Cheap car cams (question )

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by LDV400, Mar 18, 2014.

1. LDV400

LDV400 Funster

Hi all,
    After all the talk about cheap car-cams (£13 ish ) I bought one :Smile:
    Seams to be o/k for the price, the question is it say,s to put a sd card up to 32gb in it what has other funsters put in the cam,

Thanks Sammy. :thumb:

2. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

I have two in car cameras, one for Motorhome and one for car.

I have a class 10 8gb micro SD card in the Motorhome camera and a class 6 ( it will not take a class 10) 16gb in the car camera

The only thing is if you record in SD in 5min sections then there are a lot of files to review, to get the one bit of video you want.

But if you record in HD it takes up more memory so you might be ok with a 32gb card.

A small price to pay for peace of mind.

Only had to use it once when going around lake Maggiore in M/Home and an Italian White van man was across the white line going round a corner and hit my mirror!

Totally smashed his, dented mine but road was so narrow that we could not stop.

But good to watch the replay!!

3. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I bought a cheap, twin-lens camera and a 32M sd card. When I pushed the card in, it went IN, so had to be sent back (at my expense) for "repair" before it had even been used. :cry:

32M gives approx. 40mins capture on both lenses (set up for panorama - almost 180deg coverage). IF there was an accident, I may have problems "saving/protecting" the evidence, as the menu system is poor. I could switch the camera off and hope that lightening didn't strike twice.

Unfortunately, 2y down the line, the camera is not reliable. It has been running 6h per day whilst we holiday this week, but it switched off at lunchtime today and hasn't agreed to restart. This has happened in the past, then suddenly it works again.:Angry:

Hope you have more luck than me - Gordon

PS my son bought a ???? from Shanghai (£33?) and there was a limit to which sd cards it would accept - please check. I think it wouldn't take high speed cards.

4. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Way to get around retaining video data if you have accident/ incident is to have two Micro SD cards. One in camera and one stored in Motorhome

Decided to only have one in car as we are not likely to be away for a number of days in the car, but are in the Motorhome.

You can always turn camera off and take out SD card, but you then loose use of camera, hence the two SD cards for Motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

A while ago there was a thread giving a link to ebay selling a camera for £133 odd. Can't find it now. Has anybody got a link please?

6. tofo

tofo Funster

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Or, you could spend a bit more and buy a better quality cam designed to automatically save "incidents" ( bumps ) or manually save interesting things and the software to review the footage quickly.
    A cheap cam will only ever be a compromise between reliability and usability, but of course, some of them are very good quality and work very well.
    I have a Roadhawk fitted and it "inadvertently" recorded a mechanic trying to destroy my engine while it was in for a service last week!

Allan

8. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Look at www.techmoan.com he has a number of car cam reviews.

He has recommended a cheap car cam for £32.50.

I bought one for the car it works ok.

I bought the rear view mirror car cam for the Motorhome as I have no rear vision through the back of the van so can angle the mirror to cover the other side of the road when we go on the continent.

Two cameras for about £65 and the Motorhome one is 2 years old and functioning perfectly.

You pays your money and you take your choice

9. LDV400

LDV400 Funster

32gb card

Hi all
    Thanks for the reply,s will put a 32gb card and see what happens:Smile:

Sammy

10. Microchip

Microchip Funster

Go on fleabay and type in Blaupunkt dash cam, very good small camera. Covers all you need if you buy 32 gb sd card as well :thumb:

Keith