Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Im considering buying one of these as I've found one on Amazon 100ft. For 12.95 ,I know it's not food grade but I'm not bothered as I've havnt used food grade for years . Does anyone know how successful this type of hose is or do they puncture very quickly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought one on Fleetwood market in July 2013 (X hose clone, not the real thing) on the grounds it would take up less space and be easier to roll away than the cassette hose we had. It was OK for a couple of years but got progressively worse with kinking (which they are not supposed to do) in the last half of last year. I finally binned it a few weeks ago and have gone back to the cassette hose it replaced. It didn't leak though :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have used one for couple of years no problems

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Likewise we have used one that expands to 100 ft for a couple of years. No problem but I do ensure I flush it well before putting water in the tank as we do drink the water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Likewise we have used one that expands to 100 ft for a couple of years. No problem but I do ensure I flush it well before putting water in the tank as we do drink the water.

good idea.. that would be my advice..

If used for drinking it needs a really good flush .. a smooth bore hose drains as you coil it up.. this one won't.. so that leaves water trapped that could harbour bacteria.. Flushing also gets rid of any leached chemicals from the plastic.. which is the main reason I wouldn't use..

I use Clear PVC Braided Hose - Food Grade, as used in the food industry, it is quite bulky .. but I have plenty of space to store..

I can see the advantage of a concertina hose if space is at a premium..

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
This one is only £9 incl p&p on Amazon:

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
I have had a couple of these expandable hoses previously including from Amazon, I would just be careful as on two occasions the hoses have split (once leaving me completely soaked). I finally paid the extra for an X-Hose (you can tell the difference in quality) and have had it for 2 years now and it is still going stong. I always flush it through before filling the FW tank and only use it for this purpose and always hang it to dry once finished, never had a problem not having a food quality hose and we also drink the water.

Mike Home

Free Member
Jan 27, 2018
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, I got one of those concertina hoses and so far so good. I do flush it well and leave it to dry before packing in a tuppaware type box. Had one of the flat hoses before. Good for saving space but a pain to unreel and reel up (worse than a long mains cable) and easy to use when you are close to the tap (like on arrival). We dont drink tank water but use a big water bottle for drinks. We also have a watering can for top-uos when on a site for a few days and not close to a tap. Hose, watering can and van water tank get a dose of Milton once in a while if the van is left un-used. Also got a box of all sorts of tap adaptors/hoze lock type fittings. Not got stuck with filling up problem yet. Sites everywhere seem to be standardising on connectors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back