Crockery Question!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hirondelle, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Hirondelle

Hirondelle Read Only Funster

This may sound like a ridiculous question so please forgive me! My hubby hates any sort of rattle in the car when he's driving. This morning we were discussing crockery and such like for our forthcoming camper-van. He said people would use plastic due to weight and rattling! I don't fancy plastic plates etc. What do you seasoned motor-homers use?? Any other advice on the reduction of rattling objects would be greatly appreciated!

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Plastic for exactley the reasons that your husband gives. We do carry a couple of proper plates and knives and forks because we hate using plastic to eat a meal from.
    Jim
    :Smile:

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Its all down to how you store things.
    AND copious amounts of that rubber bobbly matting. We buy ours from cheap £1 shops rather than camping stores. We also fold the tea towel up and put it under the glass lid on the cooker hob.
    Its not a silent ride , on country roads , but as near as dam on main ones :Rofl1:
    Bev

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Firstly, assume you will not be rattle-free. I hate rattles, but it is virtually impossible to eradicate all sources.
    Secondly, whether you like plastic plates or not, they can be the best choice. We use a mixture of plastic / melamine / crystal plastic because: a) they are light, b) it's easy to pack them for minimal rattling, c) if they fall out of an overhead locker - and they will - they are less likely to damage a work-top or glass hob top. Most motorhome worktops are not as strong as home kitchen ones. They have to be lightweight and will dent quite easily (unless you have a super-premium job with corian tops and we're talking £100k+ motorhomes here). Replacing a motorhome worktop can be an expensive and fiddly job. Better in my view to buy decent, but relatively cheap "plastic" table wear and be prepared to chuck it and replace it when it becomes scratched or discoloured.

Philip

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Apart from bubble plastic we always carry a selection of old tea towels ( gathered over time from charity shops) and replaced when seen. These we wrap plates in and they make great noise stoppers, and gap fillers.

We also like china plates etc rather than plastic but carry extra plastic for visitors, due to weight restraints.

We also find the old tea towels handy for spills etc and wiping the odd damp dog, (we have 2) and if they don't come clean with a quick wash then they are discarded.

Hope this helps for a quiet life.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

And if it does fall out of the overhead locker (at some stage it will, trust me), plastic won't break. Take a look at some of the 'plastic' plates out there, and I think you may be surprised at how good they can be.

7. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I'm reporting you to the RSPCA.

Remember, a dog is for life not just for Christmas, or when they get dirty.

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I use proper plates, cups & glasses. To stop them rattling I use bubble wrap between the plates and tea towels to protect the glasses. I wrap everything in the cooker (grill pan, frying pan etc) with tea towels to stop as many rattles as I can. I also use tea towels to reduce the rattles from the cooker cover. As has been said previously it's damn near impossible to make the van as quiet and rattle free as a car but bubble wrap/towels do help considerably. You will be surprised how many tea towels you'll need to carry for normal use and packing. I have a Fiamma thingy that looks like a hook and can be used to apply a small pressure on to things like bowls to hold them in place. I've looked at Johnscross's site but couldn't find the name of the thing for you.

Hope this helps

Phil

PS. I don't carry extra crockery as I don't encourage people to call for food :Laughing:

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Oops senior moment!!

Dave :thumb:

10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Is it the Omni Stop?

11. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

The biggest noise maker in our van is the grill pan, but its easily cured by the use of a tea towel.

Doug...

12. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

That's the one. Thanks Neil.

Phil

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

:Eeek:do you mean we wont get a cup of coffee offered when we call on you, unless we bring our own cups :Sad::Wink:

errrr how about wine do you have glasses

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've always used melamine so far but have just taken out the cups and put some pot mugs (unused in a kitchen cupboard) in their place as we found that tea and coffee stained the melamine to much.

We have wire racks in the lockers which, together with a few bits or non-slip matting, sort out most rattles but it's virtually impossible to stop everything when going over bumpy ground.

We will see tomorrow, when we go to Linton Lock, whether the pot mugs rattle more than the plastic ones.

Graham

15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Maggie,

Wine no probs! (and real glasses) wear them all the time!:Rofl1:

Phil

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Little ceramic mugs, but everything else is plastic. Less rattles and takes up a bit less space. Cheap stuff and old picnic hamper gear. Nothing matches, looks naff, don't care. It's for eating/drinking...not showing on the Antiques Roadshow :Smile:

17. Hirondelle

Hirondelle Read Only Funster

BIG Thanks to Everyone for all your help/opinions/ideas. I'll be off to the supermarket for cheap tea towels asap, and will raid 'his' garage for bubble-wrap (I know he has some somewhere). I think I'll pack two normal plates and mugs - for him and me, and plastic for those that may drop in! We don't have a dog so no problem with discarding it when it's wet!:Laughing:
    Thanks again - a great help!:thumb:

18. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

My dad used to put 4 small blobs of clear silicone sealant on the bottom of all his plates and bowls etc. Once dried it just lifts them clear of each other and provides a rubber bumper between each plate when stacked. Takes a bit of practice to get them all the same size though so the plates dont wobble when you use them :Rofl1: (He used to trim them down with a razor blade when he got it wrong, the plate must be really clean and grease free before applying the silicone):thumb:

19. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

What a good idea, you can actually buy the rubber blobs , they are for putting under ornaments. You peel them off a paper strip.
    I dont know how they would fair in the washing up though but it would save trying to get them all the same size, and also stop things sliding around.
    Bev

20. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just use 3 blobs instead of 4, then they wont wobble even if they are not quite even:thumb: