Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just like to ask if anybody on here actually knows about the supplemental heater on My ML-I 580. It is fitted under the left door and is supposed to come on with the controls on the steering wheel, according to the MB handbook. You can put it on some time BEFORE you need to drive, to warm the engine and heater system before you start. They give instructions as to how you do it but nothing comes up on my dash as to what the thing is supposed to actually do and the controls have no mentions. There is a switch by the left knee which will start it but only when the engine is actually running. It is listed by Hymer as a supplemental heater and cost a load of money as an option.
MB use it as the handbook states as a preheater. What am I to do with it do you think Hymer had the ECU controller changed to run only as an extra heat source as the engine runs cool in Winter. If so would MB dealer be able to reprogram the ECU to run it properly.
Anybody else got one on their van and if so does it work only that way. The Dealer knows nothing about it and didn't know it was even there. I might find I am the only one with one on their van.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have something which sounds the same, as far as I know mine only works off the switch you have but even then I don't know what it does o_O but it does seem to make the whole MH warmer when driving at least

I do think it only works when the engine is running though

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have one on my older (2003 316-based Hymer). It is part of the MB base chassis, not a Hymer addition and was available as a Sprinter option. It works only when the engine is running and is designed to heat the system quickly on cold mornings. I used it very occasionally until it stopped working a couple of years ago and I have not spent the money to have it fixed.
In the Sprinter handbook for mine, there is reference to a version of this heater that was designed to run without the engine in order to work as a stationary space heater. That model had a small control panel in the centre console with a temperature dial. I think it was fitted as an option to 'Crew Bus' and 'Minibus' versions of the Sprinter. It might be worth a conversation with a MB truck dealer to see if any modification can be made to yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have one on my Rapido on Mercedes. Only works with the engine running but handy in cold weather to get some heat going quickly.
It has a simple on/off switch and is more useful than the similar item on my Discovery which operates automatically and has no manual control.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have one on my 2007 Pilote and dispite asking at a Merc dealership, reading the manual and tracing back wires I still don't know which switch or how it operates

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Webasto probably, fitted on vehicles for pre heating in cold climates.
Terry it's not for pre-heating in as much as much as you have to have the vehicle running first, it is as JL says for after warm up and demisting etc, we had in on a car.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have one on my 2007 Pilote and dispite asking at a Merc dealership, reading the manual and tracing back wires I still don't know which switch or how it operates
On the car it just did it all by itself at 5deg as long as you hadn't put the switch off, the default was on.

Martin

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
i have one on my 316 sprinter which only runs with engine running . you can buy a kit from mercedes (my local branch didnt have one but could get from germany) that allows the heater to run without the engine running and has a small control box with thermostat. the cost was about £350 last time i checked.

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
yeah got one on mine it only works at temps below 5c

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The manuals are a waste of space sometimes as they list all the possible options and do not tell you what you actually have. The book does say it is wheel controls and a load of other things on there which are not actually there, I can check the Adblue if I play around with the buttons in various combinations, but ill be damned if I actually know which combination works what. It seems different every time.
The diesel heater does come on when the temperature drops to 5 degrees but I have to use that switch, It seems odd but I suppose the engine does run cool and not even get to working temperature unless worked hard. Is it overcooled for the summertime worst scenario?
Strange beast but no doubt I will get to understand all the bits one day.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have one on our 616 Cdi Sprinter. Its an Eberspacher D3S i think. As far as Im aware its purpose is to pre heat the engine coolant prior to driving off on extreme cold mornings. Ive had it running but can't remember if I had the engine running or not. Will check next time I go in the van.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I have an old sprinter based mh with the heater . It is a sprinter option.
On mine it is to heat the engine up quicker on cold start . Tried it ,it is cold today on the 200 meter journey to mh point .Empty and fill, engine running at nearly full temp by the time i got back to pitch so works here . Mine only works with engine running.It sounds like a little jet engine going ,just posted for info in case it helps (y)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
My sprinter has an eberspacher heater. It works without running the van ( off fuel tank and leisure batteries} and probably is for night heating.
The main knob for it is on the dash and seems to have a built in thermostat as it cuts off when you set it.
It works very well but is very noisey despite me fitting a silencer to the exhaust. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back