LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've got a Spanish one and a German one....I thought we were a community here in Eurozone...🇪🇺

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not correct, just your opinion.

Again not correct, in any department where the speed limits on either certain or all of its routes have been changed from the countrywide blanket ones the old signage (if there was any) will have been removed and replaced with the new and in force ones.
The major change was/ is from 90Kph to 80Kph, although many towns are enforcing 30Kph rather than a blanket 50Kph for some roads through the town, there will be a notice at the entrance to town limits stating 30Kph but with a proviso if the road surface has regularly placed 50Kph that speed overrides the 30.
You will also often find a 70Kph limit shortly before the 50Kph mandatory at the village limit, in an attempt to slow drivers into and through the village.
I've found similar though? Yes the 70 is signed I know it is 50 with the red rectangle for village & some are then 30 but when you exit it is just a libe through the 70 indicating it is back to whatever the limit is but I've no idea? I've gone for some hours looking for a sign but completely oblivious to what the speed limit is.🤷‍♂️
Revolut It’s simple and you don’t need to give out your main bank details.
They are my main bank:giggle:
Crit’air is not only just cities but in some departments large swathes of the adjoining countryside , for the cost of a few euros it’s worth having
amazing ! so we've unsigned speed limits & emissions zones wandering about out in the wilds?
I've got a Spanish one and a German one....I thought we were a community here in Eurozone...🇪🇺
I just applied for a french one as they have my details now from a speeding fine:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Hi all, got the crit'air sticker no problem, but just watched a motorhome matt video and he mentioned it to fitted on the rear of your motorhome, I would have stuck it in the windscreen.
Won't it be prone to come off on the rear, and where exactly??? Next to the number plate I would imagine, like the UK sticker is on the nearside . . .

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi all, got the crit'air sticker no problem, but just watched a motorhome matt video and he mentioned it to fitted on the rear of your motorhome, I would have stuck it in the windscreen.
Won't it be prone to come off on the rear, and where exactly??? Next to the number plate I would imagine, like the UK sticker is on the nearside . . .
no the instructions clearly say it has to be affixed on the right hand side of your windscreen inside
as low down as possible so as not to obstruct the drivers vision
IMG_0020.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class i think
Exp
since 2012
What is the point of crit’air? Is it just a sticker which once bought you can go anywhere in France with zones? What ever number is on the sticker?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Thanku Neil, Cert was all in French so no comprendo. Thought that's where I would have stuck it being on the right side of road. Not sure what motorhome Matt thinking then unless I misheard him right !

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I pass by Rouen on the main route on a regular basis without any problem. l did previously get a sticker but since it’s only paper and not chipped it cannot be checked without someone in authority is stood within two feet of it.
All it does is put you on their data base so they can apply any fines from cameras etc.
Since the French are up and down with the speed limits ie 90 is 70 some signs replaced some not then they change it back therefore the old signs are good again but the new ones are not,you don’t know where you are and can pick up a speeding fine without any knowledge of speeding.
l will now continue to take the risk of which there is none,in my opinion.
But surely if you are in another country, it is only but polite and proper to follow the rules of the country you are visiting, not to do is impolite and disrespectful and dare I say foolish if caught...When in Rome....

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi reading this it’s my understanding we are obliged to have this? (Crit Aire) We haven’t got one! We stupidly thought if we didn’t go into affected cities we didn’t need it. I have absolutely no doubt that we wouldn’t be allowed in any of the cities. RV 7.2l diesel and she’s 23 years old. I had a look at the site after following the link but couldn’t work it out 🤷🏼‍♀️ any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When I got my head round it it says our vehicle is not eligible for a certificate, so I guess we keep out of those zones or areas where they’ve decided pollution is an issue

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
But surely if you are in another country, it is only but polite and proper to follow the rules of the country you are visiting, not to do is impolite and disrespectful and dare I say foolish if caught...When in Rome....
Your opinion on my choice is unwelcome. In addition the Critair is issued to vehicles that are not Euro 6 compliant so what’s the use of that. I happen to be Euro6 compliant and am confident in my choice.

Upvote 0

Ianb

Free Member
Aug 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Globecar
Exp
2 Years
Is Crit Aire best for France, or is there a better one please. Thank you
Is Crit Aire best for France, or is there a better one please. Thank you
The Crit Aire is just a sticker that allows you to pollute the city air for a small fee. There is only one official source. I ordered mine weeks ago from the correct site. Received return email confirming purchase. Never did arrive by post and were now in the middle of France. I think it’s just another establishment con. I’ve not seen a single road sign mentioning the scheme.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
The Crit Aire is just a sticker that allows you to pollute the city air for a small fee. There is only one official source. I ordered mine weeks ago from the correct site. Received return email confirming purchase. Never did arrive by post and were now in the middle of France. I think it’s just another establishment con. I’ve not seen a single road sign mentioning the scheme.
1692539875417.png

RN28 has one!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
really , well plenty of warning signs as you approach Rouen
also Grenoble as well as other large cities and towns
maybe you've just not noticed them

