Daft question time..

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by peter t, Mar 3, 2008.

1. peter t

peter t Read Only Funster

Here goes... probably going to be a lot more...
    I've been trawling the net looking a various sites and fees. charges for this that and the other. So tell me is the addional charge for an" Awning" the charge if I unwind my awning which is attached to my van or is it for those tent lke awning things attatched to touring caravans.??
    Stop sniggering at the back I said it was daft. :Blush:

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Peter,

From how I see it, If you extend and erect your awning you will have to declare and pay for it.

If you are just "passing through" and do not use,/have no intention of using it you dont.

That's the way we've always been charged.:thumb:

Certainly not a daft question and I am eagerly awaiting other responses.

3. peter t

Thanks for that steve, I think I will take me big umbrella then.

4. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi Peter we have been charged even if not used it some dont charge at all depends on the site
    dave

5. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

Am I reading this right - you have to pay to put out an awning??? If we found a campground doing that here in the U.S. we'd take the owner for a walk and whisper in his ear.

6. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

As a campsite owner I too do not like these charges and find them unreasonable. When we opened we decided one price, thats it, dogs, awnings, extra people and extra cars all included. Its easier for us and easier for the customer no high season or low just a fixed price of a tenner a night. The only thing is if someone does not want electric we say £8 a night as that seems fair. We thought about it long and hard and we think came to a fair conculsion.

7. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Never been charged for our awning but if it was a safari room I daresay I would be liable for a charge!

Regards Pat

8. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi Dylan
    I like your way of thinking, we WILL stay with you when we are in your part of the country,:thumb::thumb:
    Nigel

9. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Thank you Nigel and look forward to meeting you. As far as we see it once the pitch is out and paid for the customer is entitled to use it ! We have many people come back because they feel "free", we also don't worry to much within reason when our customers come and go. One customer always asks if they can leave at 8.30 pm and as long as the pitch is not booked out we never mind - stay and enjoy we say !

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Although I've seen these charges I've never actually been charged for rolling out the awning yet.

11. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Hi Nigel

We have had site owners try to charge us for a rolled up awning on our RV -

trying to charge us for dumping our Black Tank after staying on their site for a week -

trying to charge us for water (because our tanks are so big we must use a lot more than anybody else :Eek!::Eek!::Eek!:)

trying to charge us £5 per night for electric because we are so big we must use more.............. (actually not too far from reality, this one)

trying to charge us double because we are an RV and if we can afford to drive one of them we can afford to pay double :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

We actually had one site owner trying to charge us extra because we had a double wheel axle on the back of the coach and therefore had 6 tyres touching the ground. When I pointed out that most car and caravan combinations had 6 wheels - and some even had 8 - he came back and said - "Aaagh, but your tyres are so much bigger and therefore will kill more grass"

There are currently more than 250 "RV friendly" sites offered in a certain book so we say to anybody with the above problems - get on the phone to us, we will show you where your nearest site is - so vote with your ignition key :thumb::thumb:

12. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: B****y cheek of it !

13. klaatu

klaatu Deleted User

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have another daft question which is kind of related, so I thought I'd sneak it in here.

Are there usually any restrictions on campsites regarding where you park with a motorhome? I have this impression that a typical campsite has some hard standing and some grass, and the motorhomes go on the hard standing and the caravans and tents go on the grass. Have I made this up - can you choose to park where you want?

Steve

14. moandick

Caravan Club Sites allow anybody (other than on 'disabled' pitches) to park wherever they want - it's a members club and members can choose their own pitch - unless the site is so crowded that the Warden has to allocate pitches in order to get everybody on (usual situation) - or pitch sizes vary so much that he has to allocate pitches by size (not a usual situation)

Most private sites have only one or two pitches suitable for RV's, generally hard-standing, but not necessarily so - and mostly NOT reserved specifically for RV's.

The greater majority of sites, both Private and Club, will be happy to park anything anywhere as long as it will fit and won't damage the grass, roads, flowerbeds etc., etc., etc. - and you are willing to pay for it.

15. klaatu

klaatu Deleted User

Thanks - it's silly little things like that, that you start to think about when starting to plan the future adventure :Smile:

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you are tugging a toad you could always insist the awning is not an awning but a mobile carport. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

:Smile:my motto is if they want to charge EXTRAS then we don't stay there,simple:BigGrin:

18. peter t

Sorry but I.ve got to ask... " tugging a toad " ?? :Eek!:

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  20. moandick

swear::swear::secret: Americanisms :Angry::Angry::Angry:

What's so wrong with old fashioned English? It is far easier to say "Towing a car" than it is to say "Tugging a toad". Much better grammatical English :thumb::thumb: