Cruden Bay

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Grumblewagon, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Grumblewagon

Grumblewagon Read Only Funster

The kids are safely back at school, our daughter is visiting and the weather is beautiful, so today we had a trip to Cruden Bay. If you don't know this part of Aberdeenshire, please let me recommend it highly to you. Cruden Bay is a small 'picture postcard' village south of Peterhead. As well as having a world class links golf course, it was also the place where Bram Stoker wrote 'Dracula' - apparently inspired by the nearby Slains castle, where he was often a guest. Yes, I know Dracula is set in Whitby, but it was written in Cruden Bay. The village is much quieter since the demise of the railways, but it has a fantastic curving beach and a resident colony of seals. There is a campsite near the village, but it's pretty awful and I couldn't recommend it. However, it's not far to Mintlaw and the very good site set within the Aden country park. Well worth a few days stay. Just north of Cruden bay is the spectacular rock formations of the 'Bullers of Buchan' - mentioned by Boswell in his account of his journey round Scotland with Samuel Johnson. The West of Scotland is beautiful, but so is the East and I recommend any visitors to come and see it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Kids back at school in August?:Eek!:

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Yes but they finish at the end of June

Norman

• Like Like x 1