LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a right-hand drive Fiat Ducato X290 van conversion. Travelling around during the Christmas period I struggled to get my feet warm enough when driving. It was as though there was a cold draft, especially at motorway speeds. Had the heater almost on full blast and set to 'feet', but only made the rest of the cab too hot.

And the problem was only really apparent on the driver's side. When my wife was at the wheel, she also complained; whereas on the passenger side the footwell felt fine and cosy.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced similar and if there is an easy solution?

Oh and by the way, SWMBO has already suggested thicker socks... ;)

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I think it must be a common problem with motorhomes, driving to Shrewsbury yesterday and my left foot was on fire while the right foot had icicles hanging off it, I may have exaggerated a bit there but I am sure you get the gist. Ours is a Ford tranny.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We've got a right-hand drive Fiat Ducato X290 van conversion. Travelling around during the Christmas period I struggled to get my feet warm enough when driving. It was as though there was a cold draft, especially at motorway speeds. Had the heater almost on full blast and set to 'feet', but only made the rest of the cab too hot.

And the problem was only really apparent on the driver's side. When my wife was at the wheel, she also complained; whereas on the passenger side the footwell felt fine and cosy.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced similar and if there is an easy solution?

Oh and by the way, SWMBO has already suggested thicker socks... ;)

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Our Fiat is the same, freezing on the driver's side! Other threads on the subject have talked about blocking some vents but I haven't discovered them yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I recall mention of something similar, but not aware of the details. It would certainly good if there's a straightforward 'fix'.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have mentioned it before.. On the Fiats I have had I have to turn the air intake to recirculate other wise I freeze ( while Woman gets TOO toasty ! )

The vents mentioned that often cause issues are right underneath the cab,, You have to get under there and look for a couple of black plastic thing ( one on each side of the cab ) that are black.. One side is usually a pucka blanking thing but the other side a louvre'd vent.
Also look at the door.. Open the door and look at the end of it just below the latching mechanism
I can offer no rhyme or reason or model numbers but SOME doors have a louvre cut in them and some don't If you do have them gaffa tape is your friend !!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We used to have the same problem with our Swift and then the Pilote. As the heat in the front rises to the ceiling cold air rushes between the seats to fill the void left by the hot air. So you get a sort of convection current going. The hot air you have just heated then moves to the back and cools and it starts all over again. If you can it maybe worth having the heating on in the back while on the move. We also try and warm things up before we set off especially if it's very cold.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i found my feet cold in my x290 as well.
can anyone advise where the louvered area that one can fit a blanking plate is located? I’ve had a good look around and cant find it.
I got a blanking plate for the x250 (as i had the p/n) from the Fiat dealer and i was hoping to find it and find it the same as the x290 - but i’m struggling to find it -

the exploded drawing printout from the dealer showed it at the back of the PVC chassis, but i expected to find it under the front seat area....
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cab-draughts-and-vents-a-mod.121156/#post-1671864

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I had a really good look around under my x290 today and can’t see the louvred grilles anywhere.... maybe they have been removed? anyone found them on the x290?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I had a look under mine last year. Couldn't find any vents but we still have a freezing draught around the feet on drivers side. I am getting suspicions about the fridge which is located behind the driver's seat and I would like to take a look at behind the outside grilles if I could work out how to remove them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back