OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I would mount it under the floor and feed the air pipe in through a sealed hole in the floor. I don't like C0 producing appliances inside the van if not essential
Do you mean under the MH? Won't it be exposed to all the road muck?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I mounted ours under our motorhome behind the fresh water tank and it stays clean and dry, which is helped by the thermal jacket that I covered it in.

1662637563258.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Does the second silence make much difference?

It does not double the quietening but does help to reduce the sound level, but wrapping the exhaust pipe in exhaust manifold wrap does absorb a good amount of the noise that radiates out from along the pipes length.
I fitted the extra silencer and exhaust wrap to try and reduce any annoyance to anybody that we are parked near when our diesel heater is running, especially on start up.

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
It does not double the quietening but does help to reduce the sound level, but wrapping the exhaust pipe in exhaust manifold wrap does absorb a good amount of the noise that radiates out from along the pipes length.
I fitted the extra silencer and exhaust wrap to try and reduce any annoyance to anybody that we are parked near when our diesel heater is running, especially on start up.
Can I ask where you obtained the Exhaust wrap ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can I ask where you obtained the Exhaust wrap ?
eBay, it's surprising how much you use with overlapping, but 10 metres is more than enough.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just waisted more of my time watching this and found it interesting. 🙂 Bob.

Vevor are the Chinese diesel heaters in the photo deemed as "unsafe" by trading standards in this recent thread. :giggle:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Vevor are the Chinese diesel heaters in the photo deemed as "unsafe" by trading standards in this recent thread. :giggle:

That's a little misleading. It's not the heaters themselves it's the lack of coherent installation instructions that has been deemed unsafe.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's a little misleading. It's not the heaters themselves it's the lack of coherent installation instructions that has been deemed unsafe.

I have bought 5 Chinese diesel heaters from different sellers and only the one purchased directly from Lavaner had perfect English installation instructions as it is an upmarket produced Chinese heater, the rest were the usual crap Chinglish Google translation which you glance through, put to one side and use your common sense.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Have ordered a heater off ebay. Just now been out to the van and had a look at where I could put it. There's a good place under the side seating as there is space next to the water tank - its near the batteries and would be very easy to connect to the heating ducts but there is no room for the fuel tank in there. There's definitely room between the passenger seat back rest and the couch but don't think its a good idea for it to be out in the open and anyway swmbo would not like it sitting just behind her. I don't think I would either!
I suppose I could put the fuel tank in one of the back lockers and run the fuel pipe under the van to the heater from there but was wondering if having such a long length of pipe would be ok.
The other option is to put both the heater and tank together in the rear locker and but not sure then how I would get the heat to the van. Would mean a long run of wire to the batteries though.
Joppa Cornwall?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That looks great! Where have you put the fuel tank?

jopparocks , sorry I have just noticed your question re my fuel tank.
I made a 14.5 ltr aluminium fuel tank that is mounted under the rear of our van and fills via a filler point in our rear valance.

1651244466867-png.612103

1651244522610-png.612105

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i am surprised that more use isnt made of the heat from the exhaust pipe. if the exhaust was wrapped in a coil of copper piping and water fed through it, i assume it would act just as coil does in a hot water cylinder (only in reverse)? possible enough heat to heat up a small radiator/heating pipework (as used in an Alde system). if the water content was kept to a minimum then it might be more efficient use of the wasted heat.

here's one example, but just uses a 'heat exchanger' by feeding the exhaust gas through a radiatior

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
i am surprised that more use isnt made of the heat from the exhaust pipe. if the exhaust was wrapped in a coil of copper piping and water fed through it, i assume it would act just as coil does in a hot water cylinder (only in reverse)? possible enough heat to heat up a small radiator/heating pipework (as used in an Alde system). if the water content was kept to a minimum then it might be more efficient use of the wasted heat.

