Confused by “progress” (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
I have the Caro satellite system which was on the 2009 van when I purchased it. It was very efficient though we didn’t use it a great deal, non the less a useful item to have. It seems a lot of channels on Astra 2 have now retuned with many going to HD only which my receiver does not recognise, (it is the old silver one with SCART output to TV). Also annoyingly I can no longer get BBC radio 4 on it.
Now what to do?
Upgrade the box to the Command Unit at what cost and how future proof is it?
Ditch the lot and go for a 4/5g aerial and modem thingy?
Just read a book.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If you remove it you save payload and wind resistance but do become reliant on a good mobile phone signal. Cannot find the emoji for 'swings and roundabouts'.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
I have the Caro satellite system which was on the 2009 van when I purchased it. It was very efficient though we didn’t use it a great deal, non the less a useful item to have. It seems a lot of channels on Astra 2 have now retuned with many going to HD only which my receiver does not recognise, (it is the old silver one with SCART output to TV). Also annoyingly I can no longer get BBC radio 4 on it.
Now what to do?
Upgrade the box to the Command Unit at what cost and how future proof is it?
Ditch the lot and go for a 4/5g aerial and modem thingy?
Just read a book.
Good afternoon tidewatcher

The Caro Digital system is still currently able to provide all standard definition channels although it may need a channel list update. This is detailed in the instruction manual that you should already have but if you do not then a PDF copy is available here: https://download.ten-haaft.com/BA_Anleitung/BA_english/en_digital-all.pdf
Alternatively we are happy to talk you through starting the process until you are happy to proceed alone. Just give us a call on 01858575928.
As Satandpcguy already mentioned the BBC standard definition services will be discontinued on the 31st of March next year however at that point there are a couple of options.

1, You can upgrade to the Vision Control centre which would cost £460 inc VAT (not including carriage or fitting costs if required) however the new electronics are receiver independent so you would need a receiver in order to view the channels. We regards to how future proof it is, currently there is nothing that would stop the new electronics locking on and giving a signal so as long as the signals are broadcasting it will work.
More information on the upgrade is available here: https://download.ten-haaft.com/Flyer/EN_Umrüstung_Broschüre.pdf

2, The current receiver you have has a signal output loop built into it for use with a secondary receiver. You can use this loop output to wire to a HD receiver of your choice and the HD channels will then be achievable without replacing the Caro electronics. This method would work as long as at least a few standard definition frequencies remain active however it is possible that if frequencies are altered there may be the need for a software update occasionally.

If you would like further information on anything I've mentioned above then please feel free to give me a call and we can discuss further.

OP
OP
tidewatcher
May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny

The Caro Digital system is still currently able to provide all standard definition channels although it may need a channel list update. This is detailed in the instruction manual that you should already have but if you do not then a PDF copy is available here: https://download.ten-haaft.com/BA_Anleitung/BA_english/en_digital-all.pdf
Alternatively we are happy to talk you through starting the process until you are happy to proceed alone. Just give us a call on 01858575928.
As Satandpcguy already mentioned the BBC standard definition services will be discontinued on the 31st of March next year however at that point there are a couple of options.

1, You can upgrade to the Vision Control centre which would cost £460 inc VAT (not including carriage or fitting costs if required) however the new electronics are receiver independent so you would need a receiver in order to view the channels. We regards to how future proof it is, currently there is nothing that would stop the new electronics locking on and giving a signal so as long as the signals are broadcasting it will work.
More information on the upgrade is available here: https://download.ten-haaft.com/Flyer/EN_Umrüstung_Broschüre.pdf

2, The current receiver you have has a signal output loop built into it for use with a secondary receiver. You can use this loop output to wire to a HD receiver of your choice and the HD channels will then be achievable without replacing the Caro electronics. This method would work as long as at least a few standard definition frequencies remain active however it is possible that if frequencies are altered there may be the need for a software update occasionally.

If you would like further information on anything I've mentioned above then please feel free to give me a call and we can discuss further.
Many thanks for the information, I will have a look at my options now I have some clarification. In honesty the existing hardware is still operating perfectly which is an endorsement of the original build quality. Thanks again.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

As ever buddy, you are a blooming star 🌟, well done 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back