Dieppe to benidorm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Springer 52, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Springer 52

Springer 52 Funster

Hi we are travelling to benidorm at the beginning of Dec in our motorhome we have not done this before and are looking for best route and also stopovers we are not planning on rushing and hope to be there in 1 week we arrive in dieppe at 4 am in the morning so will probably drive for a couple of hours then look to stay somewhere overnight thanks in advance for any help

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Good advice above, not a good way to start a long journey when possibly already tired

I would expect there to be somewhere on the docks to stop for a couple of hours, better that than finding yourselves in the middle of nowhere with no easy option to stop

If not going far on day 1 I would recommend la Mailleraye sur Seine, newly discovered (recommended) to us last year, now used three times, pretty location, possibly a bit quiet this time of year, but free because of it

Nice bakers, bar, restaurant (not used never seems to be open) and a vet that we will use next time cant recall the price the advertise right now but it would be the cheapest we have used to date (all you need now is a dog :))

enjoy the trip (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Springer 52

Springer 52 Funster

Thank you that is really helpful as we have not drove abroad before and don't know what to expect thanks

5. Springer 52

Springer 52 Funster

Thank you helpful advise we dodnt realise about cats eyes and lights thanks for help

6. tonka

It's a little thing but especially when you go for first time..
    It will be dark till about 8am ish..
    Your driving on the wrong side of the road for first time.
    You have never been that route before.
    Dark roads due to lack of lighting and no cats eyes to guide you.
    Add in any poor weather and it all adds up to give more potential problems..

Dont let it put you off but at least you are now prepared and once you have driven over there for the first time then you will be more aware for your next trip.. May even see you in Benidorm at some point if we visit "Tonka towers" :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. roncab

roncab Funster

There are two very good Aires in Dieppe both two minutes from ferry perhaps stop there get a few hours kip carry on in daylight

• Like Like x 2
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

And don't forget, after a stop, to drive on the wrong side of the road.
    I'm sure we've all made that mistake lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

The aire is very close , as you leave the ferry and get to the roundabout turn right and with the cliff on your left follow the road towards town. Approximately 1/4 mile along is the aire on your left under the cliffs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tonka

The only issue i see with the aire,, they will arrive at about 4.30am in the dark.
    Never been on an aire before, it's a pay aire (€7) so have to mess about getting a ticket in case they come around checking in the morning..

I have never been to Dieppe but a quick look on Google maps and I see there is a big Carrefour supermarket a short drive away and on the route for Rouen.. If it was me, I would head for that. Great big car park and have a few hours until daylight came.. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Good shout that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Agree with Tonka's route in general and use much of it myself which you will find in this attachment that may help you with other route planning in France, and for good measure I've added a second covering Spain (both in the resources section).

http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm
    http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

As you coming into Dieppe you may want to consider crossing the seine at Rouen using the N1338 via the A151. This is a very easy route with no complicated junctions and mostly duel carrageway right up to the crossing and as you cross the bridge (N1338) you immediately enter the express way that takes you down onto the A13 and away you go.
    For an overnight stop between Dieppe and Rouen you may want to consider the Aire at Cleres just north of Rouen.
    I tend to make my first stop at Chateaundun (about 5 hr Drive from Calais) there is a good Aire there and a Fuel stop on the roundabout as you enter the town. I then do a big drive the next day that gets me down to the Aire at St Geoure Maremne (about 8. 1/2 hrs drive) and that puts me just above the Spanish Border. I avoid the tolls on the A63 south of Bordeaux by exiting at Jct 18 rejoining at 17 and exiting again at Jct 12. Refuelling (and Autogas if required) the next morning at the fuel station(and supermarket) on the D810 a few K's south of St Geoure Maremne.
    In rejoin the A63 at Jct 6 and pay the last two tolls and exit onto the N121a immediately after the border that takes me through to Pamplona and I overnight again at the truck stop at Marlofa. Next day onto Zaragoza and down to Valencia and take the A7 to Benidorm.
    Tolls : I pay no tolls in Spain. In France I pay a couple of euros to get through one section of the A13 south of Rouen 2.5€ and the same again at Tours Joining the A10 at Jct 19 and existing at Jct 23. I pay around 5-6 euros to get through the bottom tolls on the A63 (Going non toll down here is a nightmare). The whole route, apart for about 100 K's in France is duel carriageway/toll free motorway. It is snow free at this time of the year because of it's proximity to the Atlantic (the French bit) and we have yet to hit snow on the Spanish side route.

If you want any co-ords for the stop overs I use let me know.
    Safe travels, Beni is a blast in the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Yes, guilty! After our first night abroad. Left overnight campsite and drove about a quarter of a mile on the LHS of road! Luckily there was no other traffic. :oops:

14. Springer 52

Springer 52 Funster

Thank you very helpful info we really appreciate it thanks

15. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Not 100% sure but I think the Carrefour has height barriers.
    I'd just st have €7 ready in change, drive the few hundred metres to the Dieppe Aire and sleep for a few hours, have a leisurely breakfast and carry on.
    There'll be Motorhomes leaving to catch the ferry you've just left so you'll not disturb people.

16. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Pull over, do it in the morning!

Its so much easier than the UK

Driven in Europe since I was 22 - love it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tonka

YES.. But your only 23 now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

I wish!

19. Springer 52

Springer 52 Funster

Thank you for your help we wish we had been doing it for years

• Like Like x 2
  20. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Rather than sending messages of thanks, use the little icons at the bottom of posts to indicate gratitude etc.