It had crossed my mind, but I think that for the most part that it's complicated and more hassle than it's worth.
Bobil Vans produce a water heater unit that uses a heat exchange in front of the diesel heater house outlet.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It had crossed my mind, but I think that for the most part that it's complicated and more hassle than it's worth.
Bobil Vans produce a water heater unit that uses a heat exchange in front of the diesel heater house outlet.

ive seen the Bobil heater a few times on youtube videos but from memory it utilises the heat from the hot air outlet and not from the exhaust. i think the video i showed on my post is simple enough, but i would be concerned about leaking exhaust fumes (the more joints there are the more prone to leaks, especially if on a vehicle), however by using a longer exhaust pipe and wrapping that with a copper coil it doesnt increase the number of joints that could potentially leak ...

im not saying my idea is a great one, just interesting (to me LOL)

djdriver

Free Member
Dec 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
talbot
The main thing to ensure is that there is no danger of the power supply to the heater being turned of say through the habitation switch. It is important that when these heaters are turned off they are able to go through the correct shutdown cycle. Where the fuel is stopped but the heater continues to run the combustion and air flow fans until below a set temperature. Otherwise damage to the heater may be caused. If it were me I would connect direct to the batteries.
My cdh has its own 75 ah battery, kept charged from a 100w solar panel.
It’s only a 2 and keeps my van ( just over 6 m ) warm.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Pretty much getting my MH set up for when my wife and I retire next June. Am planning some projects for the Autumn one of which is to get a diesel heater for the MH. Have done some research and looked at a few youtube videos and it seems that the Chinese heaters are cheap and effective and easy to fit so am going to order one from ebay. A couple of basic questions though. Firstly my old 1997 Hymer is 7 metres so would a 2 or 5 kw be best?
Secondly I think I'll be ok fitting it but for connecting it to the electrics a couple of sites that I've been on are saying that it should be connected directly to the battery. I would have thought it should be connected through the elektroblock, so any advice on that would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers Martin
Apparently they reckon the 5kw is best, and I just saw Amazon advertising them on a FB page for £139.99.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I am still getting used to my diesel heater. In the main it’s amazing BUT regulating the output is proving to be a pain. If I turn it down to a lower temperature it responds BUT when the temperature drops it often won’t restart again. I’m left wondering if the thermostat inside the MH is faulty - or maybe it’s something else???? Early days so will wait and see.

Jul 23, 2021
Keymer, Hassocks, UK
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta TD61 Fiat
Exp
Since 2021
Lovely tidy looking installation :)

I’m wondering about adding a diesel heater into the warm air duct system in our van with a valve to switch heat supply between it and the Truma gas heater (S3000). I’ve no experience of the diesel heaters for noise and emissions - can you use them on sites without being antisocial? Also, can you use them whilst driving? If so, do you have any fuel cut off in the supply line which reacts to impacts?

Thanks - apologies if these points are covered elsewhere and I’ve missed them. Any other thoughts or comments welcome.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
MisterB further to your interest in recovering exhaust heat loss and making use of it, I came across this video that might be of interest to you as it was to me.

That is similar to the idea I had to make a copper coil around the exhaust pipe, but I assume at a cheaper cost. The only bit I didn't like is that it creates additional joints in the exhaust pipe, but so long as they are made properly it shouldn't be an issue. The heat exchanger could be sited externally, which would assist with the potential exhaust fume leakage.

Great find though and the 'bench testing' aspect shows there is some benefit to developing the concept.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

Two on Tour

Seems my idea has already been successfully trialled ....

In an earlier video he is using a domestic radiator but have had chance to check out what his heat exchanger is though ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Two on Tour

Seems my idea has already been successfully trialled ....

In an earlier video he is using a domestic radiator but have had chance to check out what his heat exchanger is though ?

I watch that one sometime back when I was all enthusiastic about getting all I could out of our heater, but then reality kicked in and I realised it was more hassle than it was worth on our van with routing pipework, finding a position for a heat exchange and fan, fitting a water pump, a thermostat to control the water pump and fan, and an expansion tank.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I watch that one sometime back when I was all enthusiastic about getting all I could out of our heater, but then reality kicked in and I realised it was more hassle than it was worth on our van with routing pipework, finding a position for a heat exchange and fan, fitting a water pump, a thermostat to control the water pump and fan, and an expansion tank.
I understand, but it might be viable for one at a static van to feed a radiator/skirting heating or even at home ....?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back