DASH CAMS

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Marvic, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Marvic

Marvic Funster

Hi

After watchinga program last night. I'm thinking of buying one. What are your thoughts,:Eeek:

2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We bought one years ago. Always use it, you never know when evidence might be needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Bought my first one (cheapo) about 4 years ago.
    Upgraded several times since then and now have fitted to car and MH.

A bit like driving with a seat belt - you feel a bit naked and prone without one.
    Already saved quite a few clips of "daft driving".

I now wouldn't be without one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I think I heard somewhere that some insurance companies will reduce your premium if you have one fitted. Even if they don't IMO a dash cam is an added level of insurance against all the numpty drivers on the roads, especially if you are driving abroad. We also save some of the more interesting the dash cam files and watch them later when we can't get away in the van. Glad we got ours.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

To the best of my knowledge they have yet to accepted as evidence in a court of law. However, I do know that Insurance company use them when disputing a claim with the other parties Insurance company and in some cases accept them as evidence that there own client is fault free in an incident/accident.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marvic

Marvic Funster

Came across a old post .included .TECMOUN ABOUT dash cams very interesting. Will be dropping hints, re Xmas presents. (sorry I know it's a bit early ):groan:

8. Melvin

Melvin Funster

I'm considering a dash cam,do I need to have a PC to be able to use one.This may seem a silly question but I only found out that to use my satnav having only an i pad is no use.

9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Evidence from CCTV and other cameras and photographic evidence has been accepted for many years, provided it can be authenticated as genuine. Dashcam evidence is no different, if the Court is satisfied as to its source and its integrity it may accept the evidence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Marvic

Marvic Funster

Lttp/www.techmoan/guide-to-dashcams check this out I found it on a old thread

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

After using Chinese cameras from eBay in both car and van for a while I became dissatisfied with the quality so bought a couple of Mio MiVue 518 models, which I'm very pleased with. That model is now no longer produced (though manufacturer refurbished devices are available) and has been replaced by the 618. An important factor for me was to have one with GPS so that the journey could be tracked in Google Maps. In the car I also have a rearward facing Maplin M220, which does not have GPS, and which I bought after a couple of cars being driven by people using phones came up fast behind.

As part of playing with comparing sat navs I have a Mio Combo 5207 LM Truck which has a dash cam (with GPS) built in. That is OK if you can mount it somewhere where the camera can film the road, without obscuring the drivers view, and at the same time it can be used as a sat nav. In the van it's OK because I do the navigating whilst Jill drives and our main (Garmin) sat nav is mounted where she can see it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I would like to think your right ! However, can you direct me to one case, news item or other source of news to show a Dashcam film being accepted as evidence in a court.

13. Borderland

Borderland Funster

My insurance broker lists a number of approved dash cams and offers a discount if you fit one. I asked what would be the situation if the dash cam failed and didn't record an incident and they said it may well affect my insurance claim !.

14. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I think in this case I would not declare to the Insurance company you had a Dashcam fitted. In the event of a non fault claim supported by your Dashcam footage, I could not see them rejecting the footage out of hand because you never declared you had it in the first place. I have not declared to my Insurance provider that I use a Dashcam and have no intentions of doing so either. (I suspect any discount offered would be minimal too).

• Like Like x 1
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I don't scan Court results so I am unable to quote any particular case. However, from my experience, provided the rules of evidence are adhered to I can see no reason to suppose that physical evidence obtained from a dash cam would not be admissible, that is a of course a matter for the bench in any case. As an example of physical evidence, in the Crown Court I once used a tape recording of a suspects voice which lead to his identification by a female assault victim, (she never saw his face and there was no forensic evidence or other identification evidence). Although this was challenged in Court, the evidence was accepted by the Judge as it was found to pass the admissibility test. This was the first time this had been done in a UK Court and the accused was convicted.

The same rules of evidence apply in lower Courts, you may find this interesting

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/court-proceedings/evidence/

http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/enforcementguide/court/rules-key.htm Although this example is published by the HSE the rules are the same in all proceedings whoever they are brought by.

https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/dashcam-convictions/

I retired some thirteen years ago but I have no reason to think the rules governing evidence have changed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Zepp

Zepp Funster

I love my dash cam as I get a record of where I have been

Service Station 1 A49 90k From Portugal.jpg

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have a Roadhawk HD in mhome and an RAC105 in the car. The Roadhawk is by far the best imo.

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Thanks iandsm, I found the link to the Dashcam convictions proposal very informative. I would support it's adoption across the board.

19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I haven't got one myself but this thread has rekindled my interest and I feel a purchase coming on.:)

20. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

You don't need a PC to use a Dashcam, but it would be useful to view the footage on. Many allow you to see footage on the camera itself, some don't have screens on. There are some that use WiFi, so you may be able to use with an iPad.
    Take a look at http://www.techmoan.com for impartial no nonsense reviews on all sorts of models, they mostly have links on to where they can be purchased from.

• Like Like x 1