clarification and help with my insurance options (1 Viewer)

Ondrej

Free Member
Apr 12, 2017
herne bay
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello everybody, I would appreciate your more experienced opinion...

Long story short: Me and my girlfriend are currently living in Kent, renting a house, both of us having a private car. My girlfriend got a job in Scotland and will move there in ~ 2 months time. I plan to stay in Kent for a little while due to work, but to make it more interesting I though about living in motorhome (which I have been seriously tempted for a quite a while but my partner did not share my enthusiasm. So this seems as a great opportunity... to give it a go

I found a beautiful old hymer C-class 1991 in neighbourhood which seems to be well maintained and in general seems perfect for my needs and driving licence up to 3,5tons (EUROPEAN LICENSE!); As this is kind of a trial project I don't want to spent 25 000 pounds for a motorhome.

I spent 2 full days gathering information about insurance options as would actually live in the motorhome full time, so it makes it more complicated... + other points to consider (EU lisence, not owning other car)

to summarise it:
I have got B driving license - EUROPEAN license for 11 years
I have got 26 year old motorhome of ~ 9000 pounds value
I have job in kent, Won't have pernament address there in kent; and I potentialy could have an address of rented flat in Scotland in future (july..?)
I wont have my other private car apart from MH (I plan to sell it and use MH only), but I am named driver on my partners car (potentially I could transfer it on myself)
I am fully employed paying taxes; registered with GP there in kent.

Full timer insurance:
- Comfort insurance - requires full UK license for more than 2 years, and MH value more then 25000
- MHFacts - requires full UK license (not sure about 2 years period)
- AIB insurance - does full timer only for MH under 10 years of age
- Adrian Flux - quoted 2050pounds / year with my 2 years of no claim bonus (NO need for UK driving license!!!)

Non full time/regular MH insurance:
- ClubCare insurance - Accepts EU driving license, I can travel with MH as much and as often as I would like to but I can not live in motorhome. I need access to other vehicle (named driver is enough) costs 590 for my self, 850 with my partner on insurance.
- Caravan Guard - limited usage up to 9 months / year
- AIB - quoted 700 for my and partner on policy BUT I have to own other vehicle...

How "grey" is this option?:
* take a regular MH policy + Renting a flat with together with my partner in Scotland and having job in Kent and be named on her private car policy ... well in theory in this case for commuting the MH seems the only option to be honest :D

other option would be:
* more than 2000 pounds / year for fultimer policy with Adrian Flux insurance (500 excess)
* get an address localy in kent and be named on my partners car in scotland (I dont like this option at all)

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience?

Many thanks !

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Try Towergate "classic" ins via
2gether ins brokers(Funster discount) ,but not sure on the full-time issue .
Good luck (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
With all the money at stake and the loads of questions i reckon spending 15 pounds and fully subscribing would be a sound investment . Even i could give some advice abut long terming in a motor home :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ondrej

Ondrej

Free Member
Apr 12, 2017
herne bay
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Try Towergate "classic" ins via
2gether ins brokers(Funster discount) ,but not sure on the full-time issue .
Good luck (y)
Thank you, will try them ... so is this "funster thing" the reason why every insurance asks me where I heard about them? If I am member of any club or so there might be few % off the price? Or do they just ask just to know for their future marketing stategies...

With all the money at stake and the loads of questions i reckon spending 15 pounds and fully subscribing would be a sound investment . Even i could give some advice abut long terming in a motor home :rolleyes:
Hi Wigster, true ... sorry, all sorted now :)

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Thank you, will try them ... so is this "funster thing" the reason why every insurance asks me where I heard about them? If I am member of any club or so there might be few % off the price? Or do they just ask just to know for their future marketing stategies...

This may help

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hello and welcome.
Comfort also says the mh needs to be less than 10 years old.
Guess it depends on how long you are intending to live in it, will you intend to join your girlfriend in a few months or so? In that case you may not need FT insurance. Although I would recommend to be careful and upfront about it as you wouldn't want them to void your insurance.
Also check over the mh very carefully, living in it is different from the odd holiday.
I bought my first van, with the Comfort limitations, ouch, just before Christmas last year, intending to FT from the end of this year. Have spent a lot of time in it already and happy.
Good luck with all your decisions.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back