Computers drive you nuts

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wildman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

why oh why, when I have loaded a page that takes a while does it appear on the screen only to have a box appear over the top saying it cannot load this page. I find it happening more and more on fun. It is so annoying that the info I want is there hidden behind that damn box. when I delete the box the loaded page goes as well leaving a white screen

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I am on a very slow connection Roger and never seen that box you describe. I'll fire up a windows machine and take a look. what browser are you using?

3. Wildman

I.E 7 on this old XP machine but it happens on the windows 7 netbook as well. I'll try a screen grab next time I get it.

4. Wildman

didn't have to wait long for that

[​IMG]

5. ukbill

ukbill Funster

possible settings in ie are wrong and need tweaking try to use chrome i never have a problem with that i never use ie any more dam load of crap

6. bungy

bungy Funster

quite possibly because its IE7 and it cant cope with some elements on a web page - either try another browser or upgarde to IE8

MS support page

OR it might be that you have two tabs for 'other' motorhome forums open....:Rofl1:

7. Wildman

I have used 7 without a problem since 2003. I use tabs a lot and have over 1000 favourites stored. I am too old and brainless to sort out a new browser though I have several others installed I just don't get on with them. but thanks for the suggestion

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some sites charge more if you use their sites with IE7 :BigGrin: No one should be using it. IE7 has so many exploits, it's positively dangerous to use and this is maybe why you are suffering so. I don't think its been updated since 2007:Eeek:

Upgrade your browser, it takes a few minutes and will probably take less resources than you are using now, you shouldn't lose your bookmarks:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

You need to move on Roger, Explorer 9 is out now and it works ok for me, as JIm says Explorer 7 ain't safe.

10. Wildman

as I said in the other thread Dane I have the same problem on my windows 7 netbook running ie9.

11. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wildman

like a fool I took all of the advice, and turned on updates, updated the browser downloaded all of the security patches etc. Then spent several hours getting my sound to function again.
    Still runing XP and IE8 is the latest browser and just as bugged as when it first came out some portions of my header are blacked out so I cannot read the options. at least now when a program is not responding only that tab closes or refreshes instead of the entire browser closing. I am getting too old for this computer lark, with so many other issues to worry about I don't need my lifeline pulled from under me. I tried to restore to the previous settings but no go, it would not allow me you go back to an earlier version of windows. So I'm stuck with only half a brain and no patience to sort this one out. If/when I ever disappear you will understand tis the damn computer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You have all my sympathy Roger .. after I messed it up I spent the best part of two days reformatting, re installing Windows7 and the drivers, downloading updates etc .. .. :Sad: but I did learn a lot.. ie don't mess with it ... :Laughing:

All I would suggest is giving Chrome or Firefox a go.. never used or liked IE in any flavour..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012