creaking noise from wind out awning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scammellmanswife, May 9, 2013.

1. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Read Only Funster

I have a fiamma wind out awning and i find it is quite noisy (creaking and squeaking) when erected. Not so noiceable in the day time but very annoying at night :Angry: Is this normal? I have small window on overcab and have observed the awning from there but cannot see any movement occuring. Anyone else have this problem. Also the legs do not seem to be staying at selected height even though screwed up really tight.:Sad:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Have a word with Darren or Matt on 01-580-883062, some noise is unavoidable when there is a wind on a fabric, legs not staying up might need some new bits

Peter

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

They are a pain in the bum at night. Naturally we hear every tiny noise and the awning connected direct to the body makes quite a few, especially flapping.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Mine sounds like a medieval torture device when I wind it in or out.

• Like Like x 4
  5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I never leave mine out at night. Experience has taught me that its not good to wake up at 2 am franitcally winding it in because the wind unexpectadly picked up. Ive seen too many go over the top in my experience.

However, I have fitted brackets to the side of my van and when the awning is attached now, it's much more stable and the dog doesn't trip it up.

Noise from winding out? mine always has on every van, im on my third so it must be normal.... But hey "whats Normal" :Cool:

Legs going down, had this problem also, will have a look for you when we meet up next? :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Mine is exactly the same, no matter how much silicone lubricant I use!

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

would agree with that Paul..

.. also seen plenty that had been left out 'over the top', and they can cause a lot of body damage .. take heed, never leave unattended. ..a fool and his awning are soon parted !

• Like Like x 2
  8. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I was advised to use silicone, and it didn't seem to make much difference at first, but thinking about it I used it last weekend and it was fine. I think mine tends to be worse in colder conditions.

Still creaks a bit when it's windy though.

9. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

I have a fiamma awning and was thinking about one of them tye down Straps that go over the top are they any good and would you leave it unattended with it on a bit worried about leaving my awning out :Eek!:

10. Merle

Merle Funster

From bitter experience don't get one to go over the top of the fabric....we had one when we had a caravan awning, middle of the night the wind started the strap vibrating against the awning material....not a nice job in your jock's shoving anything and everything in the way of sponges and rolled up towels to stop the drumming. Get the type that clip to the front rail, they do work, but as said before, any hint of a strong breeze upwards, I wind ours in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scammellmanswife

You will laugh at this. I used the tie down kit and during the night the legs gave way lowering the canopy and i couldnt open the b....dy door in the morning:Rofl1::Rofl1: i had to force the door past the roof struts to get out :Doh: So if you are going to use one make sure the legs are working properly. :Eek!: Depends where the door is situated of course.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Phill D

Phill D

i use a tie down as the slightest gust can lift them. i only leave out overnight if we have the wind blockers fitted and its as close as certain to a dead cert that its going to be flat calm all night. other than that its put away when unattended. its cheaper in the long run.

13. Phill D

Phill D

clothes pegs ( large ones ) work they dirupt the airflow that causes the frequency vibration.:Eeek: clip then on the strops

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

You should have seen us at Silverstone last year. Awning out, big strap over the arms - I don't put it over the cloth in case it rubs through it.

We heard the wind getting up, quite suddenly and by the time I said "I'm not happy about this" the van was shaking. We jumped out just as the fine mesh wind break collapsed, the top pole bent, we grabbed an arm each and hung on. Wind changed to wind and rain and there was nothing we could do be stop the awing flying away. Five minutes, feeling like five hours, it stopped. No damage was done other than the cheap aluminium pole. So we put it away. We were frozen and drenched.

So not matter what you do, it's one big sail and if the wind gets under it you are in deep poo. If we'd walked to the toilets about that time we would have had no awning and probably a damaged van.

One meet Geo had his RV awning out. Nice day. Awning built like a brick toilet. But a gust of wind caught it, ripped the stays off the side and threw the awning on the roof. Again, out of the blue.

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I lost my awning in a sudden gust, even with two tie downs. Always wind it in at night now and if it looks as though it might be windy. Replacement was £850 so don't want to do it too often.

16. hilldweller

???????? How many doors does your van have ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Phill D

Phill D

could ave got out of the cab door me thinks, but its easy with a degree in hind sight and time to think:thumb:

18. scammellmanswife

Other half was in rush to get out...........dog too :Wink: and i always chuck loads of stuff in the cab area overnight so no chance of quick exit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

before using an 'over the top' tiedown strap have a look at your awning legs.

at the top is a knuckle joint between the front rail and the leg.

if it plastic DONT use a strap....it will break the plastic knuckle joint.

if its aluminium then it may be ok.

I use the type which slide into the awning rail groove at each end so all the force is on the rail.

http://www.windblockers.net/products/tie-down-ratchet-kit

also, DONT throw a strap over the fabric...if the wind gets up the fabric will take all the force and will tear where it joins the front rail.

20. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

creaking noise from wind out awning

Hi, The noise is possibly that it is moving on the bolts that hold it on the body,take of the plastic covers inside and tou will find nuts and washers that hold it to the body,if you can fit a bigger washer it helps but it is normally loose nuts allowing the movement and cause a noise,and we keep our awning out and always have but we do use tie downs on each end but the main thing is the peg in the ground has to be a long metal peg,and banged in the ground,plastic pegs are no good as they are weak .regards H:Smile: