Cheap LTE-4g/3G router looks like a good bargain. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is second hand refurbished and the guy has quite a few. He has just dropped the price down to £34.00.

They are rebranded Huawei B593u12 and I believe they have external antennas.

I am ordering one today.

Please note these are not the fit in your pocket types and you will need to organise a power connector if you are off mains. I will be fitting this in a cupboard in my van with a roof mounted antenna and connecting it to my existing wifi router set up.

Just posting in case anyone else is interested.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looks Ok especially if you need some wired ports for printers or whatever, also the USB connector could perhaps be used for a shared hard drive if needed.
I don't know why you need to connect it to your existing wifi router though as it has wifi. It doesn't actually state that it is unlocked as far as I can see, I assume it is.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had one of those for a while. It's ok but I have not found it to be any better than the little battery ones. It has two connectors on the back for a pair of little sticky up antennas that seem to make no difference to the built in antenna. Never tried it with an on the roof type external antenna, simply because I have yes to find one that works even widely close to the makers claims

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looks Ok especially if you need some wired ports for printers or whatever, also the USB connector could perhaps be used for a shared hard drive if needed.
I don't know why you need to connect it to your existing wifi router though as it has wifi. It doesn't actually state that it is unlocked as far as I can see, I assume it is.
I have a wired router in my van that links into my Ubiquiti directional wifi router. also connected to this router is my Wireline router and 2 computers.
I want a single point of access for wifi rather than having 2 that I have to swap over depending what gear I am using.

So basically with this (with wifi off) it will handle my 3G/4G routing it to my master router. My Ubiquiti router will route long range wifi to the same router. My wireline router does wired internet again back to my main router. This main router then handles my server and computer and provides wifi to my tablets/phones/laptops.

So when I turn up on a campsite that has wifi I don't have to change anything. When I am on the road I don't have to change anything etc etc.
Basically just switch on and go.

The master router is configured to prioritise internet connections. If wireline is available it will use that first, if not it will fall back to wifi, if that fails it will connect via 4G/3G..
All without me having to do anything.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never tried it with an on the roof type external antenna, simply because I have yes to find one that works even widely close to the makers claims
This is the one I am looking at.

It has been highly recommended at a number of places.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was sure I had checked that out. Just gone through my research notes and...
http://www.4gltemall.com/huawei-b593-4g-antenna.html

I do think it is for the 4G side?
I agree ... it's for 3G/4G not wifi.

The router is actually powered by 12v so it can be connected directly to your MH's system, something that we realised when we got ours after signing up for '3' last year who were trialling these types of routers in our area instead of the usual MIFIs ... we have the Huawei B310 which is very similar and has the 2 antenna (3G/4G) connections on the back behind the long removable cover.

http://m.huawei.com/enmobile/consumer/smart-home/lte-router/detail/b310-en.htm

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was sure I had checked that out. Just gone through my research notes and...
http://www.4gltemall.com/huawei-b593-4g-antenna.html

I do think it is for the 4G side?
Thanks for that - all these antenna look the same. (to me) :) And they would be good solid connections compared to some of those used on MiFis. I think you would need to use them external to the vehicle (as you plan) unless you were prepared to move it around and put it near a window. It might work against a skylight but the sun would cause things to overheat I fear. :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
This is the one I am looking at.

It has been highly recommended at a number of places.[/QUOTE

For that sort of money, I would be interested in what you think of it. So far I have found the antenna performance and manufacturers gain figures are a bit like car claimed fuel consumption, on another planet. :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back