Digital ariel.

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Paulh, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Paulh

Paulh Read Only Funster

Hi folks, does anyone have any views on going digital with a Winguard ariel ? I believe there"s an add on by winguard that "clips" on and that"s that, anyone had any experience of this ? Both tvs are already digital so, I guess, if I sort the ariel that"s enough to get digital tv. We"re not into sat tv and 100+ channels as we get enough of that at home, we"d be happy with 4 or 5 . Thanks. :thumb:

2. WillH

WillH Funster

You shouldn't need a "Digital" aerial to get digital TV, any ordinary aerial should do. TV transmissions are just ordinary signals, it's the content that's different.

Rgds
    Bill

3. Paulh

Paulh Read Only Funster

Hi Bill, tried the tv, on digital, with the ariel "as is" and got nout" also when in France this year it was the same "cos les Froggies have already changed. Here, NI., they"re switching off terrestrial tv in a couple of weeks so, I"ll have to sort it somehow, and I always thought a digital ariel was needed ?

4. golly

golly Funster

An ordinary directional aerial will pick up digital signals, we use the same aerial we used when we had a caravan from years ago. I suspect the old "flying saucer" type of omnidirectional aerial will not be very good, I found them hopeless with analog signals:Rofl1:

5. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

We have a wingard and use it no problem with our tv with built in digital receiver, One point the picture isnt good unless you press the little red button by the arial 'in point', (red button activates the built in booster in the wingard arial)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

On our house we have three aerials over 20 years old and receive a perfect signal having gone digital some three years ago. In France you may find that they use a different digital standard, their analogue standard is different, UK is PAL and France is SECAM. The TV itself needs to be multi-standard. Mind you, one of our local TV shops made a lot of money convincing people they needed new aerials. We were in France earlier this year but I never tried the TV at all.

Rgds
    Bill

7. Paulh

Paulh Read Only Funster

Cheers guys, I guess I"m going to have to play with it and see what"s occuring , thanks .:thumb:

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As some have said, you dont need to do anything to a Wingard arial. Just make sure its switched on.

10. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

The only other thing to check is that the arial wire is in good condition and all connectons/joints are good

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Winguard aerials work fine on digital as they are BUT you still have the problem of polarity.

depending where you are the signal may be horizontal or vertical polarity.

Winguards appear to be horizontal only so vertical signals will be hard to receive.

the add on digi signal attachment is also horizontal.

main transmitters such as Chrystal palace, Belmont and Emley moor are horizontal so you should get a good picture, whereas repeater transmitters are usually vertical signals.

sat dish is best as you dont need to retune each new place you stop and the dish receives both horizontal and vertical signals simultaneously (depending on channel being watched at the time)