charging voltage from solar?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by seanoo, Nov 28, 2013.

1. seanoo

seanoo Funster

hi all , i have just bought two alphaline calcium sealed lead acid 125ah batteries. i have 210 watts of solar on the roof and a solar boost 2000e mppt charge controller. my question is that what is the best voltage to set my controller at? i dont want to cook my new batteries but obviously want them to charge in the optimum time. i can set the charge voltage to anywhere betweem 13.5 and 14.5 v. its only a 2 stage controller, boost up to charge set point then it just holds at the set point. thanks for any help you can give me , sean

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A sealed lead acid battery should be bulk charged at 14.4 volts and floated at 13.6 volts.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

my personal set-up is 180w total solar panels on the roof /30amp solar regulater in van with digital display which shows constant 13.5 v/14.2v at batteries 2 x 115amp +1 80amp + charge to cranking battery when stationary /1000w (peak 2000w)M/S inverter had no problems last year sun or not .runs all entertainment and microwave no EHU needed .
    works for me :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret Read Only Funster

There is quite some variation depending on the specific battery and its chemistry.
    Ask the battery maker.

To achieve the best result the charge voltages also need to be temperature compensated as they vary quite a bit depending on the temperature of the battery (lower temperatures require higher voltages).
    If your controller is a good one you will be able to fit a thermocouple.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Like Like x 2
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013