Computer virus.....help please

Discussion in 'Computers' started by nomadic, Aug 14, 2014.

1. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Recently a member of our family contacted me to let me know he had received a multi address e-mail with a link, and suggested I had a virus in the laptop.

I ran Malwarebytes as I do weekly, and security essentials daily, both were run twice and reported no risks etc.

Two minutes ago, my daughter e-mailed me to say she had received the same multi addressed e-mail with the link. I tried to type the link in be it registers in blue, so I've deleted it out.

This latest e-mail was despatched at 02.17 am 14/08/2014 when I was tucked up in bed and the laptop was switched of.

Any advice would be most welcome, it would appear someone has control of this laptop.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

2. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Not an expert on this by any means but I would suggest that someone has hacked your email account, a change of password may solve the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Thanks Matamoros, I will try that.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I agree with the above.

Mine was compromised and a simple password change sorted the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Thanks for the advice Matamoros and Papajohn.
    Last night I checked the settings and found the windows firewall was switched of...................tried to reset set it and it produced error code Ox6D9, and after trying another approach it produced error code Ox80070422.

No matter which way I approach this, system restore, reboot nothing is allowing the firewall to be turned on.

Security Essentials is working normally as is Malware bytes.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

6. buttons

buttons Funster

I have come across similar problems on a friends laptop, not being able to clear using malware bytes type software. I downloaded a boot disc on my laptop then booted his laptop with the disc which allowed me to clear his unit of this scare ware type of problem. Dont have all the details with me but I'm sure others will know if yours is a similar problem.

7. DJA

DJA Funster

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you are still able to receive e-mails then it sounds a bit different to what I experience when someone hijacked my account. They set up a redirect so anyone sending an email to me or replying to the email they sent out (saying I was stuck in Malaysia without any money ;)) would have there e-mail sent to the spammers, who would then no doubt try and trick someone into wiring me (them) some money.

No help to the OP of course to whom I can only suggest trying a safe boot (press F8 during start up) and running things again. Also in Microsoft Essentials run a full scan. The little critter they put on my machine was not picked up by the quick scan. It will take at least a couple of hours to run but well worth it.

9. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Thanks Buttons,

I will have a look online for boot disc's.

thanks also to DJA, that link is interesting, in fact it has started the firewall in as its listed in the start menu, so that's ok, I thought, but when I checked in the security centre, it asked to be turned on. When I did so, the popup said "windows could not start the firewall" so I'm not out of the woods yet.

DevonBeeKeeper, I am still receiving emails so I'm not suffering your plight, and yes I have run a full scan on Essentials, nothing found, will do as you suggest (F8) and another full scan.

Thanks all for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

I have the same problem had it over 6 months cant get rid of it, eventually changed email address and all passwords.
    Its still happening but from my old email address I only know when someone contacts me to say its still going on.
    Tried Malwarebytes and several others but nothing touched it.

11. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Have you tried the Symantec online virus scanner.

Just a thought.

12. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Yes changing my account was one thought I had, will wait and see if todays changes help.

Hymie, I've not heard of that one, will have a look, thanks.