DANGER: Overhead Structure (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Driving to Stansted down the A11/M11 then across to the A12 to Ipswich I noticed a rash of warning signs placed below huge overhead structures. NOT advance warnings, just a yellow sign bringing it to the driver’s attention.

I appreciate that it may have a value for those information boards which stick out over the inside lane but the worst one was near Colchester where it was under the central reservation of a bl##dy big blue bridge!

WHY?

Gordon

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Driving to Stansted down the A11/M11 then across to the A12 to Ipswich I noticed a rash of warning signs placed below huge overhead structures. NOT advance warnings, just a yellow sign bringing it to the driver’s attention.

I appreciate that it may have a value for those information boards which stick out over the inside lane but the worst one was near Colchester where it was under the central reservation of a bl##dy big blue bridge!

WHY?

Gordon
Because

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Because
I think you will find that heading to Ipswich there is not much chance of heading towards the M5, plus the article says "The M5 has been closed both directions on Thursday (March 2) after a tipper truck hit an overhead gantry. The road has been shut near Cribbs Causeway as of around 8.40am and is forcing traffic off the motorway.". 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We all know that there are idiots about but I can’t see how a smallish yellow sign under the projection would make anyone realise that there was about to be a problem. By the time they realised, they were unlikely to be able to avoid it!

Gordon

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I think you’ll find they’re there to warn heavy plant working on the roadworks of overhead hazards. Most of the A12 is down for major repairs. I can only think the contractors responsible for site signage have put these out well in advance of the actual works

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
The A11warnings have been there since they started re surfacing the road mainly just before and under the bridges the work is usually done a night so difficult to see how a tipper truck driver unloading tarmac into road laying machine with all the flood lights would or would not see these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Couldn't be bothered to look for a pic from Essex :rofl:
Here you go.(y)