Chasis Extension

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Dennis Webster, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Dennis Webster

Dennis Webster Read Only Funster

Hello everyone,
    I have a scooter rack which needs to be fitted to the chasis of a 2001 Fiat Ducato 2.8 turbo diesel. Mirage Motorhome.
    The chasis doesn't come all the way to the back and plates need to ne welded/bolted onto the existing chasis. Has anyone fitted a towbar to this chasis and if so where were the fixing points?

Much obliged for any help.
    Dennis

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

First work out if you can do it and not overload the back axle. Do a search on here for "back axle loading". You probably won't like the results.

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Bolting may be preferable to welding as it may be aluminium and as Brian says check the weights as the rear wheel acts like a fulcrum and the weight is multiplied the further back the rack.

4. Dennis Webster

Dennis Webster Read Only Funster

Thanks Lads. The weight is within the tolerance and the nosing figures. The rack will be pretty close to the rear. Plenty of Companies in England specialize in this but a round trip of 800+ miles is not appealing. I have fabricators who can do this but I wondered if anyone else had fitted one.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think I hate you, we had no chance :(

Sorry I can't help with the fabrication. Bolting sounds a good idea, if it goes a bit wrong much easier to correct.