Collecting First MH next weekend ( in France) -- Advice please... (1 Viewer)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Plan is to travel to the dealer in Villeneuve sur Lot on Friday for collection/handover Saturday morning. Then do have a 'shakedown' cruise around the 'bastide' towns of the area over the weekend, returning to the dealer with any issues on the following Tuesday or hopefully if everything is OK returning home to the Haute Vienne.

Questions:

What are the essentials we should take to be able to test everything sensibly on the shakedown cruise?, taking account we will be going down in the car with the dog!!

What are the key areas do I need to get clearly sorted in the induction?

Many thanks in advance

ps We have decided to test it for leaks by taking it to the UK during the rainy season towards the middle of July..;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some way of securing the dog while travelling is essential I think though I know some folk don't. We use a collapsible cage but I'm planning to get a harness which clips to an eye bolt for the next trip.

For the handover just try to understand what all the switches do, how to operate the heating, emptying the loo, filling with water, emptying waste water, etc etc after that, how the bed works if it folds or whatever.

But I doubt you will understand everything the first time so the only essential I suggest you take is a note pad to list all the things you forgot to bring and all the things you forgot to ask the dealer. :)

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
But I doubt you will understand everything the first time so the only essential I suggest you take is a note pad to list all the things you forgot to bring and all the things you forgot to ask the dealer. :)

That is the most sensible thing I've read in a long time!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
One important thing I have discovered about the 12v plugs in the habitation. Apparently it's only in French ones (not sure though , I didn't go testing them all LOL!) there is a way to plug in. If you put it the wrong way .... PAN ! It blows up the whole 12V system!
Never had that problem in a car or even in Max when I plug in the engine lighter. Whatever the way I plug it in, it works and I can charge my phone whilst driving. But it turns to be really different in the habitation.
Now I travel with a few new fuses dealer gave me, in case I forget the way to plug it in the right way.
Of course do ask where to change it if it happens ! Mine is under the passenger seat.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I would love to know more about your experience of buying in France. It is a possibility we are considering once we have settled into retirement over there.
Are you buying new or used and what make/model. How good was the dealer. All the usual.
Wish you well with your handover.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Is it being handed over with a gpl supply, and will you require any adapters.......good luck and I hope all goes well.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ps We have decided to test it for leaks by taking it to the UK during the rainy season towards the middle of July..;)

Deffo true , guaranteed to test it 100% :)

Enjoy and hope everything goes smooth :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One important thing I have discovered about the 12v plugs in the habitation. Apparently it's only in French ones (not sure though , I didn't go testing them all LOL!) there is a way to plug in. If you put it the wrong way .... PAN ! It blows up the whole 12V system!

That is crazy and very wrong. Surely someone has fitted the wrong sockets. It sounds like they have fitted AC style sockets.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What are the essentials we should take to be able to test everything sensibly on the shakedown cruise?

Bottle opener. Toilet rolls. Washing up liquid. Washing up things. Towels. Bedding. Kettle - gas type. Crockery, glasses. Food. Torch. Hook up cable. Clothing. Hair dryer.

Maybe record the handover on your mobile.

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I would love to know more about your experience of buying in France. It is a possibility we are considering once we have settled into retirement over there.
Are you buying new or used and what make/model. How good was the dealer. All the usual.
Wish you well with your handover.

If you've had a house over here for awhile you'll know that to go looking for things like Camping Cars you'll have to cover many kms going from dealer to dealer.. For us we spent last September travelling about doing just that and visiting the exhibitions specifically at Bordeaux, but before the big Le Bourget exhibition in late September everybody is just selling s/h or 'old' stock. To see the latest designs all in the same place, it is easier just to go to Le Bourget in Paris, parking is free and dealers will give you free tickets...

Our French is OK, (just), but many of the dealers, certainly at Bordeaux and Paris had somebody who could speak English...

In the end we chose to use YPOCamp in Villeneuve sur Lot, only because after we spent a couple of days at Paris we were undecided over two choices, they were the only dealer who had them on view side by side and were offering the same deals as that were on offer at Paris..Equipment packages, subsidised finance packages which increase warranties on Habitation items, Chassis, Engine, Water Ingress etc. up to 12 years.....

