Day Running Lights.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StefAndDi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

I greatly respect the job done by our heavy goods vehicle drivers and always treat them with consideration. I assist the drivers of large and articulated vehicles who want to pass me, and always 'flash' them when it is safe for them to pull in.
    Since we bought our new motorhome there have been several ocassions where passing trucks have pulled in far too early, before I have flashed them in, and sometimes causing me to brake or decelerate.
    The problem seems to be that our new motorhome has day running lights. They are large, circular, and emit a very bright light. I think that some truckers check their mirrors as they pass and, seeing the bright white light think that I have flashed my headlights.
    As the use of day running lights is not mandatory in this country, and my Mercedes offers the option to disable the feature, that is what I have done.
    I would be interested to know if anybody else has had this experience.
    Stef.

2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

No charge for this advice :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Interesting. If the truckie is worth his salt he should only react to a flashed headlight. Having heads or running lights should not give him the signal that it's safe to pull in. I'm a big believer in having my dipped heads on at all times so I would not be switching off my running lights if it were me.
    Regards Pete

4. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Lorry drivers used to be skilled and safe, knights of the road they were called,and they're respected. Sadly there are more and more lorry drivers these days that are anything but that. I have witnessed horrendous driving of lorries both in the UK and Europe. I wouldn't like to put a % on it and I am sure there are very good lorry rivers around but the number of the not so good appears to be expanding. Perhaps you have met a few of those.

I treat all lorries with caution now, particularly those who I can see using their mobile phones as I pass them when overtaking or when they are coming towards me on the opposite side of the road. Its common to be following one that weaves from side to side of the motorway lane they are in and equally common to look in the mirror and see one just a few feet from your back bumper. It has to be said though that usually the culprits are driving non UK registered vehicles.

This isn't a rant against lorry drivers in general, some of whom are very good and professional I am simply speaking of my experiences.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

A very good piece of information (y)
    Personally mine are low level in the fog light position so they're never mistaken for a headlight.
    I do however travel slightly faster than HGV's or at least at the same speed usually

6. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

That's very interesting, as yet I've not experienced the problem but it's worth bearing in mind. Perhaps our daytime lights are that bit smaller than on a Mercedes, but it a worrying thought, a big artic pulling in prematurely could be quite frightening. Our fiat based van hasn't the option to switch off the daytime running lights..

Wobby

7. chocky

chocky Funster

DRL's are great for their intended use but why do they have to be on at night as well? They should go off when dipped or main beams are in use. The clue is in the description. They are too bright at night

• Like Like x 2
  8. Techno

If fitted correctly they should dim when the headlights are switched on.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tom A

Tom A Funster

I've been a wagon driver for the last 28 years and I have to agree with you. Gone are the days when a driver would jump out of his cab and watch you reversing or stop and let you out at a junction. They'd rather film you struggling.
    Regarding Stefs post. Any driver worth his salt would make sure he knew he could pull in safely despite being flashed in but like I've already said they are diminishing very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Thanks all for your contributions.
    It did not intend that this should be a thread to knock truckers. The vast majority are a credit to their profession. If we are to criticise the few who fall short of the high standards that we expect then we must admit that sometimes us motorhomers and tuggers are less than perfect.
    I simply wanted to let others know that if they think that a trucker has carved them up then there may be some excuse for it.
    Stef.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Techno

Makes a dash cam all the more worthwhile

• Like Like x 5
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

DRLs if fitted from new normally dim when sidelights/headlights are switched on, when retro fitted they probably do not dim.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

14. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

A fellow Trukie waved me back as I parked my truck yesterday @ Beaconsfield services (y)

But for the OP unfortunately most of my colleagues are of an ethnic origin noways & thus are not trained to the same high level :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

When I was driving attics, most trucks would 'flash' when you passed, some cars and vans would, but not always. I could judge it to the inch almost, when I was safely past a vehicle.
    To pull in, when a light is illuminated or not and force someone to brake, or slow, is plain bad driving and stupidity on the truckers part.
    I don't think it's anything to do with your DRL's.

Craig

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi StephAndDi.
    There is NO excuse for pulling in early and all the posts are well balanced. This is JUST an observation and has been made by me,a Megainternationaltruckinsuperstar,(As was LOL !!) When being passed by another lorry as they drew alongside and started to pass,i would be caught up in the dead air zone and my speed would ever so slightly increase,however,self preservation would kick in and i would ease off a little.as one Knight ?? of the road would expect of another,but ,as has been stated,most of us "old ?"(Geriatric !!) Knights of the road have hung their spurs up,so,"Be carefull out there,it's hell on the Hill !! LOL.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. After being overtaken,i would ask Dr. Diesel to "Magic spanner" the pump,his answer was,"It is SMOKING NOW !! if i put any more fuel through,you will block off all three lanes of the motor way.... NO!!! LOL (Prior to MOT days)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Techno

They should pull in at the very least a whole truck length after passing or you suddenly have no braking distance. I'm fed up of boy racers speeding past then sitting on my bumper :mad:

18. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

A lot of the trucks are driven flat out to the limiter, on some can be 50 mph or up to 56 mph and some have a magic switch to go higher. The ones of less mph take 3 days to pass you and cut in tight , like they are glad it's over. It's the way it is now days.

19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

They don't it is illegal. You are probably getting t hem mixed up with HID headlights which many vehicles are now fitted with & are blinding.

No EU directive specifically states that

"Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on."

additionally from 2011 they cannot be anything other than standalone.Headlamp-based systems are not allowed after DRLs became mandatory in Europe at the beginning of 2011. LEDs and low-power, high-efficacy, long-life light bulbs must produce appropriate amounts of light for an effective DRL without significantly increasing fuel consumption or emissions.
    Retro.fits ,well anybodies guess.:D

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I stated that based on what I had seen , my car uses the led DRLs also as sidelights so they dim when switched to sidelights.