Could have been a begging letter.....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chaumo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

So we took some Euros and a brand new shiny Revolut card loaded with Euros. Well at least a handful. As our ready cashed dwindled we took out the Revolut and you can guess what happened. Non, said the diesel seller. Non, said the super market cashier. Non, said the bank. Non said any campsites and so said anyone else who could possibly help. So an enforced stay at Millau at Camping Larribal was necessary whilst Revolut sent a new card. This being an emergency card it took 4 days to arrive. Customer service at weekends is via an app that "due to the large volume of calls..." they don't reply to. So it was a bit frugal for a few days and spouse refused my suggestion of how she could earn us a few bob. Just kept calling me Pimp whatever that means. Still with ACSI at 11 Euros a night. Separate gender good facilities, right on the river, 15 min walk from town and all the heat and sun you could ask for, it could have been worse. Had thought about sending an email... "Help. Stuck in France. Send money." Anyway, got down to the south and we can now say we paddled in the Med. Working our way back to Calais now.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 6
  2. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I have never used any prepay cards or travelers checks or similar as having cash in sterling or euros has worked all over the world at rates almost always better than pre buying.
    Yes the cash could be stolen but that also applies to cards, passport, van keys and anything else that the loss of would be a pain in the bum to put right.
    The point being that everywhere you go 'cash is king'.

• Like Like x 2
  3. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

"Working our way back to Calais now."????

Does that mean the wife's back at work, Pimp?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Err , they don't reply to it at ANY time of the day or night, any day of the week! Trust me I've tried.:mad:

5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I had a safe fitted under the fixed bed and kept €300 in it. Reckoned if my cards were lost/stolen whatever I could survive while I sorted it out.

( I had forgotten that I had hidden €150 in a kindle case and found it several months later. Was a nice surprise!)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phill D

Phill D

i just taken out a revolut card but still have my caxtob fx which i was going to ditch, maybe a change of plan is on the " cards "! :rolleyes:

7. Phill D

Phill D

Any way of checking if your card is "DUFF"! before you go??? as i see on Martins money pages a few people have had the same problem:(

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I usually test new cards by changing the pin number in an ATM in the UK.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My Revolut has worked every time and instantly pinged me the transaction details of every purchase this last two weeks.
    The only problem was at the Doctors in Holland it would not accept ANY card we had but I put it down to being bank holiday in UK? could be wrong but I know it wasn't limited to Revolut.
    I've also drawn 200 300 and 500 cash among about 20 payments
    image.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

They have for me twice and within 5 mins of opening chat in the app

11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Never had any problem with mine either and on the one occasion I had cause to use the support app they replied and dealt with my query quickly and efficiently.

It's well documented that pre paid cards don't work in certain situations - tolls, fuels pumps etc. I just use mine for ATM withdrawals and carry proper a credit card for purchases.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Techno

I've bought fuel three times Nick but not at automated pumps! check out teller is fine

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Tweedie

Tweedie Funster

We have used ours for 7 weeks so far in France and Spain only 2 times was in not accepted once at an automated fuel station and once at a carrefour (OK at other Carrefour's). Have used it for attended fuel stations OK and has so far worked at all tolls. Very pleased with it and how quickly it informs you of a transaction. We did try ours at home before we left loaded a small amount on it then used an ATM for balance enquiry and cash withdrawal also used it in a shop. I seem to remember they said on the revolution site somewhere to test it out before you go abroad. We would recommend it anyway.

14. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I thought it was well established that prepaid cards don't work at automated fuel pumps or at many supermarkets.
    Prepaid (Caxton) for my ATM cash and Halifax cc for purchases - can't go wrong.
    If anyone ever doubts the value and convenience of prepaid, I'm drawing Euros now at €1.41, buy them when they're up, not when you need them.
    So, diesel at €1.12 @€1.41 = £0.794
    Does wonders for your MP£

• Like Like x 1
  15. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Whenever I go abroad I always marvel at how everyone speaks the international language of Hardcash. I keep mine in a safe in a fully alarmed and security locked motorhome and have no worries about losing it or finding it doesn't work.