Claims data on MIB (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Briefly. We made a fault insurance claim in October 2023 (car). I’m the the policy holder, my named driver wife had the bump! Renewal letter arrived due in Feb. Did some market research and was pulled up by Saga for not declaring my accident, although I did declare my wife’s. Apparently I’m on the database as having had the accident. Did an online quote from LV and was pulled for inconsistent data, presumably the same thing. Ageas who hold the policy have us correctly recorded and have no idea. Surely this can’t be right. Otherwise why ask separately if you or named drivers have any claims. What happens if I just want a policy in my own name, presumably it would show up as me having had an accident. Tried to ring MIB for clarification, but in the interests of proving a better service they are no longer answering the phone. Does anybody know how this works?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Was the question ‘have you had any claims on your policy’ rather than have you had any accidents? Although you weren’t driver at time, the policy on which you claimed would be yours? Insurance forms are a bit of a nightmare.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Ask them for all the information that they hold about you- it’s called a Subject Access Request. (SAR)
They are obliged to give it to you for a very nominal charge, if any.

If they hold any inaccurate personal data they must by law put it right.

I’d be concerned anyway but also because technically you might have been “refused” insurance which is a premium bumper upper and you have to declare it next time

MORE INFO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barryh
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Was the question ‘have you had any claims on your policy’ rather than have you had any accidents? Although you weren’t driver at time, the policy on which you claimed would be yours? Insurance forms are a bit of a nightmare.
Not sure now. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
That’s a fob off. They should supply the data w/i 20 days if my memory serves me correctly.

Yes the company will hold the source of the data, but the MIB might still hold inaccurate data.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not really a fob-off although probably designed to stop people making applications. Specifically, Article 12 of the GDPR says data controllers must respond to a SAR “without undue delay and in any event within one month of receipt of the request”. It's possible to delay that further with good reason (Recovery of records that have been archived off-site for example), but they have to keep the applicant in the picture.

I would submit the SAR to the MIB as it will show that you mean business. You can also tell any other companies you are getting quotes from, that you have submitted a SAR as you suspect the data has been incorrectly logged.
Also, do submit a SAR to the existing insurance company as that should show what the company sent to the MIB. Details of how to do this should be on the web-site. If not, a simple letter addressed to 'The Data Controller' at the company head office address, saying that under the terms of GDPR, you are submitting and Subject Access Request is all that is required.

In the meantime, I would further write to the existing company and ask that they continue insurance but that you will request a refund of the premium difference between last year and this, if the recorded data proves to be incorrect. That way you are demonstrating that you are prepared to be reasonable while both SAR's are being processed. By writing, if they do not reply it can be argued that they have accepted your offer. Do everything in writing from now on. Phone conversations are impossible to prove especially when you are on the back foot. It will also be extremely helpful should you have to take the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman and/or the ICO. Always send any letters 'signed for' and print off the proof or delivery. Any emails. under options you should find 'Request receipt, and request read receipt'. Make sure you keep and automated responses.

Hopefully, but taking positive action, it will cause them to look at the matter and take the appropriate response long before the 'one month' is up. Even if they do sort it, do not cancel the SAR. Next year you may have the same issue, or with your house insurance etc, so keep everything for at least 5 years.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
This has happened to us before. Hubby is policy holder but Son had accident. I declared Sons accident but was asked about Husbands one. It was obvious dates were the same. They removed one accident from file. When other insurers check it's the policy holders that shows as having the accident - Not sure why.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If a named driver makes a claim it will be registered against the policy holder and affect the policy holder's claim history. So correctly a claim by the policy holder in turn affecting the policy holder's no claims bonus.

It may not be an accident of the policy holder as not the driver, but insurers are as interested as to which policy is the risk as much as the individuals that create the risk.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So if it is against the policyholder but a named driver had the accident what is stopping the named driver starting there own policy as they have no claims against them?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
So if it is against the policyholder but a named driver had the accident what is stopping the named driver starting there own policy as they have no claims against them?
…but they would have to declare their accident.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Bottom line insurers have you screwed as a potential policyholder.

If it's your own policy, anyone on that policy having a bump affects your own claim history. You yourself may not have had the bump but it will count against you. Even a windscreen claim, albeit not affecting a no claims bonus, counts against you and needs to be logged on a new policy.

A named driver won't be accruing their own no claims bonus. If they want their own policy they will start with a zero no claims bonus. They will still have to declare their own accident history.

I very recently took out a new policy for a basic car I've bought as a runaround as the PVC as a daily driver was proving impractical (especially after I bumped it into someone else's car). Albeit a new policy with new insurer, it has it's own claims history and risk compared to the PVC which continues it's own standalone policy. I had to declare the recent accident, and also a windscreen claim for the car policy. The no claims (or lack of), from the PVC didn't transfer to the car, as each vehicle gets its own no claims. So the car would have started from nothing if I had not had a NCB unused from the car I'd sold a year earlier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back