The dealer has been OK, not great on keeping us informed on delivery which is 6 to 8 weeks later than originally intimated, but he has been in touch often in recent days now that delivery is imminent and on the issue of receiving UK TV he has chased around making sure the equipment provided will be suitable.

In the end we chose a new Dethleffs Esprit T7150...

Any other questions please send me a pm...

Enjoy your time when you arrive full time, we've been here since 2004...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Bottle opener. Toilet rolls. Washing up liquid. Washing up things. Towels. Bedding. Kettle - gas type. Crockery, glasses. Food. Torch. Hook up cable. Clothing. Hair dryer.

Maybe record the handover on your mobile.
I would suggest you need a screwdriver of each type and an adjustable spanner or better. Just in case anything works loose and it is an easy fix whilst you are driving back.

Also check when the cab was manufactured, mine was over a year old when 'new'. I got my engine oil changed early working on the date of the cab manufacture & first use (by the MH builders)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Hose pipe and assorted tap fittings or watering can to fill up your water tanks plus biological clothes wash for your toilet, BBQ, gas cylinders or get from dealer.

One of the most important things is how the charging system works and does it do both cab and hab batteries together or separately with you having to operate a switch. You don't want to kill a battery first time out.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I recently took delivery of our Camper from Notin, a dealer here in France. They spent about an hour and a half going through all the switches, lights, cooker, gas, water, toilet, heater etc. I have had only one issue with it. When the temperature drops to below 5 Degrees C it dumps all the water in the system. There is a reset switch on the boiler system that has to be reset before the boiler will work. Its a security measure to stop ice forming in the pipes. Most of the things are common scene, but that one caught me out.
I think you will also find the gas bottle connection here in France is different to the UK so you will need some sort of adapter. Hopefully someone on here will jump in.

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Hose pipe and assorted tap fittings or watering can to fill up your water tanks plus biological clothes wash for your toilet, BBQ, gas cylinders or get from dealer.

One of the most important things is how the charging system works and does it do both cab and hab batteries together or separately with you having to operate a switch. You don't want to kill a battery first time out.

Please explain 'biological clothes wash for your toilet' thanks...Not read that before...Thanks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Elsan Blue or similar is a chemical and kills the good bacteria in a septic tank system which relies on good bacteria to break down the solids. Many campsites, aires etc, especially abroad use septic tanks and thus don't want you using Elsan Blue etc.

A very good and cheaper alternative is a biological clothes washing liquid and the bio bit breaks down the solids and the smells are kept under control. If you notice a smell you are probably not using quite enough bio liquid!

Give it try - you will find that lots of people use it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Some way of securing the dog while travelling is essential I think though I know some folk don't. We use a collapsible cage but I'm planning to get a harness which clips to an eye bolt for the next trip.

For the handover just try to understand what all the switches do, how to operate the heating, emptying the loo, filling with water, emptying waste water, etc etc after that, how the bed works if it folds or whatever.

best tip isaw was to video the hand over with your phone that way you can go back to it

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
As a few have mentioned, record it, if you are not familiar with the brand it's very difficult to take everything in over such a short period.

I would recommend you "Look and Listen" at the handover and perhaps have your other half just concentrate on video it on a tablet,I have done thus and it was invaluable.

Do enjoy your new toy.

OP
OP
moulin 87

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Elsan Blue or similar is a chemical and kills the good bacteria in a septic tank system which relies on good bacteria to break down the solids. Many campsites, aires etc, especially abroad use septic tanks and thus don't want you using Elsan Blue etc.

A very good and cheaper alternative is a biological clothes washing liquid and the bio bit breaks down the solids and the smells are kept under control. If you notice a smell you are probably not using quite enough bio liquid!

Give it try - you will find that lots of people use it.

We're well used to 'fosse septique' system, we have one at home, in the caravan we had and now in the MH we will use Elsan Green or equivalent which is fosse septique friendly...

Gerald Arseneault

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
St. Paul les Dax, France
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
Since 1967
We are scheduled to pick up our new 2017 Leader Camp on 15 Nov, are you happy with it. We are anxious to get it. Are you happy with yours, any issues?
Thanks
Gerry

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Most things seem to have been covered, Check how to reset the water dump valve when the temperature drops below 4C Normally a red button/switch on the boiler. That one caught me out. On Saturday you can still do some shopping for things you might need. Remember most shops are closed on Sundays in France. Happy touring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back