Tour Guide Wanted Croatia Trip (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all, I’ve already posted this question earlier but couldn’t see how to post out to a wider group - think I’ve got it now doh! There’s a lot of experienced travellers on here, can anyone recommend their route from Calais to Croatia and their first stop ( avoiding some aires). We are not planning on visiting Italy. Many thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Crossing Switzerland and into north Italy would be my first option.
Why do you want to avoid Italy ?

OP
OP
Carpe Diem
Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013
No particular reason just looking for the most direct route and might come back that way. We leave on 1/9

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Perfect timing as I need to do a similar trip so I hope you don’t mind my jumping in. My partner is sailing out of Pirovac in October and we plan to do a big loop down through France and back through Germany via Austria. She is sailing with a Vienna sailing club hence the return route.

I have been put off the Mount Blanc tunnel by a friend who has suggested going further south and along the coast would be more interesting. The Bedford struggles a bit with long climbs which can make for slow progress. He has also promised a few pointers for pitstops which I will share when they arrive.

Safe travels

Mark

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Something different. Why not plot a route via - Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia into northern Croatia and meander along the fantastic Croatian coastline. Beautiful country side in all of these countries. Don't miss a visit to the Plitvice Falls in Croatia.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Crossing Switzerland and into north Italy would be my first option.
That's the route we took, avoiding Austria like the plague in anything over 3500kgs.
We were en route to Lake Garda and then Venice anyway.

Croatia was lovely.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Also over 3500kg and in no particular hurry -

En route -
Camping Spineuse Neufchatel
Camping St Leonersee
Camping Lido Luzern
Lake Iseo layby
Area di Sosta Staranzaro

Croatia -
Campsite Porto Sole
Autokamp Krk
Camping Plitvice
Falkensteiner Zadar
Camping Stobrec Split
Autocamp Matkovica (bus to Dubrovnik)

Have a great trip!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at my Croatian trip link in my signature, we went down via Germany as we started off at Caravan Salon, then through Austria (no toll roads used) then a short bit of Italy & Slovenia.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Have a look at my Croatian trip link in my signature, we went down via Germany as we started off at Caravan Salon, then through Austria (no toll roads used) then a short bit of Italy & Slovenia.
Thanks. I'll have a shuftie. We're setting off in a fortnights time, and that is pretty much our intended route down to Croatia. Planning on nearly three months away so will be bimbling down rather than blasting along autoroutes.

Our first ever ACSI card and books arrived this morning. Only purchased them as while we don't normally use campsites it looks like that is really the only option in Croatia. Just played with the ACSI app and downloaded the appropriate country maps. Looks like it also provides details of quite a number of aires in Slovenia and few in Croatia too. Paid aires mind, and some not particularly cheap, but at least it gives more options.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Croatia is certainly not cheap and I'm guessing prices have gone up since joining Euroland, if you have time/inclination, visit Bosnia too and you will find it much better value, as well as well worth seeing, there is a border crossing, not far from Plitvic

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks. I'll have a shuftie. We're setting off in a fortnights time, and that is pretty much our intended route down to Croatia. Planning on nearly three months away so will be bimbling down rather than blasting along autoroutes.

Our first ever ACSI card and books arrived this morning. Only purchased them as while we don't normally use campsites it looks like that is really the only option in Croatia. Just played with the ACSI app and downloaded the appropriate country maps. Looks like it also provides details of quite a number of aires in Slovenia and few in Croatia too. Paid aires mind, and some not particularly cheap, but at least it gives more options.
Worth getting a Camping Card as sites in Croatia that don't do ACSI often give 10% discount with a Camping Card. Loads of small camper stops on the coast, usually called Auto Camper stops, a few years since we were there they were around €10 inc EHU & wifi when we were there.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Worth getting a Camping Card as sites in Croatia that don't do ACSI often give 10% discount with a Camping Card. Loads of small camper stops on the coast, usually called Auto Camper stops, a few years since we were there they were around €10 inc EHU & wifi when we were there.
What’s this camping card ? Is it the same as the France thing?

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
Have a look at my Balkans Bound postings (search using my name) loads of information on where to stay and what to see from April and May this year. Hope you have a great time.

