Diesel Heater Questions (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If anyone want to do a coil, I did 3 so far not for diesel heater, but for the wood stove. The largest coil was 35m of 15mm copper pipe. Find two plastic caps, fill the pipe with water until water comes out the opposite end. Fit the plastic plugs, ( push fit) work well. Put the pipe in the freezer for 1day. The caps will blow no problem as they just push out. Re fit the caps if they out, and take the pipe out and leave defrost for 1hr max. This is to allow the ice to melt from the interior wall, and allow it to move inside as you bend the pipe. Keep the pipe tight as you wind it on the barrel and you get a perfect no kinks coil.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If anyone want to do a coil, I did 3 so far not for diesel heater, but for the wood stove. The largest coil was 35m of 15mm copper pipe. Find two plastic caps, fill the pipe with water until water comes out the opposite end. Fit the plastic plugs, ( push fit) work well. Put the pipe in the freezer for 1day. The caps will blow no problem as they just push out. Re fit the caps if they out, and take the pipe out and leave defrost for 1hr max. This is to allow the ice to melt from the interior wall, and allow it to move inside as you bend the pipe. Keep the pipe tight as you wind it on the barrel and you get a perfect no kinks coil.
When I was undertaking my City and Guilds in Plumbing and Heating many moons ago, when we bent iron pipes, we were taught to fill them full of sand and plug the ends with wooden plugs that we made from scrap timber. A lot of heat and it was possible to bend them on a 'former' without kinking the pipework. It was a lot quicker however just to thread the pipes and add a long radius bend !!!! But learning the technique was far more important than the the practical application on the worksite.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I used to make copper coils when I was using stills to make potchen.
I used to fill the length of copper pipe with very dry silver sand and then hammer flat an inch at each end before forming the coil around a former, so basically the same principle as Raul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I used to make copper coils when I was using stills to make potchen.
I used to fill the length of copper pipe with very dry silver sand and then hammer flat an inch at each end before forming the coil around a former, so basically the same principle as Raul
Used to .....how sad ....:drunk:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Used to .....how sad ....:drunk:

Many moons ago.
With the amount we were producing each week to keep up with demand from the Irish of Luton and with word getting around, it was getting out of hand, so it was only a matter of time before there was a knock on the door from the Customs and Excise, so we shut it all down to avoid a spell at her Majesty's pleasure. I understand that there was many a tear shed around Luton when we packed it in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back