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
The Crit Aire is just a sticker that allows you to pollute the city air for a small fee.
the cost is a just a few euro's and covers the administration , printing cost's and postage .
The scheme allows the French authorities to know at a glance if your vehicle is compliant and meets the current legislation set out for air quality in heavily populated areas where levels are monitored

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What is the point of crit’air? Is it just a sticker which once bought you can go anywhere in France with zones? What ever number is on the sticker?
no. it is also only when the air quality is bad the it applies & will state what value stikers aren't allowed in
I had a look at the site after following the link but couldn’t work it out
change it to english

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I pass by Rouen on the main route on a regular basis without any problem. l did previously get a sticker but since it’s only paper and not chipped it cannot be checked without someone in authority is stood within two feet of it.
All it does is put you on their data base so they can apply any fines from cameras etc.
Since the French are up and down with the speed limits ie 90 is 70 some signs replaced some not then they change it back therefore the old signs are good again but the new ones are not,you don’t know where you are and can pick up a speeding fine without any knowledge of speeding.
l will now continue to take the risk of which there is none,in my opinion.
Snce the emissions sticker belongs with the vehicle not you personally if you sell the vehicle on, which I have done four times with stickers fitted, I would suggest that they don't use the sticker purchasers data like that.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
The Crit'Air system is targeted at keeping likely polluting vehicles out of vulnerable towns when specific conditions apply (usually atmospheric ones), rather than trying to revenue raise from everyone like the UK based ones do, it is not a pay to pollute scheme. Se here
The intention of the sticker is to identify (educate) the vehicle owner as to when it is acceptable to enter a specific town when the conditions are not favourable to do so, it does however require the driver of the vehicle to be aware of the conditions.
The sticker enables the authorities to quickly and easily identify vehicles that should or shouldn't be using classified roads or areas and issue fines for non compliance, when the conditions apply.
Of course there are many contributors to the forum that believe being from the UK puts them above anything the nasty foreigners decree they should comply with when visiting their country (Angles mort stickers etc.)

Upvote 0

Ianb

Free Member
Aug 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Globecar
Exp
2 Years
Being from the UK, we choose to bus or cycle the cities. I’ve applied for the sticker just in case I need to rush one of us into the hospital or such emergency. The city really isn’t the place for big diesel engines whatever the sticker says.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
No it isn't. It tells the authorities what class of vehicle (relevant to the clean air regs) that you are driving. If you are CritAir 4 and are found driving in a max CritAir 3 zone, you commit an offence. If you are found driving without a CritAir sticker in any live CritAir zone, you commit an offence.
Got one for the car and the MoHo without any difficulty whatsoever.

They are either live or going live soon in these areas:

Crit-Air-stickers-the-complete-guide-to-clean-air-stickers-in-France.jpg

Upvote 0

Ianb

Free Member
Aug 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Globecar
Exp
2 Years
No it isn't. It tells the authorities what class of vehicle (relevant to the clean air regs) that you are driving. If you are CritAir 4 and are found driving in a max CritAir 3 zone, you commit an offence. If you are found driving without a CritAir sticker in any live CritAir zone, you commit an offence.
Got one for the car and the MoHo without any difficulty whatsoever.

They are either live or going live soon in these areas:

View attachment 797309
Without the sticker you are not allowed to pollute the area. You will get a big fine. With the sticker you are allowed to pollute the relevant area. In my mind that it is a sticker that allows you to pollute without being fined. Please correct me if I a wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
In your reply at 6.13pm to my previous post you appear to have put your reply as my post, but have either misunderstood my message or have chosen to ignore it.
Then your latest post above makes it quite clear you have not grasped the intention, how or why the system works.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I have had both the French and German stickers for over 10 years (cost is minimal) although i travel through both countries for at least 2 months every year i have never been in a zone. As for toll tag i as many on here took the Mango/Fulli toll tag last year as it was on offer (think it still is) . The tag worked great this year but the paying of the invoices is a nightmare . I used Caxton as the bank and Mango took a €1 and returned it last year but there is a problem with Caxton and Fulli taking the money directly. Nightmare to deal with even sending emails in French . I did get Caxton to send payments to Fulli (part of APRR ) as one off payments and have heard nothing so hopefully they have gone through. I have now opened a Revolut account and changed the mandate so hopefully be ok now.
Not seen a link to the German Umwelt so here it is

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Without the sticker you are not allowed to pollute the area. You will get a big fine. With the sticker you are allowed to pollute the relevant area. In my mind that it is a sticker that allows you to pollute without being fined. Please correct me if I a wrong.
I see your point. With the sticker you can pollute up to the currently acceptable level.

It is however misleading to infer that once you've got a sticker you can drive in CritAir zones unrestricted.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Your opinion on my choice is unwelcome. In addition the Critair is issued to vehicles that are not Euro 6 compliant so what’s the use of that. I happen to be Euro6 compliant and am confident in my choice.
So just to close on this matter, if your moral compass permits you to conduct illegal activity so be it, regardless of your vehicles classification you are in breach of the law not displaying the relevant sticker in a required area. Regardless of your opinion the law is the law.

They are less than 4 quid :rolleyes: why wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back