Tour Guide Wanted Croatia and Slovenia trip, tips please (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
HI all,
We are off in a month aiming for Slovenia and Croatia. We will be travelling a route we know well through Belgium , Luxemburg and Germany down to probably Fussen on the Austrian Border. The plan then was to go through Austria, into Slovenia and then tour around Croatia. Way back possibly same way we came or perhaps through Northern Italy into Switzerland. Our motorhome is 4 tonne. We will have the dog with us also.
Questions we have are:
What is the easiest driving route through Austria.
We will need a GoBox, are they easy to buy at most garages,
What do we need for Slovenia, there is mention of a vignette.
Is anything we need for Italy or Switzerland
Recommendations for places to visit and stay in Slovenia and Croatia
Is Dubrovnik worth the drive all the way down

Thanks everyone

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
HI all,
We are off in a month aiming for Slovenia and Croatia. We will be travelling a route we know well through Belgium , Luxemburg and Germany down to probably Fussen on the Austrian Border. The plan then was to go through Austria, into Slovenia and then tour around Croatia. Way back possibly same way we came or perhaps through Northern Italy into Switzerland. Our motorhome is 4 tonne. We will have the dog with us also.
Questions we have are:
What is the easiest driving route through Austria.
We will need a GoBox, are they easy to buy at most garages,
What do we need for Slovenia, there is mention of a vignette.
Is anything we need for Italy or Switzerland
Recommendations for places to visit and stay in Slovenia and Croatia

Thanks everyone
I don't know now what it will be like in April but I don't think many facilities will be open; this includes some campsites.

I'd spend time travelling around Bosnia too ... a fascinating country. I'd avoid Switzerland and spend more time in the Balkans.

Dubrovnik is pretty but I would check that the weather is blue skies when heading there ... it is appealing due to the colours of the buildings etc. I guess it looks much less attractive with grey weather.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there. :)
If over 3500Kgs, I would avoid Austria, as you will need a Go Box to use their Motorways. If you choose not to use them, but get diverted onto one for any number of possible reasons, and you don't have a Go Box, you risk being heavily fined. :(
The swiss system for over 3500Kgs is a 10 x day pass for 32 x Swiss Francs. It is valid for up to 12 x months.
(If under 3500Kgs, it's a Vignette for both countries).

We took our V5 into the border offive at Basel, and had it all done painlessly. We entered Croatia via Italy and Slovenia in March/April time, and had a lovely stay with warm weather in the daytime, but cool to cold at night. Things have become so much more expensive over the past few years. :(

Good luck with the planning. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
April 2023 Balkans visit itinerary
19 Wednesday

Luxembourg

Bon Accueil
20 ThursdayStuttgartAire
21 FridayMunichCamping Platz Nord West
22 SaturdayMunich
23 SundayLjubljanaGostilna Pri Kovacu
24 MondayLjubljana
25 TuesdayZagrebVuglec plac
26 WednesdayZagrebSamabor
27 ThursdayZadarFalkensteiner
28 FridayZadar
29 SaturdaySibenikAmadria
30 Sunday

Split​

Camping Split
MayStobrec
1 MondaySplit
2 TuesdaySplit
3 WednesdayDubrovnikPod Maslinom
4 ThursdayDubrovnik
5 FridayDubrovnik
6 SaturdayMostarWimbledon
7 SundayMostar
8 MondaySarajevoCamping Sarajevo
9 TuesdaySarajevo
10 WednesdayGarcin CroatiaRanc Ranarin
11 ThursdayNovi Sad SerbiaCamping Kovilj
12 FridayBelgradeCamping Dona
13 SaturdayBelgrade
14 SundayMinisCamping route Roemenie
15 MondayCluj NapocaColina
16 TuesdaySighisoaraAquarius
17 WednesdaySibiuCamping Nomad
18 ThursdayDevaCamping Tranzit
19 FridayFuzesgyarnatThermal Kemping
20 SaturdayBudapestArena Camping
21SundayBudapest
22 MondayBudapest
23 TuesdayBudapest
24 WednesdayViennaWein West
25 ThursdayVienna
26 FridayVilshofenStelplatz Yachthafen
27 SaturdayVilshofen
28 SundayLuxembourgAire Parking Koerich
29 MondayLuxembourgBon Accueil
30 TuesdayLuxembourg

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
Sorry for the strange looking reply but I copied our itinerary from last year's tour of the Balkans. Sites can be found on Park4Nigt or Search for Sites. Good luck we had a fantastic time, don't miss Dubrovnik it is simply stunning almost as pretty as Leith!

