Chausson Side wall/Floor Construction (1 Viewer)

gus500

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
bexhill
Funster No
MH
exploring the market
Exp
I'm a newbe
I am new to the world of motorhomes, and have whittled my choice of a new machine down to a Chausson (I think!). One thing I've noticed is that they do not use an aluminium extrusion (unlike the likes of Autotrail etc) at the intersection between the sidewall and floor. Has this been an issue with the manufactures that used, or still use this method, and is that why others appear to have moved to the metal extrusion construction?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
aluminium extrusion (unlike the likes of Autotrail etc) at the intersection between the sidewall and floor
Hi and welcome..
What model are you looking ato? ?

Nor sure what you are referring to.. the sidewalls and floor meet on the underside an I don't recall seeing any extrusions used there , just sealed with mastic ,but where the walls meet the roof I think they use aluminium capping there...
Andy..

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The outer walls are polyester. Far superior to aluminium when it comes to damage resistance.
We'd have another for that reason alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

gus500

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
bexhill
Funster No
MH
exploring the market
Exp
I'm a newbe
Hi and welcome..
What model are you looking ato? ?

Nor sure what you are referring to.. the sidewalls and floor meet on the underside an I don't recall seeing any extrusions used there , just sealed with mastic ,but where the walls meet the roof I think they use aluminium capping there...
Andy..
Hi Andy, sorry for the misunderstanding. Its a Chausson 630 that I'm considering. The area that I'm interested in, is the right angle join, which is at ground level, where the floor and the sidewall meet. It sort of looks weak, compared to the manufactures that use an aluminium extrusion to couple the pair together.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had 2 Chaussons and loads on here too never heard of a problem. I think the extrusions are probably cosmetic if you think about it they would have to extend a long way up the wall to anchor the side if they were structural.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy, sorry for the misunderstanding. Its a Chausson 630 that I'm considering. The area that I'm interested in, is the right angle join, which is at ground level, where the floor and the sidewall meet. It sort of looks weak, compared to the manufactures that use an aluminium extrusion to couple the pair together.

That's what I thought you ment but as I said wasn't aware of any aluminium extrusions used there...
The floor will be fixed to the chassis and as far as I've seen the walls are located with some sort of dowels as bonded to the floor structure... I'm sure there will be some sort of fixing by way of screws but they are hidden...
I'm fairly sure on mine (620 ) they use aluminium capping on the joint between roof and walls to hide and protect the fixings...
Andy..

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Plenty of Chaussons on the road including an 06 Allegro we used to have, cracking van sometimes wish that we still had it, would have saved all the money spent on other vans since then. Don't worry about how it's made if it suits you then buy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back