Connecting batteries from Panel (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I bought portable 14 watt solar panel from Maplin which I left propped up on dashboard and connected to engine battery. The batteries were both at 12.2 volt.

I popped back yesterday to check the batteries and was pleased to find engine battery was actually 12.3 volt, okay nothing exciting but at least had been maintained and most days have been overcast and grey. However the leisure battery had dropped to 11.9 volt not so good and proves solar panel has done something.

I intend to get solar panels fitted to the roof very soon so do not want to buy another portable one so as a quick fix, I left the control panel turned on and pressed the button that connect the two batteries together at which point leisure went up to 12 volt and engine went down to 12.2 volt and hopefully leisure batt will benefit from solar panel as well.

Apart from leaving panel turned on which I would not normlly do (although everything else turned off in moho,) are there likely to be any ill affects from leaving them connected.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think on the vehicle battery you may have just about broken even
now you have added extra batteries into the scenario along with a live control board you will almost certainly be in negative equity
I suggest to do what you want doing you need 100 Watts + to your leisure power bank and a battery master types solution for the engine battery
or twin outlets from soler controler
G

OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Good point, thank you. Hadn't thought about current draw from panel and although minimal ir will be 24 hours opposed to solar only during daylight.

Will go and remove leisure batt for a charge at home to keep it happy.

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back