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
April 2023 Balkans visit itinerary
19 Wednesday

Luxembourg

Bon Accueil
20 ThursdayStuttgartAire
21 FridayMunichCamping Platz Nord West
22 SaturdayMunich
23 SundayLjubljanaGostilna Pri Kovacu
24 MondayLjubljana
25 TuesdayZagrebVuglec plac
26 WednesdayZagrebSamabor
27 ThursdayZadarFalkensteiner
28 FridayZadar
29 SaturdaySibenikAmadria
30 Sunday

Split​

Camping Split
MayStobrec
1 MondaySplit
2 TuesdaySplit
3 WednesdayDubrovnikPod Maslinom
4 ThursdayDubrovnik
5 FridayDubrovnik
6 SaturdayMostarWimbledon
7 SundayMostar
8 MondaySarajevoCamping Sarajevo
9 TuesdaySarajevo
10 WednesdayGarcin CroatiaRanc Ranarin
11 ThursdayNovi Sad SerbiaCamping Kovilj
12 FridayBelgradeCamping Dona
13 SaturdayBelgrade
14 SundayMinisCamping route Roemenie
15 MondayCluj NapocaColina
16 TuesdaySighisoaraAquarius
17 WednesdaySibiuCamping Nomad
18 ThursdayDevaCamping Tranzit
19 FridayFuzesgyarnatThermal Kemping
20 SaturdayBudapestArena Camping
21SundayBudapest
22 MondayBudapest
23 TuesdayBudapest
24 WednesdayViennaWein West
25 ThursdayVienna
26 FridayVilshofenStelplatz Yachthafen
27 SaturdayVilshofen
28 SundayLuxembourgAire Parking Koerich
29 MondayLuxembourgBon Accueil
30 TuesdayLuxembourg
Thank you so much for all of this info. What route did you take from Munich to Ljubliana?

Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
Thank you so much for all of this info. What route did you take from Munich to Ljubliana?
We drove through Austria in our Elddis Autoquest 196 under 3500kg motorhome. A vignette and a few tolls as well. Motorway all the way. Te site in Ljubliana was free parking in a restaurant with great food and easy bus service. Check carefully about what vignettes you need for each country we almost got caught out in Romania realised after a few days we needed a vignette and bought one, no problem exiting te country, phew!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I traveled all the way to Dubrovnik with no tolls or box’s or stickers on the same route for 3 months, just put no tolls on the sat-nav.

Zadar was my favourite…😎
That's fine Garry, if you are not over 3500Kgs....................but it can be a financial nightmare if not, and you get nobbled. 😢

Cheers,

Jock. :(

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I know someone who is 7.5t and drove through Austria and back twice without any toll passes😳😳 he never got caught or had any fines come through, he also drove through guess it’s if your luck is in on the day (s)😁😁

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We did Croatia and back via Austria and Slovenia, back through Italy and Switzerland, all in the alps, 5ton no go or dars box, it’s easy if you plan it!
I know a few on here have been nobbled by Austria, but plan it well and you will see the stunning scenery it has to offer👍👍

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I know someone who is 7.5t and drove through Austria and back twice without any toll passes😳😳 he never got caught or had any fines come through, he also drove through guess it’s if your luck is in on the day (s)😁😁
Obviously, "your mate" ;) was a lucky sod, as had he been diverted up on to the Motorway in the event of a road closure, due to an RTC resulting a fatality, or a just a diversion due to essential road works on minor routes, he would have been in deep doo doo, by not having already registered for a Go Box.
I think that the general thinking from.the majority of law enforcers, is that "ignorance of the rules is not an excuse."
Fair dos if you ask me. ;)

Cheers,

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Obviously, "your mate" ;) was a lucky sod, as had he been diverted up on to the Motorway in the event of a road closure, due to an RTC resulting a fatality, or a just a diversion due to essential road works on minor routes, he would have been in deep doo doo, by not having already registered for a Go Box.
I think that the general thinking from.the majority of law enforcers, is that "ignorance of the rules is not an excuse."
Fair dos if you ask me. ;)

Cheers,

See the trick is Jock is plan your route that doesn’t run alongside the motorway, that said I buggered up and entered at Kufstein, a route I said I would never do but it was fine, I like to come in Bernau am Chiemsee through Kitzbühel, mittersill, Lienz and down to the Villach area👍👍
Then stupidly over the Wurzenpass and the Vrsic pass🤣🤣🤣🤣 into Slovenia 👍👍

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
as had he been diverted up on to the Motorway
The chap I know drove along the motorway to get through Austria a bit quick🤔🤔 this chap does live dangerously though😂😂
And he does have a stealth like van 😂😂

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That's fine Garry, if you are not over 3500Kgs....................but it can be a financial nightmare if not, and you get nobbled. 😢

Cheers,

Jock. :(

I was in the hymer Jock, 4250kgs… I’ve got not paying for roads down to a fine art.. but seriously I just put no tolls in the satnav and so far so good, I’ve got plenty of time and I think I see a lot of places that some don’t see…😊

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Sadly it seems to me if over 3500 then a lot of planning is needed if you think you may use the motorway network in east European countries.
Most countries now have some form of GPS box.
I have just registered ( as a belt and braces job) for over 3500 in Poland for an up and coming trip. I did think at one point is it worth the hassle.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just study and google the relevant countries requirements. They are very simply followed.

