Couple of things in PC-Pro

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by olley, Nov 24, 2007.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi just bought the mag and looking through it some things cam to mind: somebody said "multimedia role in living rooms more and more, and PC tat in yucky or boring plastic just doesn't do it." just thought I would suggest you look at the Sony Vaio VGC-LT1S http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128831/sony-vaio-vgclt1s.html

The next thing is the ASUS Eee PC701 laptop £215, slow processor but apart from that all the usual stuff, runs Linux, just shows how much money that Mac and Windows make out of their systems if you can produce a laptop for this sort of money. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/133848/asus-eee-pc-701.html

And finally the BBC are only releasing a limited version of iPlayer for Mac's and Linux, instead of the full one that windows users get, have to say as a public funded body I don't agree with this. Now that surprised you didn't it.:BigGrin:

To tell the truth........................whats an iPlayer?:Blush:

Olley

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

BBC :

Well.. it's all to do with DRM aparantly ... :RollEyes::RollEyes:

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Ah the good old institution of the BBC.

Living in the Dark Ages.:Doh:
    Very surprised they've even heard of an Apple Mac.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

And if you want to watch with a Mac you have the choice 'Real Player' or 'Windoze Media player' .. One full of spyware the other a load of cack ... nuff said

Have they never heard of Quick Time .. ? :Doh:

5. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Dell have a special offer on at present for high spec PCs and well specced laptops at £249 exc VAT - as per a flyer sent to my company today. Obviously either there's a major new upgrade in hardware due soon, or the credit crunch means that too few PCs are being shifted at present....it may be a good time for PC buyers to renew old hardware.

For those who want to read a DECENT computer magazine, forget PC Pro and buy something decent like Macworld - the eye candy of Mac hardware makes Sony Vaios look like the computer equivalent of a Vauxhall Nova. :Rofl1:Each to his/her own - we're all entitled to our own opinions. Most PC tat (not all, note) looks tasteless or boring in my opinion and I certainly would not want it in my living room. :RollEyes:

By the way, for Linux afficionados or those who just want to experiment with some old hardware - theres a new version of Xubuntu out which runs even on ancient hardware and will make a useful printserver or firewall or just a way of whiling away dark winter evenings while learning new stuff using archaic stuff that would otherwise just add to landfill!!:thumb:

Laurie.

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi the really impressive thing I thought was the Asus, £215 sounds like a bargain for a portable, just the job for taking into macdonalds for the free wi-fi to surf the net. :BigGrin: seriously thinking of getting one.

Another thing item caught by attention, 500gig disc £65 notes :Eek!: thats half a terrabyte, I remember when a 10mb disc was £300

Olley