for the dealer to fit, not for you! The biggest benefit is that you gain extra locker space.
    They can be fiddly to turn off, you have to kneel down at the side of the van and close the tap under the skirt, ( mine has a cover over the tap and dial gauge so that has to taken off first)
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I assume your dealer can supply refillable bottles but not a fixed tank.

We had an underslung tank fitted by Autogas 2000 about 3 years ago and as far as I am concerned there are no downsides except as mentioned above you leave it with the m/h when you sell.

Loads of benefits including a spare locker, which can still be used for bottle gas if necessary and a prety accurate contents gauge in the cab.

http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

More trouble for him!! I'd be inclined to not trust another thing that particular dealer says:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If the tap on the tank itself is difficult to access ask your installer to fit one as close to the tank as possible but within easy reach (maybe in a locker?). It will still isolate the entire internal gas installation & has the advantage that a cover can be fitted over the tank inlet, outlet, gauge, and PRV all of which suffer from corrosion if exposed & not kept clean. I would not go back to bottles, refillable or otherwise, for the reasons already mentioned.

9. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

They're more trouble than they're worth to him, as he can't be bothered to fit them.

As the user, they're great! Larger sizes, weight low down on the chassis. Lockers freed up.

My fixed tank came as built in 1978, but the later LPG engine conversion managed to re-use the filler, so filling up the road fuel means that the hab gas never runs out, either.

10. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I know this is a piece-of-string question, but is it very expensive to have a tank fitted?

11. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

So, who would you recommend to fit a tank to your Motorhome?:thanks2:

12. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

That will depend on your layout. If there is a obvious space with nicely spaced beams above just asking to have straps connected, it will be cheap. If you need to reposition your bathroom to the back to make room...

However, it will probably be more expensive to fit than the bottles, unless your locker isn't big enough for the size of bottles you need and needs modification anyway.

13. icantremember

icantremember Funster

14. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

www.autogasleisure.co.uk

They use their own manufacture straps to mount the tanks and these are far superior to any others.
    They will also do Funster discount. :thumb:

The only connection I have with them is that they fitted my system and I am very happy with the way they went about it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

I love my underslung tank (Gas-It 38ltr, the one with the lugs to attach to the chassis so no straps).

With regard to turning it off being a pain, if fitted right they only need turning off on ferries or the tunnel. I have mine fitted so as soon as the main gas pipe enters my van there is a single tap to switch the gas off. I then have the usual gas manifold fitted after the main tap to isolate each individual appliance.

Can't recommend where to have a system fitted as I fitted mine myself. Maybe Dave Newell?

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I think that the dealer cannot fit a fixed tank but anyone can basically fit a refillable cylinder system, hence why the dealer is trying to persuade you otherwise as he' won't get any profit as he'd just have to send you to someone else to get it done.

As for a fitted gas tank versus refillable bottle, we looked at both options when we got our PVC - we already had a Gaslow single 11kg system but were considering an under-slung tank however the largest we could accommodate depending on the logistics of it was 38 litres (15.2kg) but more likely only 30 litre (12kg) so we couldn't see the point in spending £770 for a possibility of only gaining 1 extra kg of gas, or 4.2 if we were lucky! :Eeek: We therefore stuck with our existing 11kg Gaslow and even if we altered the gas locker to be able to accommodate 2 of them, it wouldn't cost anything like having a fixed tank. I would expect a 2 x 11kg bottle system from Gas-it (using steel bottles) fitted yourself would be around £330, giving 22kg in total, less than half the cost of a fitted tank and more gas capacity.

FWIW IMV unless space is tight and you need to use the gas locker for something else, I'd seriously suggest looking at the bottles instead of the tank especially as you can take it with you when you change vans so safe the expense in the future.:thumb:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=288

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

£770? Ouch :Eek!:

Just checked my invoice and I paid under £350 for the whole system. That was the tank, fill point, holes, regulator, tap, remote gauge and even a couple of metres of protected copper pipe.

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

My fixed underslung tank is fitted with a solenoid valve, switch it on or off from inside the van no problem. Not a problem.

19. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

There are no negatives at all but be sure to use a reputable installer like Chris at Autogas :thumb: check out the gallery pics on their website

My van had a system installed by the first buyer in the first month by a company who thankfully went bust, Don't accept anything that looks unprofessional!

First picture was initial expensive install second picture after I replaced it. See gas isolation is easy and euro tunnel were happy.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Freed up gas locker space pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]