We are over 3.5t and regularly go to Austria. We have a go box we hold on to and top up without issue.
For chezk republic you can take ours back if you like, its not the purchase, its the getting your credit back on the way out.

In Croatia, you pay for your ride via the toll booth.

Slovenia, you buy in the garages,

Make sure you have v5 certificate of conformity with you as these are very important.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Slovenia, you buy in the garages,
Yes went to Bled non toll then thought I would go legal and pay the tolls to Croatia. Think it was about €75 as had to buy the little toll thing for the van.
20 minutes later after leaving the motorway garage all traffic diverted onto rural roads due to big smash and motorway shut😳😳 think I ended up about 30 mins in total on toll roads driving to Croatia 🤬🤬 some very narrow villages on the non toll and it takes you through large cities!!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
All these toll thingys must cost the locals a fortune, they can’t be too happy about it…🤔
Would say the get a residents discount?
Bit like French toll roads I was surprised at how many lorries use them🤔🤔 I worked out that my van was about 40p a mile on French tolls, first trip away last year I said class 2 and all good second trip class 2 and they were not having it and charged class 4 🤬🤬think that is double the class 2🤔🤔

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Vignette in Slovenia.

You can NOT buy them in the garages etc any more
As from 2023 they can ONLY be bought on line.
There is not 'ticket' or sticker, it's all done by ANPR

The Vignette can be bought here from the official site
(Be aware there are several other sites selling (genuine) vignettes but at a mark up

If you accidently stray into Slovenia without a Vignette then you can buy on line before 5pm same day.
From memory I think you can buy the Vignette up to 2 weeks in advance and it's valid for 1 week, 1 month or 1 year.
(Unfortunately the 1 hour or 1 day Vignettes needed for the road between Italy and Croatia do not exist!)

As far as the Slovenians are concerned, all motorhomes are under 3.5t.
They don't seem to have a category for the over 3.5t but under 5t sector of motorhomes.
So unless you are turning up in something that looks like a coach or a lorry a normal vignette is all you need (we are over 3.5t)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
In my opinion no it's not.

We stopped at Split (May 2023).
And then got a high speed catamaran (4hrs) down to Dubrovnik.
Spent two nights in a hotel
and then got the boat back

Campsite we used in Split was Stobrec
You will need to book ahead, as its the only one actually in Split
Its not cheap, Its on the beach and has a decent restaurant and bar.
There is a direct bus outside the gate to the centre of town which we used daily.

The hotel we used was Eddys Sea rooms
You will need to book ahead
Nice but basic, very close to the main town
Great host who speaks English

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Are these vignettes just for M-way toll roads or all roads?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Vignette in Slovenia.

You can NOT buy them in the garages etc any more
As from 2023 they can ONLY be bought on line.
There is not 'ticket' or sticker, it's all done by ANPR

The Vignette can be bought here from the official site
(Be aware there are several other sites selling (genuine) vignettes but at a mark up

If you accidently stray into Slovenia without a Vignette then you can buy on line before 5pm same day.
From memory I think you can buy the Vignette up to 2 weeks in advance and it's valid for 1 week, 1 month or 1 year.
(Unfortunately the 1 hour or 1 day Vignettes needed for the road between Italy and Croatia do not exist!)

As far as the Slovenians are concerned, all motorhomes are under 3.5t.
They don't seem to have a category for the over 3.5t but under 5t sector of motorhomes.
So unless you are turning up in something that looks like a coach or a lorry a normal vignette is all you need (we are over 3.5t)
When I got mine from the motorway services the lady asked me my route and then said the price! Just assumed you pay per mile rather than days like in Switzerland 🤔🤔

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Ljubljana is definitely worth a stay, camping by the ring road and easy bus in. The city is beautiful and has a vibrant university population too. English spoken everywhere

Another favourite in Croatia is Rovinj and we second Split as great too

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
When I got mine from the motorway services the lady asked me my route and then said the price! Just assumed you pay per mile rather than days like in Switzerland 🤔🤔
Think pre 2023 there were all sorts of ways of paying, much of which did not end up in the Government coffers.
Hence the move to on line only and ANPR about a year ago.
A FAQ section is here

Note:
You can buy the Vignette in certain locations such as some major fuel stations, but they have to log into the site, put in your number plate, address, email address, mobile phone number.
So you may as well do it properly yourself.

Also do put in the mobile number/email address as they will then confirm that the payment has gone through and also then send you reminders that you only have 1 day left etc.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Are these vignettes just for M-way toll roads or all roads?
Slovenia does not have tolls (Except one tunnel)

However all the main roads and motorways are covered by the Vignette
There is a map here

Could you cross the country without getting a vignette ?
Yes, probably, with a good navigator.
But would be an 'interesting' drive, as there are mountain passes north and south

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back