Cheating ??

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by Cobweb, May 6, 2015.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi . As a new owner of a brand new Kalkoff e bike I am wondering what I have got myself into . The few times I have cycled on it I have had several loud comments " That's cheating ! " from pedestrians as well as other bikers . Will this go on since it is a bit annoying to say the least . To be honest I may have muttered the same under my breath pushing my old bike up a killer hill when a couple of octogenarians have zoomed past on their e bike . I do feel like I am cheating and unfaithful looking at my trusty old Trek bike . The poor bike has to to be left behind after several years of taking me on most of the Voie Verts in France and in Germany the Danube, Rhein and Moselle, Saar and many more great paths . I was quite upset when husband promised to sell my bike to a good friend .....I had to put my foot down and even with a chance of upsetting my friend I told him NO....NOT YET . So. The old bike will be left behind and I tell you ....this flipping German contraption will have to be absolutely amazing for me to get rid of my dear old bike if and when my Plantar Fasciitis gets better .

• Like Like x 1
  2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Its not cheating as the Kalkhoff is a Pedelec and you still have to pedal to get up the hills. Its the twist and go crowd who don't exert any effort on inclines.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Cheating?
    If e-power assistance is cheating then by definition so are "Shimano" (or equivalent) gears - both make cycling "easier".

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mel

Mel Funster

I think it was the University of Utrect .
    They said that anyone with an e-bike does more exersise than people with non e-bikes.
    The reason being that they use them more and the exersise is more gentle.
    You wont have the problem if you use it over here as it seems everyone here as one.
    Nice bike by the way .
    Enjoy it they are probably wishing they had one.

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Just shout back....."Tell that to my prosthetic leg"!! You will find that they suddenly go very subdued.........(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Oh yes we do :moon2::wink:

• Like Like x 4
  7. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Cheating? or Envy?
    Perhaps the new fangled electricity hurts some peoples Luddite principles. Just give them time.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Ignore them!...they are talking rubbish...most knocker's are the first to jump in a car or on a bus rather then cycle:rolleyes:

your choice of a quality center drive bike means you will cycle a hell of a lot more. The kind of mountain bikes I ride are very popular in Germany with the younger crowd...so no stigma there I can assure you..or indeed anywhere in Europe:coffee:

saying that, in over 6 years e cycling have only had it shouted at me twice? and that in jest and good humour:)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

There's a guy in the next village who boasts the virtues of the Green Party to the extent of not owning any kind of motor vehicle.
    Then he thumbs a lift :doh:

They are among us

• Like Like x 9
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Yes, and he dosent brew up, wash and shower in warm water, nor eat a hot meal.............

• Like Like x 5
  11. Cobweb

Cobweb

Just an update on my new Kalkhof E bike . Having now cycled 1000.50 Km on it in Germany and France I have got to confess that I love it ! It has totally changed my cycling experience and now I love scooting up a hill leaving husband behind .....as a piddling little dot on my wing mirror . Husband says that he is happy to get so much more exercise but I have noticed that HE now prefers less hilly terrain . Just a few weeks ago we were on the Voie Vert from Cluny heading for a surprisingly hilly section near the tunnel and as I zoomed up the hill there was a school party on the top of the hill applauding me ! I must say I did feel a bit of a cheat at the time . It is not a free ride by any means since you still have to work hard at times but by being able to go further I think that I still get the same amount of exercise and maybe more than before on my old Trek bike . We now look forward to doing some more cycling here on the Yorkshire Moors which is something I would not have attempted before .

• Like Like x 3
  12. peter marshall

peter marshall

I was watching a video on FB yesterday showing the Copenhagen Wheel which is a replacement wheel for the rear, it fits on your push bike with a wifi connection (I think) to an iphone mounted on the handlebars to select the terrain you are on seems a good idea. Pete

Ps they are pedal assisted no throttle

13. chaser

chaser Funster

We came back from France with an electric bike each, we have now done more miles on bikes in a week than we have done in twenty years , I have now clocked up 28 miles and probably done a quarter of that without the assistance so can't be less healthy or we wouldn't have done it at all(y):)

• Like Like x 2
  14. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

so YOUR being accused of cheating eh ? just imagine how chris froome feels ! at least youve not had a cup of piss thrown in your face i hope !!!

15. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

They are only jealous or ignorant about how they work and get you out more.
    They are excellent and a god send where I live in the Peak District.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

It's great that you're enjoying your cycling now with your new bike.
    Cheating? That implies some sort of competition ..... Just who is losing out to your "unfair advantage"?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Judge Mental

don't come much greener then car sharing...

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

True but just a bit hypocritical :rolleyes:

19. Judge Mental

Maybe...unless they offer Something towards fuel?

20. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

There's a member on here who refers to my Kalkhoff as a "Spacca Bike" mind he's maybe not having a go at the bike, but me (n)