Charging the leisure battery from the engine

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jonybakery, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jonybakery

Jonybakery Read Only Funster

Hi All,

I'm new to motorhoming and have recently bought a 2001 Mclouis 690. I did my first trip last week and loved it. One concern I have is that the leisure batteries are not being charged when the engine is in use. Does anyone know how to test the above or what the problem might be?

Thanks
    Jon

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

could be a fuse in the wire to the leisure battery or possible the split charge relay has failed.

both will be near the engine battery.

3. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

The best way to see if the batteries are charging is to connect a voltmeter across them and run the engine at about half speed. There should be some increase in voltage, if not look for the possible faults as above. It will take agood run to actualy charge them.

Mike

4. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

When the starter battery is fully charged from the alternator the leisure battery only receives a very small trickle charge so it might seem as if it is not being charged.

As suggested above the only sure way is to check the terminal voltage with a digital multimeter. Start the engine and ensure that the ignition light goes out, increase the engine revs and check that the voltage increases, as I said it may only be a small increase.

If there is no increase in voltage then you have a fault which could be as simple as a blown fuse or a poor connection somewhere.

Phil.

5. Jonybakery

Jonybakery Read Only Funster

Thanks guys. I measured the voltage across the batteries and revving the engine had no affect on the voltage. Would it be best for me to get the van into a garage?

Cheers

6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

It's worth checking the fuses & conections if you can, otherwise it does look like a visit to a vehicle electrician. Try to pick somewhere that deals with vehicle electrics, many garages are not that good in that area.

Mike