Cigarette Lighter plug OR Hella plug

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mentaliss, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

I'm a bit confused, what is the purpose of the HELLA , what does it do that a cigar lighter doesn't?? what is it used for?
    These plugs are both 12 volt but the Hella single pole plug voltage range is normally 6-24 volts and copes with more amperage, I have a 'Berker' manufactuer Hella single pole socket fitted near the door so this can be used to power up a 12 volt device outside the van?? but most 12 volt appliances ie; kettles, phone charger's, TV, would come supplied with the Cigar type plugs
    I need to fit another 12 volt outlet inside the MH for the TV, should I use a Hella single pole plug and change the rest of the Cigar plug device's to Hella thus keeping the 12 volt connection system the same throughout the MH ....

PS. the Cab 12 volt cigar power supply stays as original for sat nav, phone,etc

2. chaser

chaser Funster

You can get plugs that fit both, mostly they are red at the end of the cig plug and the red bit takes off and it will then fit the other sort. Hardly any difference in price

3. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

I imagine it is more reliable. The cigarette lighter was never really intended to be an electrical socket. It has poor contact, is too large and is easily tugged out or gives intermittent contact.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The Hella is a more robust design and will take more amperage. All my sockets are the Hella type other than the dash which is only used for the sat nav. The fridge in the garage is on a Hella and that does get warm after a long run, so if it was on a cigarette socket it would melt.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Like Dave, all our 12v sockets are Hella apart from the two in the cab.

I already had a couple of multi-socket adapters (one of which has USB sockets as well) from our previous van so bought a couple of Hella plugs on eBay and changed them. The adapters plug into the van sockets and the various chargers plug into the adapters.

A similar solution can be used where the 12v sockets are of the Clipsal or W4 two pin varieties. The main thing, as always, is to ensure that the circuit is not overloaded.

6. JJ

JJ Funster

The 1987 Hymer 660S has both...

Belt and braces.

Sound thinking.

JJ :Cool:

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Compass avantgarde got all three cig at the front , hella outside, two pin in the rear area, belt braces and suspenders :Doh:

8. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Hi Have you tried your puncture repair kit ,supplied by Rapido.I have a spare wheel but the plug on the pump fits the Hella socket which i use when checking presure in my tyres.:thumb:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hella is far superior to a normal fag lighter plug and socket.

When inserted the plug is positively latched......unlike the other type which relies on friction of the negative (-) side plates to keep the plug in.
    On those, the spring loaded positive centre pin can push the plug out and cause a poor positive connection which could cause overheating.

• Like Like x 2
  10. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Cigarette lighter socket mechanically and electrically complete cr&p!

About good for 0.3 Amp!

Hella socket designed by engineers. Good for 16A without molten plastic or fire.

:--)