Dealer Advice

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by amber, Mar 17, 2010.

1. amber

amber Read Only Funster

A big hello to all you experienced motor home buyers and users.....dealer advice needed
    As newbies we are looking to buy our first motor home and have been getting a few quotes for a couple of vans on our shortlist
    In both instances Discover Leisure has been the cheapest quote by at least £1000 on these vans which are below £40K
    When we have approached other dealers and mentioned this they have warned us off buying from Discover
    Both dealers saying you should always buy from a family run motorhome dealer for better after sales service with one then saying they didn't
    think Discover would be in business much longer and the other saying you should buy from a company with better finacial stability
    Could you please offer your advice or experiences on the above?
    How many of you have actually bought from Discover and would you recommend them or not?
    Have you had any warranty work carried out by them, good or bad?

Many Thanx in advance Amber :BigGrin:

2. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Have not used discover so can only comment on threads already posted.Most dealers you will have to chase to get work done if needed.There are good dealers out there but sadly i have yet to find one.
    John cross have a good reputation but sadly to far for me.You dident say where about in the country you are based?
    Dave

3. tommytli

tommytli Funster

there is a dealer on here that seems very helpful, ive not even bought anything from them and they have helped me lots so if was you i would see what john cross motorhomes have in

4. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

I've said it before, so all old hands please go to the next post, but I think JC is an excellent outfit.

Senior Partner and I went there, a year ago, right after the show at the NEC, saying "we're not buying yet, we just want to learn about MHs." (Don't cheat, it's better to be upfront.) They spent over 2 hours showing us various sizes and layouts, discussing pros and cons with us about what we thought we wanted to do, what our budget was, what experience we had (lots of camping, which is how we knew them) etc etc.

One bit of good advice they gave was that all modern MHs work, and are mechanically more or less as good as each other. (I've had quite a bit of motorsporting fun, so this was useful) They said that the way we'd use a van, the interior decor would be very important - and you can't change that once you've bought.

We were lucky. A van absolutely identical to the one we thought bestat Johns Cross came up on e-bay and didn't sell, so we bought it after the auction. It really is good to live in, fine to drive. It sailed through the MOT today, too, with no work except new tyres since the old ones had plenty of tread but were time expired, so we got these done first.

You've made a good start with this outfit! Most of us are mad slightly unconventional, but it's not a formal requirement of Jim Lad. There are even real live experts here.

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

5. dshague

dshague Funster

amber it would be helpful if we new the area you lived in .
    my experience with dealers is .its a gamble with them all.
    used large and small they are all the same.
    every new van needs warantee work ,sometime parts are there next day sometimes it takes a year .in the end buy from the company you don't have to travel to far to and you feel happy with .

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Good advice there, only comment I would make that it is not normally a gamble buying off us.

Peter

7. dshague

dshague Funster

wish you were near to me peter .you would get my vote for your hard work and all your good advice .wish there were more like you.:thumb: