Custom Stainless Exhaust

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by jonandshell, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just had a new stainless steel exhaust made up today.
    The old one had holed on the side exit extension pipe. This was a Chausson fitted part and I didn't really have the appetite to have to deal with a dealership parts department or wait until the next century for the part to come!

The easy solution was to visit Demand Engineering in Stonham Aspal, near Ipswich for a new system.
    Shell and I had already decided that we are keeping the Chausson until it no longer goes, so investing in a stainless exhaust system seemed logical.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I turned up at their workshop this morning for my appointment to be greeted with the offer of a cuppa! Good start!

We got the van onto their 4 tonne ramp and work commenced, I made it known I was an engineer myself and I hope it didn't put Dave under too much pressure whilst I hovered and watched, but he did a brilliant job and I am well pleased with the results!

We opted for a 45 degree downsweep to the exit pipe. This hopefully will prevent ingress of water when the van is parked up for long periods. Also, Dave thoughtfully ensured the whole 'tail pipe; assembly had a fall all the way from the silencer to avoid the same problem.

Demand Engineering are agents for 'Longlife' range of exhausts and components and their exhaust systems carry a lifetime, transferrable warranty.

Just need to get to the Alps now to do a tunnel test, though I don't think the Tranny is going to sound like a Ferrari!!!!!!

http://demandengineering.co.uk/

• Like Like x 2
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

20150121_100229.jpg 20150121_141001.jpg 20150121_141014.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The pics aren't the ones I would have chosen to post, especially after a drive home on salty roads!
    The exhaust was so shiny and new looking before I left too!!!!

I took others, but they were so out of focus that they weren't worth showing!!!:doh:

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What was the cost, approximately?

5. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

Nice looking job there. (y)

6. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Worth knowing. Not far from us so when the time comes I will investigate. Was it expensive ?
    Phil

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I must add, Demand Engineering are located in a former farmyard, now small industrial estate.

There is a waiting room for those of you wish to wait, although the offer of a run into town was there if you wish to do some shopping whilst you wait,
    The grounds are quite large and there is plenty of room to exercise a dog whilst you wait.

My entire system took about 3 1/2 hours.

8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not a huge amount of change from £300 Phil, but I'll never need another.

To put it in context, the best price for the front section alone as a standard pattern part was £70. Add to that having to have a tailpipe made anyway, I thought it was quite good value especially when you consider the lifetime warranty.

• Like Like x 4