Did I dream this ...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dorwyn, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

... or did I actually see a ehu multi fit adapter that had a simple slide switch device for reverse polarity connectors on continental camp sites. I presently carry a 2 pin continental adapter, another 2-pin with a reverse polarity, and a third one for the normal connector in reverse polarity. I cannot seem to second guess which connector it is going to need, but I do seem good at guessing it wrong.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

throw the reverse polarity adapters out.. it's less to worry about and they are not required..

keep life simple... (y)

but I feel another long thread in the making.. :LOL: :whistle:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Well I did wonder. But I wouldn't like to electricute the missus before she makes the tea

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

...on some sites you'd not have enough power to make the tea.............

• Like Like x 2
  5. scotjimland

use gas..

6. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

For the missus? Nar, she's awright!

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is pretty much impossible to toast your self ( !! ) with a reverse polarity set up..
    I have never ever bothered about it..

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Amongst believers (that reverse polarity adopters are a waste of good money)!

Yay!

Ian

9. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

No doubt this has been said before but as far as I know reverse polarity on foreign vans and modern British ones is not a big deal.

On older british caravans (and I think some older British motorhomes) the RCD /ELCB (the safety breaker) was a single pole device ie it only interrupted the single "live" supply therefore if the polarity were reversed ( live becomes neutral & vice versa) then it would be the "neutral" supply that was cut off when the RCD was tripped leaving the whole installation live and obviously dangerous!.

On foreign and newer British vans the RCD is a double pole device ie both live and neutral wires are open circuit when tripped thus ensuring that no ac electricity enters the van beyond the RCD, rendering the whole installation safe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

So, based on the above, if you have an older van then use a reverse polarity 'corrector' adapter, otherwise on modern vans you don't need to ... 'cause that's what they said! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you still want to 'correct' reverse polarity you don't need the 2-pin reverse one - what you need to do is just take the normal 2-pin adapter and the UK reverse polarity connector, then if you find a site with the 2-pin adapter that is 'wrong' put the 2-pin in first, then the UK adapter then the lead ... 1 less bit of kit to carry around.

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If folk wanna worry about it, good luck to them
    If folk wanna chuck hard earned at converters and detectors .. good luck to them

• Like Like x 2
  13. weebill

weebill Funster Life Member

So, just to be clear, reverse polarity has no effect on electrics in a newish (5 yrs old in my case) Motorhome?

Cheers
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

Just for the record..

you cannot buy a reverse polarity adapter lead in the UK.. UNLESS it has been made up by someone privately and sold on eBay .. you won't find in a camp shop or caravan dealers .. it is illegal to make and sell commercially ... you can of course make one yourself..

You cannot buy one abroad as there is no demand .. no need

I have never seen the adapter the OP is asking about..

You will rarely .. if ever, find a UK site EHU with reverse polarity.
    Electrical standards of installation, inspection and testing in the UK is probably the highest in the world. UK sites by law have to be electrically tested annually.

I am not aware of any mains equipment that is polarity sensitive.

The (perceived) problem with electricity is not the 'polarity', either reverse or correct - it's doing stupid things like sticking a knife into a toaster while it is still plugged in.. yes.. even to retrieve a bit of stuck bread.. UNPLUG

Don't touch the inner workings of anything electrical with anything, until it is unplugged.

In the case of any piece of equipment in your van which is fixed into the van, rather than connected via an electric socket, unplug from the hook-up

Unplug from the socket before poking inside anything!

It's impossible to legislate to stop people being stupid with electricity.. people die every year by being stupid.. but not from reverse polarity

• Like Like x 6
  15. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Correct.

And to be clear, it has no effect on any vehicle regardless of age UNLESS you are minded to go poking about behind covers without isolating beforehand.

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ooh - a whole thread of common sense :D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

On the prison camp camp site we stayed on in Portugal the guy opening the electric cabinet said can you check to make sure polarity is OK, must be used to weird Brits, I said it's fine didn't bother to check.

One point older foreign vans often don't have an RCD fitted, our last Hymer didn't, 2008 vintage I fitted one myself, neither did the Hobby caravan we had before.

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

A combined reverse polarity and gassing thread?

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. scotjimland

If an RCD is not fitted it should be fitted as soon as possible to bring it into line with current IEE regulations

7.9.2 - Caravan installations.

4. - Protection by automatic disconnection (as for all other installations) but using double pole MCBs to disconnect all live conductors, together with a double pole RCD complying with BS 4293, BS EN 61008-1 or BS EN 61009-1 with an operating current of 30 mA and means of isolating the complete caravan installation must be used.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

The state of some foreign ehus is just frightening. I'm not so sure that it is impossible to toast yourself with them, but at least I needn't worry about their polarity any more. Right or wrong, they're still dangerous.

• Like Like x 1