Detailed Road maps of European countries recommendations ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good morning to you all, we are off to Croatia in a few weeks we have a sat nav, but would also like to get individual country detailed road maps as a back up. Can you recommend a brand? i've noticed this morning that some actually are for MH's and caravans these would be more helpful. We are looking for maps of Gemany, Austria, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland, France. Look forward to your recommendations ? Or do you have any latest editions for sale that you have no use for ? :cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use the Michelin map books but also have a paper map of the entire country, such as Spain or France, so you can see the entire country in one glance. I find this invaluable for planning a route across a country. It's much harder with an atlas when you can only see a small fraction of the country on each page.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use the Michelin map books but also have a paper map of the entire country, such as Spain or France, so you can see the entire country in one glance. I find this invaluable for planning a route across a country. It's much harder with an atlas when you can only see a small fraction of the country on each page.
Great advice thanks (y)

Reactions: DBK

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We do exactly the same, my wife plots our course as we travel occasionally overriding the sat nav which then re-calculates. Also jots down if we have had a good journey break at a nice cafe in case we are passing again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Michelin maps .. buy one of Europe and one for each country you visit ,, also local maps for more details .. I love them.

I buy a new map of France every couple of years.. I use them for marking the route taken or planned with a highlighter, taking notes, marking sites and aires, weather etc .. sometimes just thoughts..

yes, it's old school but they make great logbooks of a journey .. I have maps my dad made when he was touring the UK with a motorcycle and sidecar.. camping in those days was indeed basic...

internet logs... or journals.. will eventually be lost.. or deleted. why I don't other with them.. paper records, can last hundreds of years .. I have a pile of maps going back to the early 90s .. they are my travel history ..

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use the Michelin map books for planning. Far better than anything on a screen as they give a good overall presentation of the whole adventure plus a retained mental picture of the route and I jot down the major towns along the way.
I generally use GPS only for negotiating through towns since when travelling solo it's not easy in a m/h to find somewhere to pull over to look at a map when in busy streets.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Pretty much as DBK says. We like the large (A3) Michelin both for its scale and also because you don’t have to turn pages as often as smaller atlases. Also, that map has the whole country divided up into regions so you plan trips very easily before going to the detailed map. Only down side is I think the latest France map is 2021 and there are lots of changes in France. Perhaps there will be a 2024 release later.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Google and maps.me

Maps.me is an app. You can pre download what you need to no need to be online to use. Limited number of downloads for free unlimited if you pay.(6 at any one time I think) I use the free version as you can delete maps once out of the area you are in and then download the next.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
For individual countries Freytag and Berndt maps are my favourite.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Michelin here as well. We buy the A3 version from DASH4IT maps. They fit in the door side pods without bending out over the top. Fast dispatch and a good price.
Mike.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Michelin here as well. We buy the A3 version from DASH4IT maps. They fit in the door side pods without bending out over the top. Fast dispatch and a good price.
Mike.
Thanks Mike will look into those (y)

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use the Michelin map books for planning. Far better than anything on a screen as they give a good overall presentation of the whole adventure plus a retained mental picture of the route and I jot down the major towns along the way.
I generally use GPS only for negotiating through towns since when travelling solo it's not easy in a m/h to find somewhere to pull over to look at a map when in busy streets.
Totally agree (y)

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Michelin maps .. buy one of Europe and one for each country you visit ,, also local maps for more details .. I love them.

I buy a new map of France every couple of years.. I use them for marking the route taken or planned with a highlighter, taking notes, marking sites and aires, weather etc .. sometimes just thoughts..

yes, it's old school but they make great logbooks of a journey .. I have maps my dad made when he was touring the UK with a motorcycle and sidecar.. camping in those days was indeed basic...

internet logs... or journals.. will eventually be lost.. or deleted. why I don't other with them.. paper records, can last hundreds of years .. I have a pile of maps going back to the early 90s .. they are my travel history ..
That's a lovely idea, we are only just starting our MH adventures in Europe so hopefully God willing, we will be over there a lot now, we have both retired. Happy days ahead thanks for your input. (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Its a shame Michelin dont do the blue routing maps for other countries, invaluable for planning and shows toll and non toll routes.
Also use them, my earliest one is dated 1997 ... it was used for many years, nearly every route has been highlighted and used.. now in a tattered state.. precious memories recorded on paper..

IMG_2305.jpeg
IMG_2306.jpeg

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Another Michelin map user here... plot routes on a paper map, create route in Mapsource, transfer to GPS unit.

Rarely follow the GPS suggested route, look for scenic routes shown on maps if available, which also show the width of the road.

OP
OP
H
Jun 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Another Michelin map user here... plot routes on a paper map, create route in Mapsource, transfer to GPS unit.

Rarely follow the GPS suggested route, look for scenic routes shown on maps if available, which also show the width of the road.
Thanks Les (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back