Couple in Motorhome missing in south of France (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Something no one seems to have thought of , I know it seems trivial but maybe these two have something wrong with them that needs daily attending to, forgetfulness to take medication or hundred and one things.
We don't go in for daily or even weekly communication but the phones either end are always turned on.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having access to, advice & help (if needed) from this forum & members regardless of where we are means that Funsters are never alone when we are on our travels (y) There is always someone who will be able to or want to help. Think that's the best thing about Fun which I haven't seen so much of on other forums or Facebook groups.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in the past, we used to help run THSs and rallies and Brenda's family owned a campsite. over the years we have had a few deaths on site and relatives trying to contact campers with news from home

The last few years we have had caring responsibilities with parents and have had to be contactable at all times. If we went off the radar for 24hours it would cause panic at home. We just dont know the reality of other people's lives

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't any of you long for the good old days when going on holiday meant being incommunicado?

That's why you'll all have a merciful respite from my ramblings when we're travelling in Europe later this year. I think the MHF community deserves as much of a break from me as I do from it, so look forward to it. I know I am. :)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I also think the internet/mobile network has changed things and younger people in particular are very used to frequent communication via social media or texting etc. It likely felt very unusual for the family to not hear from them hence the panic. I find it reassuring the police took it seriously and respected the families concerns.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well I went to Benidorm for 2 weeks...

I see no bugger on here missed ME. !!!!! :(:(:(:(

Anyway I dont care I had @Southampton and @ukbill as drinking buddies... (y) :cheers:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I find it reassuring the police took it seriously and respected the families concerns.

yes.. it is.. but how many police hours were wasted looking for them .. a total waste of manpower and money

have a phone.. good idea, and keep it switched on..

that's all you need to do.. tell family that you won't be calling and not to call you unless it is a dire emergency.. and if they call and you don't answer, tell them not to panic, you are enjoying a a holiday away from everything..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
EE are experiencing issues with their roaming agreements in France. I complained when we only had telephone connection for 2 days out of 14 recently and they apologised, suggesting that the problem was with the French companies as new agreements were being negotiated). If this couple use EE, they may not have known that they did not have a network connection until they tried to call out. They may have also struggled to have found an internet connection in rural France.

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
For all we know, the parents may have forgotten to make a scheduled call to their family or something, and didn't answer calls made to them, hence the panic reaction to ensure they were ok. Quite understandable if the situation was compounded by medical concerns, and the outcome was a lot better than it could have been.

I agree with many of the comments here, enjoying a holiday without the irritation of constant calls, texts, emails etc is something that we can no longer take for granted, and sadly missed.

I wonder if any motorhome owner has gassed himself to escape all the interruptions to his holiday :D

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I agree with many of the comments here, enjoying a holiday without the irritation of constant calls, texts, emails etc is something that we can no longer take for granted,

It's not difficult, use the off switch, let the battery go flat, don't take the device(s) with you etc

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
yes.. it is.. but how many police hours were wasted looking for them .. a total waste of manpower and money
Probably about 15 minutes - get the phone company to interrogate the masts, bit of trig & bobs your uncle (y). Probably pitched on an Aire or Municipal site.
Phones being "off" doesn't stop them telling where they are :cool:.
Need to remove the battery to be 'properly' off.
Hmmm - can't do that with an iPhone or Google Nexus phone :whistle:.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Where's the nearest socket .....?

Cable B.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-25_21-1-52.png
    upload_2016-8-25_21-1-52.png
    613.7 KB · Views: 29
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It's not difficult, use the off switch, let the battery go flat, don't take the device(s) with you etc
Perhaps that is exactly what the "missing couple" did? Then they got a visit from friendly Mr John Darme

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've been reported as missing a number of times. Those who reported me missing claimed to be concerned and caring - what they failed to accept was that I chose to be out of touch but I wasn't missing - I knew exactly where I was.
Sometimes such patronising attitudes really wind me up!

How about, when declining to use the self service check out at the supermarket, an "I'm here to help" operative told me, "It's very easy to use Sir". Meaning what? I'm to old to understand how to use new technology? Bloody cheek!!

Off topic, off topic, rant over (for now).

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just got home from 2 months away. Nobody cared :crying::crying:
No calls, no emails, no texts:crying:
Even @Dawn B and @Tootles couldn't be bothered to miss insulting me.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just got home from 2 months away. Nobody cared :crying::crying:
No calls, no emails, no texts:crying:
Even @Dawn B and @Tootles couldn't be bothered to miss insulting me.
They haven't been on a while either were they waiting for your return!!
Hope you had a great trip!

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Glad to here they are ok
But I see my two grown up sons every day of the week for weeks on end and they have it so cushy at home I can never see them leaving so any contact when away is to be avoided at all costs for peace and quite

Barcud

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Gwynedd
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
since 2014
Came to this post wondering how they knew they were missing. As someone else said 'no news is good news'
Wonder at what stage our progeny will start worrying about us? Probably when they arrive for Christmas ad find there is no turkey to cook!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back