Continental Radio

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by roger buckley, Aug 25, 2011.

1. roger buckley

roger buckley Read Only Funster

Hi
    Just returned from 3 weeks pleasantly touring around Europe,and have to admit to not understanding why I could not find any English speaking radio out there. I have no problem in finding French and Dutch speakering programmes on my car radio when in the U K ,when I am trying to tune in to talksport.Is it the Beeb's cutbacks ,or my M H Sony radio not being up to it?:Smile:

2. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

I have received BBC R4 long wave as far down as Switzerland , and around the Frankfurt area
    there are the American forces networks

Note from the Beeb You can listen to Radio 4 online anywhere in the world, but you will not be able to pick up BBC stations broadcasting on FM, MW and DAB very far from UK shores. They are funded by the UK licence fee and the BBC is not permitted to re-broadcast them from other countries.
    However, in some areas close to the UK (such as Ireland, France, Denmark, Belgium and Holland) it is possible to receive Radio 4 on 198 kHz long wave.
    BBC Reception website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/ :thumb:

3. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

Only English stations I managed to pick up were Absolute Radio (France & a bit of Belgium) and the World Service. In the end I gave up and listened to whatever I could find as they all seemed to play the same 20 or so 80's songs over and over again :Rofl1:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Granted, not much use when driving, ( unless you can afford a Camos In-Motion sat dish) but there are plenty of UK radio stations transmitted by satellite..

5. N&K

N&K

When we have a Euro trip coming up (lots of driving) I use this package on the computer before leaving:

http://audials.com/en/one/index.html

And record hours and hours and hours of UK radio, BBC, Virgin etc. The package saves it in any format you want. Then in Europe I play it all back in the motorhome and pretend its live :)

saves listening to time warp 80's german radio (mentioned above) :) those only so much a sane man can take of that :Rofl1:

:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

It doesn't appear to make the tea though............................:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  7. N&K

N&K

wivvy's dad, I was just laughing at your location, here is another interesting location:

:Eek!::RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2