Cleaning fresh water tanks.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by shezza, Mar 27, 2010.

1. shezza

shezza Read Only Funster

Hi, All I was just wondering as we are getting our MH ready for the main season what method of puryfing do members use for their water tanks IE Milton,Puritabs ect.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

We use Milton,but never drink from the tank.

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Campden tablets obtainable from home brewing suppliers, if its good enough for beer and wine its good enough for water. We do drink the water never been a problem.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. wasp

wasp Funster

We use milton but again, we dont drink the water:thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. dencol

dencol Read Only Funster

I use 'puriclean' bit pricey but have been using for a few years with no problems so sticking to what works for me.

Don't normally drink the water straight from tap, tend to boil and use for tea / coffee etc but use straight from the tap for cleaning teeth never had a problem. I do buy one or two large cheap bottles of water from supermarket every so often and then fill these up from the site tap for drinking water, again never had a problem.

I normally clean the tank once a year with puricleanpricey, then two or three time a year fill the tank to the top with tap water and run van for a day or two to agitate the water in the tank before completely draining the tank, reckon that the chemicals the water company put in the water to keep it safe in the pipes will work on the vans tank.

Colin

6. 747

747 Read Only Funster

Hi there,

I use Milton but you must be aware that if the solution is too strong, the Milton attacks metal (it tells you on the bottle).

If you fill your tank about one quarter full with a weak solution then go for a drive, the tank gets thoroughly cleaned (especially with all the new potholes). Pump the solution through the taps to clean the pipework and drain it off.

Simples.

I intend to change over to the brewers formula as I have heard it is better.

Put a bit of liquid bio soap and water in your wastewater tank at the same time and clean both at the same time. Remember to pour the wastewater mix down your sink at home and not down a roadside gully. It is a bad habit to get into because a lot of gullies do not necessarily go to a treatment works but into rivers and streams.

Must dash, heading up the West Coast of Scotland shortly (just in time for more snow).:Sad:

7. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

Not sure why you would not drink the water as if it is safe for a new born, surely it will be ok for us older people shall we say, I am not saying i drink the water all the time but certainly do not refuse to:Confused:

8. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster