Corsica anyone. Gas Bottles banned on the Ferries (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,
It doesn't affect me but, whilst looking for something else I came across the following article in Le Monde du Camping Car (an MMM type publication in France.)

The article is self explanatory but I wouldn't want any Funsters turning up at the port and having to abandon their very expensive (but necessary) Refillable Gas bottles.

"Camper riders told the Camper-Camping World that they had to abandon their gas cylinders when they boarded Corsica. This ban on gas cylinders on ferries was introduced in July 2016 as part of the Vigipirate plan, not just in Corsica.
Extended measurement for the 2017 season
The ban gas cylinders on board the ferry for Corsica was renewed for 2017. A reader (thank you to him) sent us the email he received from Corsica Ferries, in 12 January 2017: " the security level has been raised since the recent events, increased vigilance was set up. The safety of the port has thus conformed to the Governmental directives and confiscates any empty or full bottle. "The request of this reader concerned his trip to Corsica scheduled for June 2017. It can therefore be expected that the ban will still apply at least throughout the coming season.

The ban had intervened as early as summer 2016
Initially, the information was communicated to us by motorhome , which embarked from Corsica during the summer of 2016. The first Christian H. we sent this message: " in the port of Ajaccio before taking the ferry 's port agents withdraw all gas cylinders vehicles. The prefect took the order did not have to make camping in his life! "He added:" What does a motorhome without gas bottle? We were forced to buy a new bottle on the continent. "However, it concludes with a personal observation:" A boarding, not too much zeal to enforce the decree ... "

Rant from a reader
A similar message was deposited on the facebook page of the World Camper by another user, Christopher A. His text is titled " Big rant ! "And indeed, it seems RVer be raised enough:" Warning. Every motorhome from Corsica, let up on your gas bottles since arrived at the boarding , you are asked to leave them behind, supposedly because of Vigipirate. "Christopher laments practical consequences:" With crossing of 12, great fridge at 23 degrees! Not to mention gas bottles and lost orders. "

Security after the attacks
to know whence this ban, the World Camper contacted Corsica Ferries . The company sent us the following explanation: " The removal of gas cylinders carried by motorhome on board Ferries is a consequence of the strengthening of measures security . This measure is the result of the policy of ports that act under the authority of the prefects, in reaction to recent attacks. It is valid from the continent as from Corsica and concerns all operators. "The ban has therefore been incorporated into the general conditions of sale of Corsica Ferries.

Confirmation by Corsica Prefecture
The Prefecture of Corse confirmed the information. " These measures were adopted in early summer, as part of prevention against the risk of attack. "Another point made by the Prefecture: this new regulation will be extended after the summer season:" There will be exchanges in September with the port managers and the companies providing the services to Corsica, to refine the setting confitions Implementation of these standards. "

Not only in Corsica
is known that campers are not always welcome on the Island of Beauty (see our articles below) ... Let us all rush to judgment: the Corsican ports are not the only ones to apply this prohibition. In an article in the Telegram, published on the website of the daily Breton , we learned that the crossings to the islands of Morbihan are subject to the same regime: " The company [Oceane] recalls that" hazardous products such as cans petrol or gas bottles are not allowed on ships' . "

Is the ban really enforced?
Since publication of this article on our facebook page , we received the testimony of Roger, who knows the issue well: " I am a resident Corsica and I made numerous crossings on Corsica Ferries. Of the three round trips I made in 2016, I was of course checked. The only thing I was asked was if my bottles were closed. I would be curious to know the number of motor homes that were forced to leave their bottles on the dock. "So, is the ban rigorously enforced? We will need more testimonials to be clear.

Read our articles on Corsica An independence movement hostile to campers "Orcada Travel: Corsica, you have to go off-season camping and sleeping in" A special eco-fee for campers, soon to Corsica?

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/a...es-sur-les-ferries-pour-les-camping-cars.html

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Wow, that's interesting and somewhat concerning.

Wonder if the English Channel will be next on their radar, or is it a little local spat because the Corsican authorities are not fond of motorhomes and they've discovered a handy rouse to discourage them? Or is that just being cynical...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Saw a video somewhere of an all electric motorhome. It had 10 solar panels totalling 1kW , some huge batteries and an induction hob. Custom made for visiting Corsica though it was actually touring U.S.A.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Update from current General Terms & Conditions

22) Vehicles with liquid gas. On reservation or purchase of the ticket the passenger must notify the carrier of the likelihood of the vehicle carrying liquid gas. If the carrier is not notified in advance the passenger will not be allowed to embark the vehicle and must pay a cancellation fee for the vehicle.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
The article from Le Monde Du Camping Car reads that this "ban" which has been mentioned was lifted for spring last year. Gas bottles for camping cars from now on will be tolerated by the port authorities. This information has been confirmed to le Monde du Camping Car by the maritime company.

If anyone wants a translation of the final paragraph I will do one.

J

Des camping-caristes ont raconté au Monde du Camping-Car avoir dû abandonner leurs bouteilles de gaz en embarquant au départ de la Corse. Cette interdiction des bouteilles de gaz à bord des ferries a été appliquée (avec plus ou moins de rigueur) au cours de l'été 2016, avant d'être abandonnée avant le printemps 2017.
[Mise à jour Mars 2017] L'interdiction est abandonnée
Une fois de plus, ce sont nos lecteurs qui nous ont informés. Un camping-cariste, M. Pere, nous a fait suivre la réponse qu'il a reçue des services commerciaux de Corsica Ferries au sujet de l'interdiction des bouteilles de gaz: “Les bouteilles de gaz pour camping cars sont désormais tolérées par la sécurité du port, soyez rassuré.” L'information a été confirmée par la compagnie maritime au Monde du Camping-Car.

En réalité, les véhicules de loisirs bénéficient d'un régime de faveur sur cette question. C'est ce que l'on découvre en lisant l'arrêté du 23 novembre 1987 (modifié le 20 décembre 2016: “Seuls les véhicules de type caravane, mobile home ou camping-car sont autorisés à transporter au plus 3 bouteilles de gaz de type butane/propane. Le poids total de ces bouteilles n’excède pas 47 kg. Ces bouteilles sont destinées uniquement à l’usage de l’éclairage, du chauffage et des équipements du coin cuisine du véhicule.”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back