Jan 28, 2023
Hull, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2004
Went April to July this year.
Ypres, Belgium
Schengen, Luxemburg
Ulm, Germany
Fussen, Germany
Lake Caldonazzo, Italy
Venice, Italy
Novigrad, Croatia
Rovinj, Croatia
Porec, Croatia
Krk, Croatia
Zadar, Croatia
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Zaostrog, Croatia
Trogir, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
Rastoke, Croatia
Ptuj, Slovenia
Vienna, Austria
Krems, Austria
Ceske Krumluv. Czechia
Prague, Czechia
Cheb, Czechia
Bamburg, Germany
Rothenburg on the Tauber
Eberbach, Germany
Clervaux. Luxemburg
La Roche en Ardennes, Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
Ypres again.
Home
Been meaning to do a journal with some pics. Will get round to it. Wish we had stayed in Croatia for longer.
Croatian highlights were Trogir, Plitvice (and Rastoke), Rovinj, Porec. Split and Dubrovnik were very busy and Dubrovnik was very expensive bordering on a rip off.

OP
OP
Carpe Diem
Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013
That's the route we took, avoiding Austria like the plague in anything over 3500kgs.

Croatia was lovely.

Cheers,

Hi, we’ve never been to Austria, why did you avoid it?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi, we’ve never been to Austria, why did you avoid it?
If you are 3.5T or below, you only require a vignette for the Motorways, ie, cheap and cheerful. If over 3.5T, you are required to purchase a Go-Box, load it up with Euros, and pay for every kilometer you cover. When leaving Austria, you then have to try and get a refund of the box and of the credit left. Many have struggled. :(

You can of course choose to use non motorway routes, however, should you be diverted on to the Motoways and you don't have a vignette or a Go-Box, you can expect to be pulled in, and fined extortionately at the next checkpoint. :cry:

Not for me. Instead I pay the Swiss 32 x Francs for a 10 x day pass, valid for 12 x months.

Cheers,

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If you are 3.5T or below, you only require a vignette for the Motorways, ie, cheap and cheerful. If over 3.5T, you are required to purchase a Go-Box, load it up with Euros, and pay for every kilometer you cover. When leaving Austria, you then have to try and get a refund of the box and of the credit left. Many have struggled. :(

You can of course choose to use non motorway routes, however, should you be diverted on to the Motoways and you don't have a vignette or a Go-Box, you can expect to be pulled in, and fined extortionately at the next checkpoint. :cry:

Not for me. Instead I pay the Swiss 32 x Francs for a 10 x day pass, valid for 12 x months.

Cheers,

Think I know someone who did Austria across and back again and again this year without any go box and apparently this person has not had anything come through the post
This person seems to be made of Teflon 😁 :whistle2: :whistle2:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ypres, Belgium
Schengen, Luxemburg
Ulm, Germany
Fussen, Germany
Lake Caldonazzo, Italy
Venice, Italy
Novigrad, Croatia
Rovinj, Croatia
Porec, Croatia
Krk, Croatia
Zadar, Croatia
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Zaostrog, Croatia
Trogir, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
Rastoke, Croatia
Ptuj, Slovenia
Vienna, Austria
Krems, Austria
Ceske Krumluv. Czechia
Prague, Czechia
Cheb, Czechia
Bamburg, Germany
Rothenburg on the Tauber
Eberbach, Germany
Clervaux. Luxemburg
Ghent, Belgium
Ypres again.
Home
Been meaning to do a journal with some pics. Will get round to it. Wish we had stayed in Croatia for longer.
Croatian highlights were Trogir, Plitvice (and Rastoke), Rovinj, Porec. Split and Dubrovnik were very busy and Dubrovnik was very expensive bordering on a rip off.
Rastokes a great little village isn't it 👍

OP
OP
Carpe Diem
Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013

Cheers,

Many thanks Jock, we understand now - we were considering up playing, probably wait now until after the trip.

Jan 28, 2023
Hull, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2004
Blindfolded tightrope walker was entertaining, especially when he fell off.

DSC_8512.jpg

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015

Croatia was lovely.

Cheers,

Getting a go box for Austria was a nightmare. Ok if you’re van is 3500kg. So I’m with you on this one😊

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Ypres, Belgium
Schengen, Luxemburg
Ulm, Germany
Fussen, Germany
Lake Caldonazzo, Italy
Venice, Italy
Novigrad, Croatia
Rovinj, Croatia
Porec, Croatia
Krk, Croatia
Zadar, Croatia
Split, Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Zaostrog, Croatia
Trogir, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
Rastoke, Croatia
Ptuj, Slovenia
Vienna, Austria
Krems, Austria
Ceske Krumluv. Czechia
Prague, Czechia
Cheb, Czechia
Bamburg, Germany
Rothenburg on the Tauber
Eberbach, Germany
Clervaux. Luxemburg
Ghent, Belgium
Ypres again.
Home
That would be a great journal if you get round to it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back